Videogames: The War (for equality) Has Just Begun

Jace, Extat

The recommended system requirements for shadow of mordor are some of the highest I've ever seen:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 | AMD Radeon HD 7970

DirectX: Version 11

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Hard Drive: 40 GB available space

This game better deliver in the looks department; I don't want to see another Watch Dogs. Anyway, I'm wondering why I used an i5 in my build earlier this year, given that i7s are starting to be recommended...

My conflict of interest? Huh?

Lou is a beautiful game with a great story. The problem with its gameplay is that there is very little choice or consequence. Which can be fine if the gameplay itself is super fun and compelling, but I found it kind of meh. Same for BIOSHOCK infinite - very similar games to me. I was just playing through this annoying game to get to the good story bits.

The recommended system requirements for shadow of mordor are some of the highest I've ever seen:

This game better deliver in the looks department; I don't want to see another Watch Dogs. Anyway, I'm wondering why I used an i5 in my build earlier this year, given that i7s are starting to be recommended...

Whoa. :stunned: Well I was thinking of upgrading my card anyway...

6 minutes of Bloodborne gameplay. :bowdown:

My conflict of interest? Huh?

Lou is a beautiful game with a great story. The problem with its gameplay is that there is very little choice or consequence. Which can be fine if the gameplay itself is super fun and compelling, but I found it kind of meh. Same for BIOSHOCK infinite - very similar games to me. I was just playing through this annoying game to get to the good story bits.

I found there to be enough choice to keep the gameplay interesting. In most places you can go in shooting, sneak passed all of the enemies, or playing hide-and-seek and eleminate them with stealth takedowns. If you're talking choice as in different weapons/moves to use, then yeah it was pretty basic. It focuses more on planning your approach.

Consequences? You die and have to try again. Same as almost every other game ever. Not enough? If you screw up enemies will chase you down and overwhelm you. If you manage to run and hide then they are still going to be more alert because they know you are around. Or you use up all of your supplies and may be at a disadvantage in the next fight (not really an issue on Normal, but on higher difficutlies supplies are scarce). If you take too much damage you start limping around. How much consequence do you need? It's giving you more than most games would.

Fine with me if you just didn't like it. But there was enough to the gameplay to keep me satisfied throughout.

In the best games your choices matter. Not just the tactical "using guns or bricks or stealth" but the bigger ones. Walking dead has horrible gameplay - but absolutely amazing depth of choices and consequences.

Sid Meier once said something like "the best gameplay is a series of interesting choices", and I subscribe to that. LOU just didn't have that for me.

Whoa. :stunned: Well I was thinking of upgrading my card anyway...

Be careful when upgrading, otherwise you might end up with a shiny new computer when you're done! That's what happened to me earlier this year...

In the best games your choices matter. Not just the tactical "using guns or bricks or stealth" but the bigger ones. Walking dead has horrible gameplay - but absolutely amazing depth of choices and consequences.

Sid Meier once said something like "the best gameplay is a series of interesting choices", and I subscribe to that. LOU just didn't have that for me.

That's just personal preference though. I like choice based games as much as the next guy. I also like the cinematic, linear experiences just as much - provided the story is worth it. I'm sure that having the ability to make major choices in LoU would significantly reduce the best part - the dramatic impact. So I wouldn't go so far as to say the only the best games offer choices that matter. And I found that choices in walking dead (and wolf among us) really didn't have massive consequences. The stories remained largely unchanged (especially in WAU).

I haven't played them, but I was under the impression that they were more interactive stories. So if that's what you're looking for - gameplay consequences that impact the story - then I can see where you'd be disappointed.

Maybe just wait for the movie.

Story has always been secondary for me, so I wasn't bothered by that.

That's really surprising. Are companies actually utilizing all the cores now? Most in the past have not.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived