Season 5 casting - v. 4 [Spoilers]

Arkash

Alright, with the SDCC panel just two hours away (as I'm writing these lines), it's time to open a new thread.

As I lay these words down, the hope is strong for a casting reel to be unveiled tonight, first for the lucky eyes attending the event and then for us, hordes of hungry fans who have already cover in pixel-ink hundreds of pages debating what to expect for season 5.

So far, we do not have any official casting confirmation.

Yet, we know that Keisha Castle-Hughes should be playing a Sand Snake.

That, and I write these words with a sad face, Aimee Richardson's Myrcella will no longer be among us and that her role shall be given to Neil Tiger Free.

We also have this leaked casting call for season 5 (curtesy of WiC.net) listing many of the new characters that shall make their debut (and sometimes also their end) this season : http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/23/characters-confirmed-game-thrones-season-5-new-details/

Let's discuss and await for potential revelations at SDCC ! =D

Summary of Information for Season 5 (spoiler tags used for length):

A Season 5 casting leak shows that the following characters will appear next year:

Prince Doran Martell – Doran is described as the major new player this year, appearing in multiple episodes. The fifty-something prince uses a wheelchair, is reclusive and rules wisely. It appears the show is looking to continue the trend it started with Pedro Pascal, and cast Latino actors for the Martell clan.

Prince Trystane Martell – Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.

Areo Hotah - Doran’s personal bodyguard will appear throughout the season, assisting the prince with his duties. The show is particularly looking for a black actor to fill the role.

The Sand Snakes, Oberyn Martell’s bastard daughters (with ages ranging 18-25):

Obara Sand – The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character- not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.

Nymeria Sand – Nymeria is described as “mixed race,” with her father being the fairer Oberyn and her mother being darker skinned. The second oldest of these Sand Snakes, she’s beautiful, emotional and very strong.

Tyene Sand - The youngest of the Sand Snakes that we meet uses her wits and seductive powers, and is less of a physical fighter than the other Sand Snakes. She is just as deadly as her sisters, however, but her weapon is poison.

High Sparrow - The books’ pious head of a religious movement will be appearing in several episodes in season 5.

Septa Unella – The show is looking for a character actress to play the imposing and unrelenting septa who spends a lot of time with a major series character next year.

Maggy the Frog- A fortune teller in A Feast for Crows, she’ll be in one episode next year.

Lollys Stokeworth – Just last week in “Mockingbird,” Bronn announced his intention to marry Lollys, whom Tyrion considers “dimwitted.” It looks like the sellsword will still be around next year.

Yezzan - A sleazy Meereenese slave owner.

The Waif – The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we understand the show is specifically looking for a woman of East Asian descent for the part.

A second casting leak added 3 characters to that list:

Varamyr: Dubbed Varamyr Sixskins in the book series, the wildling skinchanger initially appears in A Storm of Swords when he takes possession of the late Orell’s eagle, and takes on his scout role as well with Mance Rayder’s army. The book describes Varamyr as a small man, bald and grey-faced with round shoulders. The show is supposedly looking to cast an actor in the 35-45 year old age range. It’s unclear what position Varamyr will take on in the fifth season as his introduction point in the books has already passed in the show.

Imogen: A 12 year old blonde girl. It’s speculated that this may actually be the casting call for young Cersei. Given that there is no Imogen in the books, and we’ve heard that Game of Thrones is auditioning girls for the role of young Cersei, this seems likely.

Brunette girl: 12 years old. There’s no additional information about this part. For book-related possibilities, our best guess with regards to the role is probably Melara, a girl involved in young Cersei’s story with the fortuneteller Maggy the Frog.

The Whale Rider actress Keisha Castle-Hughes is rumored to have been cast as “one of the Sand Snakes,” with a lot of publications saying she’ll be Nymeria (though the casting call asked for someone mixed-race for that role). It remains unconfirmed.

A Tyene audition tape was removed, but revealed Bronn to be in Dorne. The transcript is as follows:

Transcript of Video

Tyene: He has a good voice.

Obara: He's a singer, if he was a fighter we might've been in trouble.

