[Book Spoilers] Possible Blackfish - Stoneheart merge?

Pilusmagnus

Don't panic!

I'm not saying there was a problem with the actor, only that it can be one of the reasons why things get cut. If an actor has earned a reputation for being difficult to work with, it can lead to show runners working with them less (or getting them off the show entirely).

Don't panic!

I'm not saying there was a problem with the actor, only that it can be one of the reasons why things get cut. If an actor has earned a reputation for being difficult to work with, it can lead to show runners working with them less (or getting them off the show entirely).

But Michelle is not difficult to work with.

They didn't have any problems with Michelle. Quite the opposite. People always have great things to say about her on the commentaries, D and D in particular. That's one of the reasons why I still don't think she's been cut. They found a way to bring Momoa after all and in this case, they don't really have to find a way, do they?

For the last time.

All I did was give a list of reasons that will typically lead to an actor being cut from a show. Top of the list being that the person in question is hard to work with. I didn't say there was a problem with this particular actress - I, too, have listened to the commentaries & know that lots of nice things get said about her.

I don't see how they'd pass up the shock factor of Catelyn's resurrection. They've stated repeatedly that their biggest inspiration for making the show was being able to put the Red Wedding on film (which is slightly discouraging, btw, but that's beside the point). That's what they like. And to me, the SoS epilogue was the most shocking moment of the entire book series (so far) after the RW and Ned's execution. I also think, cynically, that even if the character isn't important to the greater story, it would not stop them from including her, if only for the buzz it would generate. Unless they have some greater plans for her reveal, I think it was a huge misstep on their part to not include her at the end of last season.

I think a lot of book readers overestimate how well Stoneheart would be received. Then there is the issue of repeated resurrections in a series known for killing off main characters. Beric is the only character of significance that we have seen do this on the show, and Mel even looked surprised when she found out about this, which lets us know that this is serious stuff. You need to avoid over using it. Especially for someone who went out in one of the most memorable ways in one of the most memorable scenes.

And D&D saying that the RW was their biggest reason for wanting to do the show shouldn't be discouraging or surprising. For many book readers it still remains one of the most powerful moments in the books. That doesn't mean that they don't care about the rest of the books.

I think a lot of book readers overestimate how well Stoneheart would be received. Then there is the issue of repeated resurrections in a series known for killing off main characters. Beric is the only character of significance that we have seen do this on the show, and Mel even looked surprised when she found out about this, which lets us know that this is serious stuff. You need to avoid over using it. Especially for someone who went out in one of the most memorable ways in one of the most memorable scenes.

Why do you think a little bit of Red Wedding retribution wouldn't be well received? The show has already established that resurrections are possible, that magic is a real, albeit rare, thing. And it's not like any other of the dozens "major" deceased characters have been resurrected - Catelyn is actually the first and (so far) only one. Yeah sure, it's "serious" magic, but it's absolutely plausible, that the BWB found Cat's body at the river and that Beric Dondarrion decided to use the same magic, that has brought him back to life so many times, to resurrect her.

Lady Stoneheart might actually add a lot of a drama to a season, that would probably benefit from a little bit of drama. I mean, I enjoy all the books, but Book 4 in particular had only a handful of storylines that I found really interesting - a lot of chapters were kinda ... meh, especially in comparison with the masterpiece that is A Storm of Swords.

• 3 weeks later...

Beric is the only character of significance that we have seen do this on the show, and Mel even looked surprised when she found out about this, which lets us know that this is serious stuff.

I interpreted that scene as her being surprised by how many times he was brought back. After all, she specifically asks how many times the Lord of Light has brought him back.

And D&D saying that the RW was their biggest reason for wanting to do the show shouldn't be discouraging or surprising. For many book readers it still remains one of the most powerful moments in the books. That doesn't mean that they don't care about the rest of the books.

But they are not overusing it, we've only seen it once and it could certainly be a "foreshadowing" for Stoneheart, so her ressurection won't feel like out of the blue.

But they are not overusing it, we've only seen it once and it could certainly be a "foreshadowing" for Stoneheart, so her ressurection won't feel like out of the blue.

They already showed the beginning of UnGregor, and they will do UnJon at some point. There is the distinct possibility of UnHound too. Three is stretch credibility, and four might be the tipping point.

They already showed the beginning of UnGregor, and they will do UnJon at some point. There is the distinct possibility of UnHound too. Three is stretch credibility, and four might be the tipping point.

Ok, but we never saw the Hound dying, so if they bring him back for some reason (which I doubt, by the way), they'll just have to explain how he survived his encounter with Brienne, nothing supernatural about it.

Also "UnGregor" is so much dumber than Stoneheart. Catelyn was resurrected by magic, that is already established in the show. The Mountain on the other hand was brought back to life by "Science!", which makes him a Frankenstein's Monster type of characters (without a head, seriously?) - it kinda shatters my suspension of disbelief. If they want to make the show more realistic and get rid of certain supernatural elements, I'd say get rid of Robert Strong, not Stoneheart.

As for Jon, we don't know if he's dead or not. Maybe he could be healed by some sort of magic, before he died of his wounds, we just don't know yet. But the fact that Jon lived through the attack (which is pretty much confirmed by GRRM at this point, right?) doesn't have to mean that he was "resurrected" the same way Catelyn was, there are so many other possibilities how he could have survived.

So no ... I don't think they're overusing the resurrection thing, not at all, actually. So many characters die constantly in the books and in the show - and the fact that two of them (Beric and Catelyn) have been brought back through magic makes complete sense.

Archived