GRRM Not Writing for Season 5

Westeros

My standards are a bit higher than stuff like threatening to cut LS 'because we don't have time' while they spend so much time on filler, burping whores, Shae/Tysha switch, Jaime characterization being all over the place, brothel being the centerpiece of King's Landing and dozens of others. The show may be entertaining but 'faithful', not after s4 is not.

And the things the show did better then the books? So many things....

Who cares about Tysha. The change had no impact on Tyrion's story line from my perspective.

And the things the show did better then the books? So many things....

Who cares about Tysha. The change had no impact on Tyrion's story line from my perspective.

O_O

Plenty of shows have don the last season split thing to get around the contract renew thing, and I am almost positive they will do it for the last season for this show.

Same here. It's just too lucrative to keep the show going.

Any issues between D&D and GRRM are purely the fault of Martin. There would be no tension if he knew the books would finish first.

There was never going to be a "perfect" adaption of the books. The books are too complicated for a television show. Actually, I would say his books are too complicated for books as well.

D&D have done an amazing job with the source material.

Qarth and Talisa prove otherwise...

Why can't they shoot it all at once? Why a year later? It's been done before.

Plenty of shows have don the last season split thing to get around the contract renew thing, and I am almost positive they will do it for the last season for this show.

I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be possible to shoot an entire set of 10 episodes at the same time they do season 7. Both D&D and Grrm have already explained that they couldn't even squeeze in an additional 2 episodes per season because of how extensive their shooting schedule is. It's just not possible, no matter how much people would love to have it. They either decide to bite the bullet and shoot an additional season which entails heavy costs, or they say we will stop at 7.

Tysha definitely impacts Tyrion story. In the books she is the woman that broke his heart and then later he realizes he did her wrong which haunts him. However, Shae will get the part of the woman that broke his heart on the show and his murder of her will haunt him.

I think a lot of that excitement will die down in the next few seasons because the story really starts to meander. Perhaps D&D will be able to keep it tight enough to keep up the enthusiasm. But ultimately, yes, I think HBO want to avoid the problem of having the story get too big and feel like it's not going anywhere. They will most likely stick to their guns. And of course, there is the issue of actors' contracts to consider. Those all end after 7 seasons and would probably cost a fortune to renew. It really looks like 7 is all there is.

Maybe that's why they're starting to go their own path because the story starts to meander at this point?

I think they've done a great job so far and a better job than most people working in Hollywood and tv would. You take Stephen King's the Shining: Kubrick made an amazing film that many people like to Watch but it was very different from the book. Ultimately, the people adapting the books might have found something in the books that is important to them but not to you and so as film and tv are visual mediums changes to structure and plot and characters have to be made because ultimately the person driving the adaptation is the person adapting it and their iterpretation of the work might differ from yours: shit will change.

Well their interpretation of the story so far has been: Hey, why use our resources to forward the plot and adapt some of the incredibly high level material we have, if we can just slap some sex on the screen and be done with it. Oh, and let's have some ludicrous scene that doesn't make sense and it's not in the books. That will do it.

The show IS entertaining, I'll give you this, and it has some very high quality scenes, some of which are not taken literally from the books, but overall it's not a good adaptation of the books, and not a very good show.

Maybe that's why they're starting to go their own path because the story starts to meander at this point?

I don't think that D&D are going on their own path. Some characters, like the Iron Born, disappear for long stretches. The show doesn't want that and has been "creative" in finding things for them to do. And while some characters have been outright changed, like Talisa, overall the biggest complaint is when a character isn't cast and it's really clear that they do that to keep things somewhat streamlined. Hardly going off on their own path.

So the actors are under contract for 7 Seasons even though the show is renewed through 6 Seasons?

The actors are under contract for 7 seasons and HBO have said they will shoot 7 seasons of GoT.

Well their interpretation of the story so far has been: Hey, why use our resources to forward the plot and adapt some of the incredibly high level material we have, if we can just slap some sex on the screen and be done with it. Oh, and let's have some ludicrous scene that doesn't make sense and it's not in the books. That will do it.

The show IS entertaining, I'll give you this, and it has some very high quality scenes, some of which are not taken literally from the books, but overall it's not a good adaptation of the books, and not a very good show.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: I'd say it's still a good show given it is entertaining and what is out there - for example stuff like True Blood - comparing to that hey that's a good show :) But yeah what you said is so true. For me what keeps rescues it is production value and wonderful acting which seriously rescues so many scenes.

I don't know what people want to insist that GRRM and the showrunners have some kind of antagonistic relationship. I think George understand the nature of adaptations and I think the showrunners respect his work.

I think someone who understands the process of adaptation as well as him knows when changes are blatantly unnecessary. I haven't seen the panel but tension between Martin and D+D does not surprise me. Now I don't know whether not writing for the show has anything to do with that. I believe him that the primary reason is to get cracking with TWOW which is a good thing, but I also think he may be trying to distance himself from it.

I think someone who understands the process of adaptation as well as him knows when changes are blatantly unnecessary. I haven't seen the panel but tension between Martin and D+D does not surprise me. Now I don't know whether not writing for the show has anything to do with that. I believe him that the primary reason is to get cracking with TWOW which is a good thing, but I also think he may be trying to distance himself from it.

He also believed that AFFC & ADWD would take 3 seasons of television.

I wouldn't say he has a good sense of reality when it comes to the adaption process.

but I also think he may be trying to distance himself from it.

Why do you think that?

Exactly. It's clear that he's bummed that they're not doing it this way when he was quoted as saying they had enough material for several seasons.

Why do you think that?

Exactly. It's clear that he's bummed that they're not doing it this way when he was quoted as saying they had enough material for several seasons.

I think you answered your own question here. i think he had a vision of what the show may be and he is disappointed. Was it realistic for him to assume everything will make it, no, but as an author he has the right to be a bit disenchanted.

It is very simple where the problem is if you look at his past comments.

He wants the show to go 10 seasons or have take a break or have movies at the end. This has nothing to do with the creative process of the show. He just wants more time to finish writing so he can finish before the show does.

So when the shoe decides to cut something out, of course he is going to be mad. If they remove the Iron Islands subplot, that means less time for him to write.

I wouldn't say he has a good sense of reality when it comes to the adaption process.

He's worked in television himself. I think with his own work he's been rather optimistic, sometimes foolishly so. But that shouldn't stop him seeing the unnecessary changes like Talisa, or Tyrion being whitewashed etc.

I think you answered your own question here. i think he had a vision of what the show may be and he is disappointed. Was it realistic for him to assume everything will make it, no, but as an author he has the right to be a bit disenchanted.

He had a vision the show would go 10 seasons so he could finish the books first.

It has less to do with his vision and more to do with procrastination...

Archived