House Stark: The Comeback

Will there be a stark-comeback?

I think not, as long as there are the boltons and stannis in the north.

So, let´s wait for the battle in the snow´s outcome.

Rickon is still a small child, he hardly makes a good king in the north.

I guess, the most realistic opertunity woud be bringing Sansa back in the nort, marrying her to the manderly-heir, gather loyal and still strong houses ike Reed, Mormont and soon Karstark and reboot the northern reign.

And afterwards, when things stabilzed a few years from now, Rickon may marry a Mormont girl and become new KitN.

Will there be a stark-comeback?

I think not, as long as there are the boltons and stannis in the north.

So, let´s wait for the battle in the snow´s outcome.

Rickon is still a small child, he hardly makes a good king in the north.

I guess, the most realistic opertunity woud be bringing Sansa back in the nort, marrying her to the manderly-heir, gather loyal and still strong houses ike Reed, Mormont and soon Karstark and reboot the northern reign.

And afterwards, when things stabilzed a few years from now, Rickon may marry a Mormont girl and become new KitN.

The Manderly heir is already married and his heir is a girl so that's out of the question for Sansa.

Robert Arryn is the ruler of the Vale and he's a small sick child Rickon will be fine with the right regent.

I think the Starks will regain the North, but not sure about the Riverlands. Probably nothing beyond. I don't think Jon is going to sit the Iron Throne, even should he prove to be Rhaegar's son, even should Aegon die before him to make him Rhaegar's eldest surviving son.

Ups, why did i think wylis unmarried?

Although, i think the north needs a charismatik leader, gathering all loyal forces. It has to be a stark, and rickon surely is too young for this role.

You're right and Rickon is too young but he's the heir if Bran stays 'dead'. Of course, he would need a regent though, which I agree would really need to be a Stark, so Jon, Sansa or Benjen (surely he must still be alive out there somewhere). The north would rally around Rickon + Stark regent.

I'm pretty sure we all know that House Stark is going to make a comeback by the end of the series. I mean, the last book was originally entitled "A Time for Wolves", suggesting some sort of Stark revival. I think House Stark and newly formed cadet branches will rise to power not just again in the North, but the Westerlands, Riverlands, and Iron Throne.

If R+L=J proves to be true (which I believe it does), Jon is a candidate for the Iron Throne. Granted he may have to use the Targaryen name, rather than his newly legitimized Stark name, but he grew up believing himself to be half-Stark and will accord himself as such. House Stargaryen of the Iron Throne

Bran has sort of removed himself from the line of succession, paving the way for Rickon to become Lord of Winterfell. The Original House Stark of Winterfell.

Granted the TV show may have screwed up this aspect of the theory, but I firmly believe Dan and Dave will find some way around it. Jeyne is still technically a widow of Robb Stark, she can use his name. Her uncle, Rolph Spicer, has just been raised to Lord of Castamere. He is unwed, and his heir is his sister, Sybell... Who's daughter, Jeyne, is also in a line for succession of Castamere (a known anti-Lannister seat). I still think Jeyne is with child (possibly a boy) which would add all sorts of irony and confusion because Sybell was feeding her anti-fertility potions. Her possible son would legally be _____ Stark, and heir to Castamere. It would be even greater if, finally, Castamere was able to overthrow House Lannister, like the Reynes attempted to so long ago.

House Stark of Castamere

And finally TL;DR Sansa becomes Lady of Harrenhal http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/96512-house-stark-of-harrenhal-long-but-with-tldr-summary/

House Stark of Harrenhal

Granted this kinda goes against what I think can happen. It's just an interesting possibility, for a believed to be extinguished house to rise once again to rule the North, Westerlands, Riverlands, and Iron Throne.

Buuuuuuut that's just me.

Yeah, taking Jojens solemn comment about the "Wolves will rise again" I think there will be a form of resurgence

I think there is a lot of fan wishful thinking, they'll probably be back in Winterfell and presiding over the north but I don't think it will extend beyond that and I don't think Robbs kingdom that included the Riverlands will be revived

If Jon does take the route of Jon Stark to Jon Targaryen, he is pretty much the only person now who could keep the North in the seven kingdoms and hold their loyalty, which may end up being the case

North and Riverlands are a different kettle of fish and it was pretty much united only in a generation deep marriage between Ned and Catelyn. As we saw with Robb, it is better for the north to end things at Moat Cailin and use that as a natural defense, rather than risk being cut off (like before) and there isn't exactly a strong historical roots between Riverlands and the North or their respective Lords, eg they don't have same religion etc.

