What would YOU have done? (Pick a decision you dislike in the story and change it)

Lord Defiance

Stannis: Head straight to KL at the beginning of ACoK instead of Storm's End. As soon as Tywin's forces roll out west to deal with Robb, King's Landing is lightly defended. A lightning naval strike to capture the capital while everyone's attention is focused on the Riverlands and Reach would have likely been successful, the Antler Men would not have been eliminated and one of them could have arranged to open the gates, and the city would have fallen quickly. Then I crown myself and fortify the town, and send out ravens pardoning all who will swear fealty, save Jaime, Cersei, and their children, who I execute as abominations (not Jaime, as he has been captured by Robb).

Renly would likely lack the strength of will to continue a rebellion against his crowned brother, as he was against a Lannister incest-bastard. Robb would be busy fighting Lannister forces, and given the destruction of their regime would be convincable to bend the knee (especially once the Greyjoys attack the North). Tywin would be caught between two forces and beaten.

You forget the reason why he was not able to do that - namely, that just a few lords on Dragonstone were fighting on his side and no one else, and his forces were meagre before most of Renly joined him after Renly death.

the city is still lightly held. He could have taken the capital. The reason that he was unable to was because Tyrion was building the defenses and is too damn smart for Stannis. He wanted proof of the incest. Not thinking that there was a bastard boy in the fucking capital that looked like a young Robert without the Florent ears.

So the point still stands he could have taken the city if he had acted quickly and fucked Storm's End.

If I was Krazny, when Daenerys showed up with 3 chained dragons and less than 50 warriors while I controlled thousands of Unsullied, I'd have simply killed her and taken the dragons.

But apparently his entire existence was dedicated to providing Dany with an army. The constant verbal abuse was just a cover, he was her greatest ally.

If I was Doran I would have paid Tywin with his same coin

As soon as Tyrion proposes the alliance in aCoK, I gather the Dornish troops, march to KL bypassing Renly's army, and approach the city under the pretense of helping the Lannisters. They open the gates, slaughter ensues, I hold the city and I surrender it to the pretender who offers the most.

I sympathize with Theon wanting to reconcile with his Greyjoy family and heritage, even his decision to take Winterfell. But the choice to try and hold Winterfell was foolish...

I would've raided Winterfell (while leaving as many people unharmed that I could), and brought back Bran, Rickon, Meera, Jojen, & the Freys as hostages.

Now that's a really interesting idea.

I would have had Aegon / Young Griff make it all the way to Meereen with Tyrion, expecting to marry Dany, only to find she'd been killed by Drogon while trying to (successfully) save Arianne - who takes the place of Quentyn in my story, in trying to steal the dragon.

Arianne swears that Dorne will rise for Aegon and they set off back to Westeros with Tyrion's knowledge of dragonlore having prepared them to be 'the three heads of the Dragon'.

I'm just joking, sort of...

Anything to cut the Slavery's Bay nonsense short.

If I was Krazny, when Daenerys showed up with 3 chained dragons and less than 50 warriors while I controlled thousands of Unsullied, I'd have simply killed her and taken the dragons.

But apparently his entire existence was dedicated to providing Dany with an army. The constant verbal abuse was just a cover, he was her greatest ally.

Tsk, tsk. Then nobody would want to trade with you and buy your Unsullied. Bad business.

There's no doubt, however, that Kraznys wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, that's a part of his characterization. Of course you don't sell all your slave soldiers to one person.

If I were Kraznys, I would... well, I wouldn't have done anything he did. I wouldn't have had slaves, I wouldn't have castrated them, made them kill babies, or made them kill puppies, etc... but that's because I'm completely unlike Kraznys. It's hard to speculate what you would do if you were in the shoes of someone you're completely different from.

the city is still lightly held. He could have taken the capital. The reason that he was unable to was because Tyrion was building the defenses and is too damn smart for Stannis. He wanted proof of the incest. Not thinking that there was a bastard boy in the fucking capital that looked like a young Robert without the Florent ears.

So the point still stands he could have taken the city if he had acted quickly and fucked Storm's End.

There wasn't, actually. The bastard boy who looked like Robert had left KL just after Ned's death and was in the Riverlands with Yoren and the NW recruits. All the other bastards in KL had been murdered.

Did Stannis know this? Last Stannis knew the boy was an apprentice working in a smith in the city. So like I said. He could have taken a force and attacked KL. Or use those ships that he hired from the Lysnesi pirate and created a blockade around the blackwater mouth. That's going to make the capital starve all the more quickly. Or he could have landed a force around the Capital and attacked Stokeworth and Rosby. Then march to Storm's End. This way he's got forces with eyes on the captial by water and land.

I bet he wouldn't have been taken in the rear if he'd had arms at Stokeworth or Rosby. Having eyes on the chain that Tyrion was building would have told him of what the damnable imp was planning.

You forget the reason why he was not able to do that - namely, that just a few lords on Dragonstone were fighting on his side and no one else, and his forces were meagre before most of Renly joined him after Renly death.

He thought like you, which was his mistake. It isn't how much force you use, it's how it is deployed--he had enough to take KL against the Gold Cloaks and other forces that were there, especially if he had allies within the walls (which he did). Had he acted quickly, Tyrion wouldn't have had time to set up the defenses and root out the Antler Men.

And once he had the city and crowned himself, it wouldn't matter that he had no army. Tywin couldn't turn around and attack KL without abandoning the Westerlands to Robb and/or allowing Robb to attack his rear, plus Renly would have an army approaching the area as well.

