Discussion of the Season 5 storylines - Implications of the Casting News from San Diego

The hairy bear

After the realease of the ComicCon's video with the main additions to Season 5's cast, many notable absences have been noted: Arianne Martell, Quentyn Martell, Gerold Dayne, Euron Greyjoy, Victarion Greyjoy, Rodrik Harlaw, Jon Connington, the Young Griff/Aegon VI, Penny, Wyman Manderly, Barbrey Dustin, Jeyne Poole, Val, Alys Karstark, Dareon,...

All of those characters would be expected to appear in several episodes if S5 followed closely Feast and Dance, and would likely have been considered important enough to be featured in the video. So it seems a fair assumption saying that most of them are being cut.

So, how do you think their respective storylines will be adapted without them? (Let's try to make this post about speculating about the adaptation instead of criticizing/praising the changes being done.)

Arianne will most likely be replaced by a sand snake, meaning they will try to crown Myrcella.

Quentyn is probably morphed into Trystane.

Gerold Dayne or any version of him probably won't be in it at all.

Euron and Victarion might both be smushed into Yara, meaning she'll go to slavers bay, and end up being Iron Queen. Or Balon won't die, which means there was no real point to the leeches on Stannis' part, and they didn't matter.

I don't see a big reason for Rodrik to be in.

Jon and Aegon will probably be in, they just want to keep it a secret for now.

Penny + Tyrion, :) I can see them going that route, but she's of little importance and could be cut by D&D

Wyman will probably be GreatJon, since the viewers already know him well, and like/love him

Barbrey could be in, or she could be replaced by maege who the viewers have gotten a few glances of. The way I felt while watching the series, was that Roose was the uncontested ruler of the North, there was no talk of civil war/rebellion, and it seemed he was in a good spot. I'd be mad if they just leave it at that, give Stannis a huge force, and then have the battle of winterfell.

Jeyne was in the first episode, sitting next to Arya, but she's probably too old for it now. But since they have her pictured on the game of thrones site, I think she'll be in.

Val is probably just Ygritte 2.0 to D&D and thus cuttable.

I just noticed something while looking up the Karstark family tree, as listed by the HBO version, but there was none, and saw this on the article http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/House_Karstark

It says that they are the largest force left in the North after the Red Wedding, besides the Boltons! Does that mean there is no such thing as Manderlys anymore! Because Wyman was supposed to have like 8000 soldiers still at white harbor.

But anyway, Alys could be cut, since the Thenns don't seem to be regular Westerosi like in the books, they're more like Skagosi. I can't see Jon marrying Alys off to the Thenn's son, since he'd probably eat her once they married.

I like your speculation Fury Burns, except for the GreatJon part, as I don't think they'll bring him back since the actor left on bad terms, and he's not the kind of character you can simply replace with another actor. Because at that point, might as well just use Manderly.

I like your speculation Fury Burns, except for the GreatJon part, as I don't think they'll bring him back since the actor left on bad terms, and he's not the kind of character you can simply replace with another actor. Because at that point, might as well just use Manderly.

He left on bad terms :crying: I didn't know that, that's so sad. I really wanted to see some more GreatJon. Oh well, Manderly (if they get a good actor) will be just as great though.

I think White Harbor was mentioned in the Season 3 Lore section, and it might have made mention of House Mando too. One of the guys that was butchered in the Red Wedding was wearing the insignia of House Mando. But still, they could go the way you suggested. The Asha/Iron Queen thing intrigued me. If D&D know the ending/end of character arcs...and if Asha ends up ruling the Iron Islands in the end, I guess you could cut the brothers, or just keep one that she ends up being at odds with. I can't see Balon living on though, he's got to die.

Important to remember that the season 3 comic con casting video left out some really important roles, ramsay mance locke grey worm and Dario were all absent from the video yet have played major parts.

I was trying to remember if that was the case! I wonder if those roles got cast closer to filming, or if they witheld some information to keep fans guessing.