Bronn: It's against my code to hurt women.

Obara: It's amazing how many men we beat seem to have this code.

Bronn: I wouldn't say you beat me.

Tyene: And how is your arm?

Bronn: Wonderful. Wouldn't feel right to leave Dorne without a new scar.

Obara: You think you're leaving Dorne?

Bronn: No great hurry. Dornish women are the most beautiful in the world.

Tyene: Thank you.

Bronn: I said Dornish women, I didn't say you.

Tyene: I'm not the most beautiful woman you have ever seen?

Bronn: I've seen quite a few women in all the Seven Kingdoms.

Tyene: Tell me one woman more beautiful than I am.

Bronn: Well, now in King's Landing there was an absolute...

Tyene: There was a what? In King's Landing you were saying...

Bronn: Was I?

Tyene: ...there is a woman more beautiful than I am.

Bronn: Was there? My memory's not what it was earlier.

Tyene: And how is your arm now.

Bronn: You seem concerned with it. You must really like me.

Tyene: And how is your head?

Bronn: My head? You don't even want to know what's going on in there.

Tyene: What was that, are you sure you're feeling alright?

Bronn: Sure, a bit woozy but that's to be expected after a good dust-up.

Tyene: Your nose is bleeding.

Bronn: It's not it's the dry air.

Tyene: My dagger was coated with a special ointment from Asshai. It's called the Long Farewell. It can take some time to work some times several days. But if one single drop makes contact with the skin...death.

Tyene: The only antidote. Who is the most beautiful woman in the world? Who? Who, sorry?

Bronn: You.

She takes whatever the antidote it is from or off of her necklace and gives it to him.

Tyene: Don't drop it. I think you're very handsome as well.

She blows him a kiss and laughs.

Note: At some point I think she strips for him, but it’s not included in this transcript.

An Obara audition tape was also leaked, revealing that Jaime will be in Dorne in Season 5. I cannot find the audition tape (Tania Raymonde’s audition tape has been removed from vimeo), but here is the transcript:

OBARA – Admit defeat Tyene. Nym’s mother taught her the whip before the knife and fork.

Woman Off Camera – Mother, Nym, Obara.

OBARA- Will it be war?

Woman Off Camera – Prince Doran will weep for your father but nothing else. We must avenge Oberyn ourselves.

OBARA – Without Doran we have no army to march against the Lannisters.

Woman Off Camera – We don’t need an army to start a war. EITHER “Queen Cersei loathes everyone and we are one of them.” OR “Queen Cersei loves her children and we have one of them” (my edits for the latter; I think it makes more sense).

OBARA – Now you may have a problem.

Woman Off Camera – What’s that?

OBARA – A ship’s captain came to me in Plankytown claiming to have information to sell. I paid. He told me he smuggled Jaime Lannister into Dorne. Now he paid.

Woman Off Camera – The Kingslayer did not go to Prince Doran?

OBARA – No, they rode him ashore in secret.

Woman Off Camera – Why? He did not know. You must chose Doran’s way and peace or my way and war.

OBARA – When I was a child. Oberyn came to take me to court. I had never seen this man before yet he called himself my father. My mother wept and said you are too young and a girl. Oberyn tossed his spear at my feet and said girl or boy we fight our battles but the gods let us chose our weapons. My father pointed to the spear and to my mother’s tears. I made my choice long ago.

There has been a leaked Tryst audition tape, now removed. The transcript is loosely as follows:

Trystane: I’m going to ask him. Tomorrow.

Myrcella: What if he says no?

Trystane: He won’t. We waited long enough. I want you to be my wife. What is it?

Myrcella: My mother never loved my father. She was forced to marry him, but she did her duty. Do you want to marry me because it’s expected of you? Or do you… We can’t! People will see!

Trystane: Meet me later.

Myrcella: Trystane…

Trystane: Please. I know a very secluded spot that is particularly beautiful in the late afternoon sun. You really should see it.

Note: I think there may have been more to the original video, but I can’t really recall. Pretty sure it was something about Tryst saying they’re in love, so it was certainly along this same vein.