I actually suspect Sansa's arc may involve her merging the Vale and Riverlands more closely as she is very much seen as looking the part of a Tully (Auburn heir) and is very much Catelyns daughter (Southron Ladylike virtues etc and the whole Harrenhall thing through the female line and Direwolves with bat wings etc) - there could be some symbolism here in that Lady's death loosens her identity as a Stark, eg the opposite of Bran and Rickon being provable as legitimate heirs through their Direwolves

I certainly don't buy any idea that Jeyne Westerling is pregnant and that the Starks will have any influence in the Westerlands. I think that was the while point, Robb was fine while he was within the bounds of the Stark/Tully hinterlands but the fact he extended into the Westerlands (by marriage) was symbolic of overstretch

EDIT: Recalling the whole "Wolves do better when in a pack" quote from Ned to Arya in GoT, I do wonder if there is a theme where they all become "Lone Wolves" and become individually powerful, then meet up again as a very powerful pack

Well, there's one prophecy of Jojen Reed, he had a prophetic dream or had a greendream of the wolves coming back.

“The wolves will come again,” said Jojen solemnly.
“And how would you being knowing, boy?”
“I dreamed it.”

So yes, I'm pretty sure they will coming back.

You're right and Rickon is too young but he's the heir if Bran stays 'dead'. Of course, he would need a regent though, which I agree would really need to be a Stark, so Jon, Sansa or Benjen (surely he must still be alive out there somewhere). The north would rally around Rickon + Stark regent.

Yeah I think Rickon will prove a crucial undeniably trueborn figurehead, he is too young to contribute amongst that, but he will be the medium in which legitimised Jon Stark can de facto rule the north and garner northern Lord loyalty as Lord-Regent until Rickon comes of age. On top of that he will obviously have the respect of a lot of Wildlings willing to work or follow him via Tormund and val in particular and perhaps Mance(?) and the Mountain Clans will play the buffer role between the two

A little bit off-topic, but I can see a potential pattern emerging in Jons arc, eg he starts off as a non-recognised bastard, earns individual recognition by saving LC Mormonts life and get individual authority via a VS blade (Longclaw). He getss recognition from Wildlings through being able to climb the Wall which is symbolically important and then he slowly works up to wider recognition and authority, eg being elected LC of NW. This then adjusts into wider authority or respect over the Wildlings as well as we can see from his Pink letter speech. Assuming he is resurrected he will then end up with recognition as a Stark and hence by the northern Lords and there will be an equivalent build-up of recognition by the Wildlings which together means he is a figurehead in which the entire north rallies around, probably through leading them and the northern Lords in battle. Finally this will jump to a wider seven kingdoms wise recognition via a presumed Targeryan heritage

The Manderly heir is already married and his heir is a girl so that's out of the question for Sansa.

Robert Arryn is the ruler of the Vale and he's a small sick child Rickon will be fine with the right regent.

Ups, why did i think wylis unmarried?

Although, i think the north needs a charismatik leader, gathering all loyal forces. It has to be a stark, and rickon surely is too young for this role.

All Rickon has to do is be a Stark. Manderly, Glover, Mormont etc will do the rest.

Yeah I have a sneaking suspicion there are plans afoot by the Manderly's to secure themselves by marrying Rickon to Wylla Manderly when Davos presumably returns with him given she is roughly of an age with him (understandable as it ensures the risk is worth it given they are on the southern edge of the North, similar logic that the Freys applied in allowing Robbs army to cross). Part of me also wonders if the Mormonts want to do the same regarding Lyanna Mormont although I'm not sure they are aware Rickon is still alive

It is worth recalling that even if Bran does come back from being a tree and rules as Prince/Lord, I think it it mentioned that his accident made him unable to have children in one of the early books, which means it is Rickons children who become heirs either way so the "Rickon card" is what trumps the Bolton/Lannister cards with regards to fArya and Sansa respectively

As mentioned earlier, Rickon is the symbolic figurehead while legitimised Jon is the charismatic practical leader that all can rally around and would be the only acceptable Lord-Regent to all parties IMO

Oh yes the starks will make a comeback. "the north remembers. And the mummers farce is almost over" The houses of the north all want a stark in winterfell. Minus the boltons. The grand northern conspiracy makes a lot of sense. On top of that you have an assassin and an all seeing (practically) stark, not to mention who knows what's going on in skagos. They are down but have a lot of pieces that make for a heck of a comeback

• 4 months later...

I want to believe they will.
I've once heard or read that GRM said that everything he writes has a purpose and that every action has a reaction. So the direwolves MUST have a purpose. All the Stark kids had direwolves and I don't think we have seen their full purpose yet. Also, we can still expect the reaction for the Red Wedding. What is to say that it won't be linked with a Stark comeback?

Archived