Videogames: The War (for equality) Has Just Begun

Jace, Extat

Thinking of cancelling my ACU pre-order (because I still haven't bothered to finish Black Flag) and pick up The Last of Us Remastered instead.

So, anyone who's played TLoU, does it live up to the 'best game ever!' hype?

Do not raise your expectations like that because you WILL be disappointed. Nothing ever lives up to the hype. I love the game myself, but I was surprised that it was the most GOTY awarded game of all time.

It's a game I will re-play from time to time for years to come (assuming I still own the hardware of course) because I enjoy the story and characters, not because of the gameplay. So it's like owning the Blu-ray of a favourite movie. It doesn't stack up as a replayable game from the gameplay perspective, though the gameplay is fine for what it needs to do. So if you're a gameplay 1st, 2nd, and 3rd kind of guy then TLOU might be worth a look but you won't be raving about it. If you appreciate games that are more story driven than gameplay driven then it might just be one of your all time favourite games.

For me it's up there as a favourite, but I'd put Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles ahead of it. I'd put it on a par with Naughty Dog's other 7th gen franchise, Uncharted.

In the end I think it's a great game, but nothing's perfect.

Sooo... EA are beta testing a subscription service on XBox 1 - to go live soon.

Currently there's access to only 4 games, but that's likely to expand. It's $5/month or $30/year in the US ($7/month or $40/year here in Aus).

Membership also gets you a 10% discount on any digital purchases (games and DLC) and you get 5 day early access to new games. If you decide to purchase the game, your save game will transfer over. Early play will be available on all the upcoming sports games and Dragon Age: Inquisition. (You can only play the early access for a limited time - so no finishing DA:I in those 5 days and then not needing to buy it).

Also available in Europe and NZ (and the rest of North America, of course)

ign article below...

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/07/29/ea-announces-subscription-service-on-xbox-one-ea-access

It's a game I will re-play from time to time for years to come (assuming I still own the hardware of course) because I enjoy the story and characters, not because of the gameplay. So it's like owning the Blu-ray of a favourite movie. It doesn't stack up as a replayable game from the gameplay perspective, though the gameplay is fine for what it needs to do. So if you're a gameplay 1st, 2nd, and 3rd kind of guy then TLOU might be worth a look but you won't be raving about it. If you appreciate games that are more story driven than gameplay driven then it might just be one of your all time favourite games.

I'm definately a gameplay 1st type. But I can still appreciate a good story, provided the gameplay is at least good enough. After spending a few more hours with the game, I'd say the gameplay is pretty solid. Outside of a few nitpicks. And they really nailed the atmsphere. It was pretty tense trying to sneak past the Clickers in the subway. And the sound of those things have gone right up next to the radio in Silent Hill on the 'game sounds I don't want to hear' list.

It's unforgiving too. I got eaten for throwing a bottle with a Clicker standing next to me. Guess it heard my shirt move. :dunno: And with the scarcity of ammo headshots are really important, but enemy fire is accurate and they don't just stand still and let you line up your shots.

The story is cool, but so far it's been kind of predictable.

I'm definately a gameplay 1st type. But I can still appreciate a good story, provided the gameplay is at least good enough. After spending a few more hours with the game, I'd say the gameplay is pretty solid. Outside of a few nitpicks. And they really nailed the atmsphere. It was pretty tense trying to sneak past the Clickers in the subway. And the sound of those things have gone right up next to the radio in Silent Hill on the 'game sounds I don't want to hear' list.

It's unforgiving too. I got eaten for throwing a bottle with a Clicker standing next to me. Guess it heard my shirt move. :dunno: And with the scarcity of ammo headshots are really important, but enemy fire is accurate and they don't just stand still and let you line up your shots.

The story is cool, but so far it's been kind of predictable.

If a clicker gets close enough to you it can hear you breathe, because it will attack you even if you are standing absolutely still. Either that or their echo-location is able to resolve images at a short distance.

It is a predictable story, but it's enjoyable to watch it unfold.

Sooo... EA are beta testing a subscription service on XBox 1 - to go live soon.

Currently there's access to only 4 games, but that's likely to expand. It's $5/month or $30/year in the US ($7/month or $40/year here in Aus).

Membership also gets you a 10% discount on any digital purchases (games and DLC) and you get 5 day early access to new games. If you decide to purchase the game, your save game will transfer over. Early play will be available on all the upcoming sports games and Dragon Age: Inquisition. (You can only play the early access for a limited time - so no finishing DA:I in those 5 days and then not needing to buy it).

Also available in Europe and NZ (and the rest of North America, of course)

ign article below...

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/07/29/ea-announces-subscription-service-on-xbox-one-ea-access

So a subscription service to be utilized on a platform that requires a different prescription just to get online?

Not sure I like where this is going. :leaving:

Looks like Sony had the chance to allow the EA Access plan and turned them down. I hadn't fully thought through the ramifications, but this article outlines the potential drawbacks pretty well.

Soon, Xbox One gamers will be able to pay $5 a month for a Netflix-like subscription to EA games. The EA Access program is coming exclusively to Xbox One because Sony turned down the idea, stating that the company doesn’t think “asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer.”