It is rumored that Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen H'ghar) is returning to the "main cast" in Season 5. Many are speculating that he will be taking on the role of the Kindly Man, rather than his Citadel arc (which would explain why his original face would be back).

It is also rumored that Myrcella has been recast, with Nell Tiger Free taking over for Aimee Richardson. I think Free deleted a tweet that said something to the effect of “so excited,” but even without that link (deleted tweets are a poor source), Aimee Richardson noted that the recast was a possibility earlier this year, and vaguely tweeted about the recast article.

There is a completely unsourced rumor that Angela Sarafyan is going to join the cast as “someone around Stannis,” but it was said in a random comment on a WiC article, so take it with a major salt lick.

Non-Casting News:

They will be filming in Spain, specifically in the Province of Sevilla. This is likely for Sunspear and the Water Gardens, as the Alcázar of Seville is confirmed as a filming location. Over 9,000 10,000 Spaniards applied to be extras.

GoT will also add Šibenik, Croatia to their list of filming locations, which many are speculating to be Braavos. This is in addition to their continued filming in Split and Dubrovnik within the country. The article notes that they’re also scouting Imotski, Croatia, but filming there isn’t confirmed.

Michelle Fairley said in an interview that Lady Stoneheart is not likely to ever happen in that “yeah, the character’s dead. She’s dead.” Take that to mean what you will. She’s also signed on as a series regular for the show “Resurrection.”

Filming is underway based on tweets from extras/locals. The Scrabo Tower is one location (tweet), and an extra is going to film near “a castle” (tweet). It was noted by a commenter on WiC that the signs were really for Quintin Castle, which is nearby.

Thanks for providing the links, Chebyshov, yeah, definitly useful to have them on the first page ! ;)

NP :) . I've been updating a word doc as news has come in, so it was ready to go. Hopefully we'll have so much info after the panel that I'll have to start over, lol

NP :) . I've been updating a word doc as news has come in, so it was ready to go. Hopefully we'll have so much info after the panel that I'll have to start over, lol

Someone at WIC said they weren't filming at Scrabo Tower but at a nearby castle (Quintin Castle) at the beach. He seemed legit.

Someone at WIC said they weren't filming at Scrabo Tower but at a nearby castle (Quintin Castle) at the beach. He seemed legit.

Yeah, I'm not sure those two facts are mutually exclusive, so I was going to hold off updating it until some news came in, but I could make that note for sure.

Summary of Information for Season 5 (spoiler tags used for length):

A Season 5 casting leak shows that the following characters will appear next year:

Prince Doran Martell – Doran is described as the major new player this year, appearing in multiple episodes. The fifty-something prince uses a wheelchair, is reclusive and rules wisely. It appears the show is looking to continue the trend it started with Pedro Pascal, and cast Latino actors for the Martell clan.

Prince Trystane Martell – Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.

Areo Hotah - Doran’s personal bodyguard will appear throughout the season, assisting the prince with his duties. The show is particularly looking for a black actor to fill the role.

The Sand Snakes, Oberyn Martell’s bastard daughters (with ages ranging 18-25):

Obara Sand – The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character- not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.

Nymeria Sand – Nymeria is described as “mixed race,” with her father being the fairer Oberyn and her mother being darker skinned. The second oldest of these Sand Snakes, she’s beautiful, emotional and very strong.

Tyene Sand - The youngest of the Sand Snakes that we meet uses her wits and seductive powers, and is less of a physical fighter than the other Sand Snakes. She is just as deadly as her sisters, however, but her weapon is poison.

High Sparrow - The books’ pious head of a religious movement will be appearing in several episodes in season 5.

Septa Unella – The show is looking for a character actress to play the imposing and unrelenting septa who spends a lot of time with a major series character next year.

Maggy the Frog- A fortune teller in A Feast for Crows, she’ll be in one episode next year.

Lollys Stokeworth – Just last week in “Mockingbird,” Bronn announced his intention to marry Lollys, whom Tyrion considers “dimwitted.” It looks like the sellsword will still be around next year.

Yezzan - A sleazy Meereenese slave owner.