All that would matter is whether Renly had the stomach to storm KL and throw him out--at which point he could, if he wanted, use Mel's shadow baby on him.

He wouldn't know about the Ironborn attack on the North, but it would be perfectly reasonable to demand that Robb bend the knee, then wait until Renly was sorted out to do anything about the North.

Also, he didn't need proof of the incest to attack KL. He believed it, and had he won the war everyone would have said they believed it, whether or not they actually did.

Tsk, tsk. Then nobody would want to trade with you and buy your Unsullied. Bad business.

Oh, if you have three dragons AND still all your Unsullied, I think you'll be all right. Personnally, I'd just have resold the dragon for a crazy profits (having gotten them for free!)

People have a short memory, if Krazny had just taken the dragons, he'd only have lost business from the next pauper with a priceless artefact to come along. And how often does that happen? Normally, people have protection in accordance with their wealth. Dany was a once in a lifetime anomaly.

Thank you Thank you.

Wars aren't always won by numbers alone. If that was the case then the wildlings would have smashed Stannis and his forces. IT's all in how the men that you have are used.

Robb had less men that Jamie and Tywin yet, he kept kicking their asses, because of the way in which he deployed his forces. The fact that he used his cavalry to move quickly and effectively is what gave him the advantage and he had the element of surprise, thanks to Greywind and magical goat trails.

Thank you Thank you.

Wars aren't always won by numbers alone. If that was the case then the wildlings would have smashed Stannis and his forces. IT's all in how the men that you have are used.

Robb had less men that Jamie and Tywin yet, he kept kicking their asses, because of the way in which he deployed his forces. The fact that he used his cavalry to move quickly and effectively is what gave him the advantage and he had the element of surprise, thanks to Greywind and magical goat trails.

Fuck all to do with Stannis.

Stannis had 4000 men at the start of COK, and the royal fleet. If he transferred these men and attacked kings landing he'd lose about 90% of his men at best, you have to rememeber the red keep can become like a mini castle and probably defy Stannis for a couple of days. Tommen and Myrcella would be smuggled out to Rosby meaning that Stannis is trapped in a city with what 500 men. It was even said that the majority of his forces were sellswords who no doubt would be happy to sell him out for some lannister gold.

I can't see Stannis with 5000 men capturing kings landing considering he lacks good commanders, knights, siege weapons and allies.

If I were (sorry, pet peeve of mine) Jon, I would have said "Does Ramsay really think I'm that stupid?" and burned the pink letter without a second thought.

If i was Ned I would never tell Cersei I knew/figured out that Robert's children were actually Jamie's.

If i was a stark I would never leave the North.

If was a Stark I would trust my direwolf implicitly

If I was Robb I would have married the Frey girl to honor my marriage pact and have the Frey support to win the war, then pull a Rhaegar and run off with the Westerling girl

If I was Oberyn, I would STFU and stab, stab, stab

If I was Dany I would get the hell to Westeros already

if I was CerseiIwould have smothered Tyrion while he slept as a baby

the list goes on and on and on....

Stannis had 4000 men at the start of COK, and the royal fleet. If he transferred these men and attacked kings landing he'd lose about 90% of his men at best, you have to rememeber the red keep can become like a mini castle and probably defy Stannis for a couple of days. Tommen and Myrcella would be smuggled out to Rosby meaning that Stannis is trapped in a city with what 500 men. It was even said that the majority of his forces were sellswords who no doubt would be happy to sell him out for some lannister gold.

I can't see Stannis with 5000 men capturing kings landing considering he lacks good commanders, knights, siege weapons and allies.

Okay let's say that the Red Keep can keep Stannis out(whom I can't stand, yet his is probably the most stupid decision of the books) he still holds the rest of the city. He's got his forces inside of the capital. He's got his ships blocking the port and the mouth of the river.

The inhibitors of the city have no love for the Lannisters or King Joffery. They have spent some time living in terror of a sack(so long as he treats them kindly he should have no trouble and Stannis keeps his men in well working order. He only had to geld 3 men on the wall. So I don't see the city getting some sacking like under Tywin)

The inhibitors of the city still remember the last time that Tywin let loose his wroth on the city and aren't going to want him back inside of the city. Renly is marching on the rose road. Hears word of the capital falling he either comes and bends the knee or he attacks. He can no longer afford the leisurely stroll its either get your ass to the city or give up the crown.

Robb in the west hears of the city falling and helps catch Tywin under the walls of the city. Hammer and Anvil affect. That's the end of the lannisters and he might have just gotten the help of Robb Stark. Whom more than likely would take the crown off as he's gotten his vengeance.

That leaves Cersei and her brood stranded in the Red Keep. The longer they hold out the more those that are stuck in there with them are going to be likely to turn them over to the Stannis. Epecially if they end up starving. So mini castle or not they are well and royally fucked.

He had allies within the walls of the city, at least enough to open a gate for him, plus the royal fleet is not nothing. Of course he is not going to just have at the walls with battering rams a la the Blackwater, he would use something more based on speed. It would be risky and based on precise timing, but the element of surprise would be 100%. Perhaps he could send Ser Davos ahead with a force of picked men hidden in a merchant vessel.

The Red Keep would hold out for a time, but not as long as it would take for help to come from outside.

5,000 men could absolutely take unprepared start-of-ACoK KL by surprise, with the help of a fleet.

EDIT: I'm not a Stannis partisan either, but the defenses of KL sucked before Tyrion got to them, and he barely was ready in time for the Blackwater.

Archived