That was kind of my initial thought, that it would lead to a slippery slope and other publishers would potentially do the same thing. What really caught my attention though was this:

If you read the EA Access Terms of Service, you’ll notice that the subscription purchase is made directly through Microsoft; that an EA Origin account is required; and that all customer service related questions are directed to Microsoft, not EA. If Sony had embraced EA Access, Sony would have been responsible for all the same burdens.

:stillsick: Ugh. No thank you. If I'm Microsoft, there's no way I want this headache.

Sony makes good points for turning down EA's service. I don't disagree with them. But... It would also mean inviting a service to compete with their own, soon to roll out, PS Now service. And encourage other publishers to do the same. So there's likely a bit of selfishness on their part to it as well.

Yeah, I don't see how this is in any way objectionable. Sony likely turned it down because, as your say, it would compete with their own subscription service.

Uncharted 1+2 were great (never got to play 3). But they were outdone by Tomb Raider.

Sure, but Tomb Raider did come out 4 years after UC2 (which heavily influenced the game). Personally I wouldn't put TR above UC2, but that's just imo. Tbh I didn't care for any characters outside of Lara (and Roth I guess) in Tomb Raider, while UC was full of interesting ones.

Uncharted 1+2 were great (never got to play 3). But they were outdone by Tomb Raider.

I would say it's a wash. I think TR did many things better than UC, but I also think UC did things better than TR. In terms of the games I had most fun with I'd give it to UC. I did one playthrough of TR, cleaned up a few areas for collectibles to get the last of the low hanging fruit (trophies) and that's it never even felt like booting it up again for another run through. I've done multiple plays through of all the UC games just for the fun of it, including after getting the platinum trophies (so not for trophy hunting). Same with TLOU, I've played through that a couple of times, though my rate of return to TLOU is quite low because of the stress of playing it. I'll never platinum TLOU since it has MP trophies, and I don't do MP.

It is interesting that both TR and TLOU introduced an item/weapon modding system through picking up spare parts as you adventure through the world.

However I do hope Naughty Dog takes a few leaves from the TR playbook, because those franchises should feed off each other to keep pushing the genre forward.

Re EA Access. I don't particularly like publisher specific subscription based solutions, because by the time Activision, Ubisoft, etc all set up their $30 ($60 here no doubt) subscription services things will get mighty expensive. Even though I don't know what I'm going to get from month to month I prefer the PSN+ model, and the Onlive model i.e. platform based subscriptions, which cover all publishers under one roof and one fee. But I can see why EA wants all the subscription pie and not just a slice.

Apparently Sony turned EA down, so that explains why it's not coming to PS platforms. But I don't know what the explanation would be for it not coming to PC or Xbox360. And of course there are no games worth playing from EA on Nintendo platforms :-P

Also playing Tales of Graces F at the moment. My first Tales of game. I'm quite enjoying it. I think I'll pick up more Tales games in the future.

Well I actually felt TR was quite a bit like LoU, albeit with much less stealth and much more ammo laying around. And I agree, I too found myself going back to UC a couple times just for the hell of it. The games have a certain charisma and appeal to them that TR lacks (although TR's gameplay is better). I just hope UC4 will have some more exploration, but it's a bit of a catch-22 since opening up the game might lessen the 'cinematic experience' and set-pieces for which the series is known.

One thing I'm not sure of is, didn't Amy Hennig leave Naughty Dog? If so, who's in charge of UC4 now?

Apparently Sony turned EA down, so that explains why it's not coming to PS platforms. But I don't know what the explanation would be for it not coming to PC or Xbox360.

I could see it being a Microsoft decision to allow it on the XB1 and not the 360. Extra value on the XB1 gives more incentive for 360 owners to make the jump to XB1 (and not to PS4).

You could argue that excluding 360 is leaving money on the table for both EA and MS due to the large install base. But that's short term thinking for Microsoft. They need reasons for gamers to adopt XB1 in order to perform as well as possible against the PS4 over the long term.

Well Sony has their own competing service on the way (PSNow) so I see why they turned down EA, although it's a selfish move.

With consoles potentially heading the subscription route, I hope the PC market doesn't follow suit. I'm not liking this gradual removal of game ownership that these subscriptions are signaling.

Yeah, I'll add my voice to the chorus. Best game ever discussions aren't terribly meaningful (and I know you are just quoting the hype and not asking if it really is). But it definitely belongs in the conversation about the best game in the last generation.

For me... the best games of the generation would be...

Mass Effect 1

Skyrim

Red Dead

Last of Us

Fallout 3

Arkham Asylum

Bioshock

GTA5

Somewhat in that order with games easily able to move a place or two. (ME2 and 3 and Fallout NV are all thereabouts too but I picked one game from each franchise. ME 2 and 3 are slightly behind ME1 for me. Fallout Nevada might actually be a better game, but it was building off the brilliant Fallout 3 and I spent far more time playing the first).

Anyway... Last Of Us is right up there. I may or may not pick up Assassin's Creed - but Last Of Us is clearly superior and you owe it to yourself to play it ASAP.

Fallout 3 instead of New Vegas, and Asylum instead of City is pure blasphemy, PURE BLASPHEMY.

Archived