The Waif – The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we understand the show is specifically looking for a woman of East Asian descent for the part.

A second casting leak added 3 characters to that list:

Varamyr: Dubbed Varamyr Sixskins in the book series, the wildling skinchanger initially appears in A Storm of Swords when he takes possession of the late Orell’s eagle, and takes on his scout role as well with Mance Rayder’s army. The book describes Varamyr as a small man, bald and grey-faced with round shoulders. The show is supposedly looking to cast an actor in the 35-45 year old age range. It’s unclear what position Varamyr will take on in the fifth season as his introduction point in the books has already passed in the show.

Imogen: A 12 year old blonde girl. It’s speculated that this may actually be the casting call for young Cersei. Given that there is no Imogen in the books, and we’ve heard that Game of Thrones is auditioning girls for the role of young Cersei, this seems likely.

Brunette girl: 12 years old. There’s no additional information about this part. For book-related possibilities, our best guess with regards to the role is probably Melara, a girl involved in young Cersei’s story with the fortuneteller Maggy the Frog.

The Whale Rider actress Keisha Castle-Hughes is rumored to have been cast as “one of the Sand Snakes,” with a lot of publications saying she’ll be Nymeria (though the casting call asked for someone mixed-race for that role). It remains unconfirmed.

A Tyene audition tape was removed, but revealed Bronn to be in Dorne. The transcript is as follows:

Transcript of Video

Tyene: He has a good voice.

Obara: He's a singer, if he was a fighter we might've been in trouble.

Bronn: It's against my code to hurt women.

Obara: It's amazing how many men we beat seem to have this code.

Bronn: I wouldn't say you beat me.

Tyene: And how is your arm?

Bronn: Wonderful. Wouldn't feel right to leave Dorne without a new scar.

Obara: You think you're leaving Dorne?

Bronn: No great hurry. Dornish women are the most beautiful in the world.

Tyene: Thank you.

Bronn: I said Dornish women, I didn't say you.

Tyene: I'm not the most beautiful woman you have ever seen?

Bronn: I've seen quite a few women in all the Seven Kingdoms.

Tyene: Tell me one woman more beautiful than I am.

Bronn: Well, now in King's Landing there was an absolute...

Tyene: There was a what? In King's Landing you were saying...

Bronn: Was I?

Tyene: ...there is a woman more beautiful than I am.

Bronn: Was there? My memory's not what it was earlier.

Tyene: And how is your arm now.

Bronn: You seem concerned with it. You must really like me.

Tyene: And how is your head?

Bronn: My head? You don't even want to know what's going on in there.

Tyene: What was that, are you sure you're feeling alright?

Bronn: Sure, a bit woozy but that's to be expected after a good dust-up.

Tyene: Your nose is bleeding.

Bronn: It's not it's the dry air.

Tyene: My dagger was coated with a special ointment from Asshai. It's called the Long Farewell. It can take some time to work some times several days. But if one single drop makes contact with the skin...death.

Tyene: The only antidote. Who is the most beautiful woman in the world? Who? Who, sorry?

Bronn: You.

She takes whatever the antidote it is from or off of her necklace and gives it to him.

Tyene: Don't drop it. I think you're very handsome as well.

She blows him a kiss and laughs.

Note: At some point I think she strips for him, but it’s not included in this transcript.

An Obara audition tape was also leaked, revealing that Jaime will be in Dorne in Season 5. I cannot find the audition tape (Tania Raymonde’s audition tape has been removed from vimeo), but here is the transcript:

OBARA – Admit defeat Tyene. Nym’s mother taught her the whip before the knife and fork.

Woman Off Camera – Mother, Nym, Obara.

OBARA- Will it be war?

Woman Off Camera – Prince Doran will weep for your father but nothing else. We must avenge Oberyn ourselves.

OBARA – Without Doran we have no army to march against the Lannisters.

Woman Off Camera – We don’t need an army to start a war. EITHER “Queen Cersei loathes everyone and we are one of them.” OR “Queen Cersei loves her children and we have one of them” (my edits for the latter; I think it makes more sense).

