Bittersweet ending POLL

BIGWeX

Personally, I've always thought the Bittersweet ending related to Jon and Dany, since they appear to be the 2 most "main" characters in the books. Always thought Jon was the husband to love, and the betrayal for love. Always thought that leads to one of their deaths. And since I think we are for the most part supposed to like both characters, one living and ruling while the other perishing was going to be the bitersweet part.

I don't get the Dany hate, she is my second favorite character

Her arc (although not finished) is fascinating.

A 13 year old orphan girl who has been banished from her homeland (that she does not know), abused by her sociopath brother adn treated like a gold coin to be used at the right time.

Sold to a man twice her age and used as an accessory, finally understands that she has at least some control over her destiny and takes charge of her station and gains power and love.

In a cruel twist, loses her husband and son and decides to kill herself at teh same time repaying the women who betrayed her and her husband. She amazingly manages to bring back the long thought dead dragons in her world and sets about the path that was laid before her before she was even born, avenging her family and taking back what is hers.

Along the way she discovers the plight of the slaves and champions their cause. She also realizes that the new power she holds is obtuse and unwieldy and is slowing learning how to harness it.

I love her story.

Harry Potter (books and the character) had a bittersweet ending. Also Frodo. I think mostly main characters, specially those who are "heroes" have an ending like that because their triumph is preceded by a time of changes, and those mean, in mostly of the cases, death. GRRM did not even need to tell us that.

These are the results after 550 responses:

Top 5 POV characters you want to have sweet end:

1. Davos Seaworth - 378

2. Sansa Stark - 346

Jon Snow - 269

Arya Stark - 267

Samwell "the Slayer" Tarly - 246

Are you sure about these numbers? When I go to the poll link, and look at your totals, they do NOT match what you have here. Your table shows Davos with 433, Sansa with 396, Jon with 314, Arya 307, and Tarley with 280. Does this have something to do with the dates of the poll closing or do you just have the numbers wrong? It doesn't change the top positions, but they do not match...

I don't get the Dany hate, she is my second favorite character

Her arc (although not finished) is fascinating.

A 13 year old orphan girl who has been banished from her homeland (that she does not know), abused by her sociopath brother adn treated like a gold coin to be used at the right time.

Sold to a man twice her age and used as an accessory, finally understands that she has at least some control over her destiny and takes charge of her station and gains power and love.

In a cruel twist, loses her husband and son and decides to kill herself at teh same time repaying the women who betrayed her and her husband. She amazingly manages to bring back the long thought dead dragons in her world and sets about the path that was laid before her before she was even born, avenging her family and taking back what is hers.

Along the way she discovers the plight of the slaves and champions their cause. [insert misdirected justice and treachery] She also realizes that the new power she holds is obtuse and unwieldy and is slowing learning how to harness it.

I love her story.

Avenging her family? Robert and the Lannisters are dead (murder of her niece, nephew, and sister-in-law). Everyone else involved was defending themselves from the whims of a mad king. As far as hers, why is it hers? Her family lost all rights to the throne through conquest. She herself has not taken the throne, and has shown no signs of being an effective (or just) leader.

I'm not saying that anyone must agree with me. That's just the rationale behind rational Dany hate. Then there's the GURRRLSSZSSSZZZZZ SHOULDN"T RULE!!!!!!!!! faction which is irrational.

"yeeeh, another place where we can't vent our irrational Dany hate!".

...I don't hate her. I was simply trying to come up with reasons that people seem to want to see her meet a bitter end, since a lot of people have apparently voted for it.

Are you sure about these numbers? When I go to the poll link, and look at your totals, they do NOT match what you have here. Your table shows Davos with 433, Sansa with 396, Jon with 314, Arya 307, and Tarley with 280. Does this have something to do with the dates of the poll closing or do you just have the numbers wrong? It doesn't change the top positions, but they do not match...

More people have voted since that was posted...

Top 10 other characters you want to have sweet end:

1. Sandor "the Hound" Clegane - 337

2. Hodor "the Hodor" - 264

Brynden "the Blackfish" Tully - 259

Rickon Stark - 251

Gendry - 242

Podrick Payne - 229

Eddison "Dolorous Edd" Tollett - 219

Meera Reed - 185

Tormund Giantsbane - 172

Wyman Manderly -172

What's wrong with you people? How come Tommen and Shireen are not on the list?

