Bittersweet ending POLL

BIGWeX

Bittersweet ending

I’ve stated numerous times that I anticipate a bittersweet ending.

George R. R. Martin

I made a poll divided in 4 parts where you can pick:

5 POV characters that you want to have a sweet end;

5 POV characters that you want to have a bitter end;

10 other characters that you want to have a sweet end;

10 other characters that you want to have a bitter end.

Here is the POLL, and here are the RESULTS.

I think, and again, just my thoughts...

Dany hate has a few reasons,

1, she is a girl, like it or not some people do not think women should be in power

2, she has not moved on to Westeros. She always talks about it but hasn't done it

3, she is not a military leader like the rest of the main characters who are respected. Robb, Stannis,, Ned, Robert, Rheagar, all led their armies into combat. The ones who didn't, Walder Frey, Tywin, Balon...are all despised also.

I think, and again, just my thoughts...

Dany hate has a few reasons,

1, she is a girl, like it or not some people do not think women should be in power

2, she has not moved on to Westeros. She always talks about it but hasn't done it

3, she is not a military leader like the rest of the main characters who are respected. Robb, Stannis,, Ned, Robert, Rheagar, all led their armies into combat. The ones who didn't, Walder Frey, Tywin, Balon...are all despised also.

I don't hate Dany at all, but I have a few problems with her character:

1. She only really suffers in the first book. Then she's granted deus ex machina dragons and everything falls into place for her. She doesn't have to struggle much until the last book, but by then she's grown so insufferable that the reader is almost welcoming anything that knocks her down a peg.

2. Her storyline in the last book is just boring.

I think people don't necessarily want to see a bitter end for her because they hate her, but because they don't like her meteoric rise to power for really having done nothing but having the bloodline to wake dragons.

These are the results after 550 responses:

Top 5 POV characters you want to have sweet end:

1. Davos Seaworth - 378
  2. Sansa Stark - 346
  3. Jon Snow - 269
  4. Arya Stark - 267
  5. Samwell "the Slayer" Tarly - 246

Top 5 POV characters you want to have bitter end:

1. Cersei Lannister - 455
  2. Daenerys "Stormborn" Targaryen - 330
  3. Melisandre - 263
  4. Victarion Greyjoy - 252
  5. Aeron "the Damphair" Greyjoy - 183

Top 10 other characters you want to have sweet end:

1. Sandor "the Hound" Clegane - 337
  2. Hodor "the Hodor" - 264
  3. Brynden "the Blackfish" Tully - 259
  4. Rickon Stark - 251
  5. Gendry - 242
  6. Podrick Payne - 229
  7. Eddison "Dolorous Edd" Tollett - 219
  8. Meera Reed - 185
  9. Tormund Giantsbane - 172
  10. Wyman Manderly -172

Top 10 other characters you want to have bitter end:

1. Ramsay "the Bastard of the Dreadfort" Bolton - 416
  2. Petyr "Litllefinger" Baelish - 406
  3. Roose "the Leech Lord" Bolton - 361
  4. Walder Frey - 330
  5. Grefor "the Mountain" Clegane - 321
  6. Qyburn - 276
  7. Randyll Tarly - 222
  8. Euron "the Crow's Eye" Greyjoy -216
  9. Robert "Sweetrobin" Arryn -183
  10. Lady Stoneheart - 179

No one wants a sweet end for:

• Skahaz mo Kandaq "the Shavepate" - 0
  • Reznak mo Reznak - 0
  • Xaro Xhoan Daxos - 0

Conclusion: You want a bitter end for Cersei more than you want a sweet end for any other ASOIAF character.

I don't hate Dany at all, but I have a few problems with her character:

1. She only really suffers in the first book. Then she's granted deus ex machina dragons and everything falls into place for her. She doesn't have to struggle much until the last book, but by then she's grown so insufferable that the reader is almost welcoming anything that knocks her down a peg.

2. Her storyline in the last book is just boring.

I think people don't necessarily want to see a bitter end for her because they hate her, but because they don't like her meteoric rise to power for really having done nothing but having the bloodline to wake dragons.

Personally, I'd add whole execution of "justice" thing (crucifixions, and trials after sack of Mereen) , ignorance of the downfall of her family + the desire to remain ignorant, the treachery in good faith negotiations, zero logistical mindset despite being a leader. I'm also not big on the "this is my birthright, so I should have it" line of thinking.

There's still 2 books to redeem herself, but the whole arc since Qarth IMO has destroyed a character I use to enjoy.

The premise of this thread is wrong. A bittersweet ending doesnt mean that characters will have either a happy or a tragic ending. I'm sure quite a few will have a bittersweet ending. Say, they survive and have a good position, but they lose someone they love. Or they have a pretty good life but the traumas don't go away. Or the realm is in relatively good shape but there are still ongoing troubles. Or the ending shows the start of a better, more enlightened era; but only after so many deaths and sacrifices that have made it happen.

Personally, I'd add whole execution of "justice" thing (crucifixions, and trials after sack of Mereen) , ignorance of the downfall of her family + the desire to remain ignorant, the treachery in good faith negotiations, zero logistical mindset despite being a leader. I'm also not big on the "this is my birthright, so I should have it" line of thinking.

There's still 2 books to redeem herself, but the whole arc since Qarth IMO has destroyed a character I use to enjoy.

I just sort of lumped all of that in with 'insufferable' XD

Archived