OBARA – Now you may have a problem.

Woman Off Camera – What’s that?

OBARA – A ship’s captain came to me in Plankytown claiming to have information to sell. I paid. He told me he smuggled Jaime Lannister into Dorne. Now he paid.

Woman Off Camera – The Kingslayer did not go to Prince Doran?

OBARA – No, they rode him ashore in secret.

Woman Off Camera – Why? He did not know. You must chose Doran’s way and peace or my way and war.

OBARA – When I was a child. Oberyn came to take me to court. I had never seen this man before yet he called himself my father. My mother wept and said you are too young and a girl. Oberyn tossed his spear at my feet and said girl or boy we fight our battles but the gods let us chose our weapons. My father pointed to the spear and to my mother’s tears. I made my choice long ago.

There has been a leaked Tryst audition tape, now removed. The transcript is loosely as follows:

Trystane: I’m going to ask him. Tomorrow.

Myrcella: What if he says no?

Trystane: He won’t. We waited long enough. I want you to be my wife. What is it?

Myrcella: My mother never loved my father. She was forced to marry him, but she did her duty. Do you want to marry me because it’s expected of you? Or do you… We can’t! People will see!

Trystane: Meet me later.

Myrcella: Trystane…

Trystane: Please. I know a very secluded spot that is particularly beautiful in the late afternoon sun. You really should see it.

Note: I think there may have been more to the original video, but I can’t really recall. Pretty sure it was something about Tryst saying they’re in love, so it was certainly along this same vein.

It is rumored that Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen H'ghar) is returning to the "main cast" in Season 5. Many are speculating that he will be taking on the role of the Kindly Man, rather than his Citadel arc (which would explain why his original face would be back).

It is also rumored that Myrcella has been recast, with Nell Tiger Free taking over for Aimee Richardson. I think Free deleted a tweet that said something to the effect of “so excited,” but even without that link (deleted tweets are a poor source), Aimee Richardson noted that the recast was a possibility earlier this year, and vaguely tweeted about the recast article.

There is a completely unsourced rumor that Angela Sarafyan is going to join the cast as “someone around Stannis,” but it was said in a random comment on a WiC article, so take it with a major salt lick.

Non-Casting News:

They will be filming in Spain, specifically in the Province of Sevilla. This is likely for Sunspear and the Water Gardens, as the Alcázar of Seville is confirmed as a filming location. Over 9,000 10,000 Spaniards applied to be extras.

GoT will also add Šibenik, Croatia to their list of filming locations, which many are speculating to be Braavos. This is in addition to their continued filming in Split and Dubrovnik within the country. The article notes that they’re also scouting Imotski, Croatia, but filming there isn’t confirmed.

Michelle Fairley said in an interview that Lady Stoneheart is not likely to ever happen in that “yeah, the character’s dead. She’s dead.” Take that to mean what you will. She’s also signed on as a series regular for the show “Resurrection.”

Filming is underway based on tweets from extras/locals. The Scrabo Tower is one location (tweet), and an extra is going to film near “a castle” (tweet). It was noted by a commenter on WiC that the signs were really for Quintin Castle, which is nearby.

Thank you. A great summary of news thus far!

I wonder if any board members are at the panel who will live post if we get casting info. Or who is a good twitter follow that might do the same? someone from wcnet?

by the way, Maisie Williams is in talks to play Ellie in "the last of us" movie! I know that's not relevant, but it's amazing! I'm just trying to inform the world of this incredible development.

I wonder if any board members are at the panel who will live post if we get casting info. Or who is a good twitter follow that might do the same? someone from wcnet?

by the way, Maisie Williams is in talks to play Ellie in "the last of us" movie! I know that's not relevant, but it's amazing! I'm just trying to inform the world of this incredible development.

The official GOT twitter is doing live updates.

https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones

^ Was about to post the same, or the WiC twitter account.

If the forums crash, well... it will only delay the tsunami of posts but if there is any casting news, the tsunami will flow, no doubt about it ! ^^

The official twitter will have updates, I'm sure WiC will as well.

Edit: :ninja:

Archived