I know for me there were characters that I wish could have a sweet ending, but I know won't, so I didn't vote for them to get a sweet ending, kind of like it would be a wasted vote or something (prolly weird, I know). Thus, Tommen, e.g., though he's a sweet kid, didn't get my vote because I'm sure he won't get a sweet ending.

Peop

I don't think people voted for Tommen because they all know that there is no way he has a sweet ending. Kings die, get killed or his can get found to be frauds. There is no way to go but down. Shireen fate coiuld be end sweetly but I believe she will be given to the flames.

The premise of this thread is wrong. A bittersweet ending doesnt mean that characters will have either a happy or a tragic ending. I'm sure quite a few will have a bittersweet ending. Say, they survive and have a good position, but they lose someone they love. Or they have a pretty good life but the traumas don't go away. Or the realm is in relatively good shape but there are still ongoing troubles. Or the ending shows the start of a better, more enlightened era; but only after so many deaths and sacrifices that have made it happen.

This^^

Bittersweet doesnt mean some will have sweet endings and some will have bitter endings. That sounds more like cherry picking those who should have good fates and those who shouldn't.

How about this as an example of bittersweet ending for a character: Azor Again reborn, whoever it is, realizes that the only way to save the world from the Long Night and the Others is to murder the person they really love the most, as the original A A did. They do it, save the world and are for the rest of their days celebrated as a hero, but has to live with what he or she has done and is unhappy, and people admire them but are also terrified of them - because, really, wouldn't you be, and would you want to be close to someone who can be that cold?

My money for being Azor Ahai reborn is on Jon, because he is the character I can see putting what he thinks is the right thing to do above love and personal feelings. That way he would be a classical hero and at the same time the subversion of the trope, because it would show how fucked up this type of heroism is.

But I may be surprised, it could be someone else. There aren't many characters I can see putting duty over personal feelings to that extent. I don't know if Dany could... maybe. Stannis could, but it's clear he is not AAR.

Personally, I've always thought the Bittersweet ending related to Jon and Dany, since they appear to be the 2 most "main" characters in the books. Always thought Jon was the husband to love, and the betrayal for love. Always thought that leads to one of their deaths. And since I think we are for the most part supposed to like both characters, one living and ruling while the other perishing was going to be the bitersweet part.

The series is not just about Jon and Dany. Bittersweet ending refers to the overall ending.

But I can see your idea happening. I can't see Jon/Dany happening if it's about them getting married and ruling together happily. Not gonna happen. But I can see a tragic outcome. How about this: Jon and Dany finally meet and fall deeply in love and try to save the world from the Others... one of them is Azor Ahai reborn, we don't know who - except it's the one who is able to decide to murder the other one to save the world. Now, that would be fucked up, just like GRRM likes it.

The premise of this thread is wrong. A bittersweet ending doesnt mean that characters will have either a happy or a tragic ending. I'm sure quite a few will have a bittersweet ending. Say, they survive and have a good position, but they lose someone they love. Or they have a pretty good life but the traumas don't go away. Or the realm is in relatively good shape but there are still ongoing troubles. Or the ending shows the start of a better, more enlightened era; but only after so many deaths and sacrifices that have made it happen.

This is why I don't want any more dead Starks, they already have a bittersweet ending no matter how the story ends up.

That was after 550 responses, now there is more and statistics changes...

Avenging her family? Robert and the Lannisters are dead (murder of her niece, nephew, and sister-in-law). Everyone else involved was defending themselves from the whims of a mad king. As far as hers, why is it hers? Her family lost all rights to the throne through conquest. She herself has not taken the throne, and has shown no signs of being an effective (or just) leader.

I'm not saying that anyone must agree with me. That's just the rationale behind rational Dany hate. Then there's the GURRRLSSZSSSZZZZZ SHOULDN"T RULE!!!!!!!!! faction which is irrational.

To be fair she received word of Robert's and Tywin's deaths a decent amount of time after she had started on this path and she just cant say "sorry guys, I am out"

And as far as rights to the Throne, she has just as much right as the Baratheons. It all about who has the army and she has one.

Archived