They cut some important characters HBO is screw with storyline who going meet with Daenerys ? I can't believe they going cut Quentyn and Arianna Martell. and No Val the wildling princess what the hell? some please fired D and D!

The thing is Tyrion said in Season 2: Episode 3 when he was talking to Pycelle about forming an alliance with House Martell that "Princess Myrcella will marry their YOUNGEST SON when she comes of age. So Trystane can't be the only son of Doran in the tv series, otherwise this is a huge inconsistency.

The thing is Tyrion said in Season 2: Episode 3 when he was talking to Pycelle about forming an alliance with House Martell that "Princess Myrcella will marry their YOUNGEST SON when she comes of age. So Trystane can't be the only son of Doran in the tv series, otherwise this is a huge inconsistency.

The Greyjoy uncles were mentioned in s1 - nothing came of that. Wendel Manderly died at the RW - nothing came of that. Tysha was mentioned up until s3 - nothing came of that.

Get the trend? Early season mentions don't matter. They set things up in case, but can change their minds.

The Greyjoy uncles were mentioned in s1 - nothing came of that. Wendel Manderly died at the RW - nothing came of that. Tysha was mentioned up until s3 - nothing came of that.

Get the trend? Early season mentions don't matter. They set things up in case, but can change their minds.

Yeah I see your point, but I think at Comic-con, D&D why they didn't include Tysha during Tyrion's scene with Jaime and then with Tywin. And for the greyjoy uncles, it is still July so they might possibly announce more casting news.

they might possibly announce more casting news.

They will, but I would be surprised if it is anything major. Some of the announcements will be returning cast (like Janos, Alliser and Lysa last year - hopefully Illyrio and Kevan this year). But most will be bit parts, like last season's Ralf Kenning, Braavosi captain and Meereenese father, since most of those were announced in the fall last year.

People cite the fact that the season 3 casting video didn't show Mance, Grey Worm, etc. I agree with that - but those parts all had a minor presence in the actual show. If Euron is announced later this year, I'm not expecting him to have a larger role than Mance did in season 3.

Not a huge inconsistency. One line that most of the audience won't remember, though I expect that people rewatching the series in the future might be thrown off by seeing that scene again, if they pay close attention.

In the early seasons the show was keeping its options open. Stuff like that or the mention of the Greyjoy uncles, plural, doesn't guarantee anything.

They will, but I would be surprised if it is anything major. Some of the announcements will be returning cast (like Janos, Alliser and Lysa last year - hopefully Illyrio and Kevan this year). But most will be bit parts, like last season's Ralf Kenning, Braavosi captain and Meereenese father, since most of those were announced in the fall last year.

People cite the fact that the season 3 casting video didn't show Mance, Grey Worm, etc. I agree with that - but those parts all had a minor presence in the actual show. If Euron is announced later this year, I'm not expecting him to have a larger role than Mance did in season 3.

Ramsay locke and Dario all played major roles in season 3 and we're not in the video.

Ramsay locke and Dario all played major roles in season 3 and we're not in the video.

I think I remember right, there was no 'casting video' for season 2 and 4 at Comic Con?

A lot of important characters were cast for season 2 and first we saw of them season 2!

(Well we did know most of the actors were.)

Seems we did find out about Pedro Pascal and Indira Varma before season 4 started , but did not find out about a well known actor, Mark Gatiss was announced until late.

Poor Michael McElhatton (Roose) was in season 2 and has a growing presence season 3 and 4, seems he was announced but nobody noticed !

They keep Iwan Rheon (Ramsay) a total secret until we saw him! In fact Ramsay showed up in season 3 after there had been a lot of wailing about his character being cut.

Seems a couple of actors were not announced until deep into one season or another.

And, to repeat, Benioff did say 'some' of the cast.

I just noticed something while looking up the Karstark family tree, as listed by the HBO version, but there was none, and saw this on the article http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/House_Karstark

It says that they are the largest force left in the North after the Red Wedding, besides the Boltons! Does that mean there is no such thing as Manderlys anymore! Because Wyman was supposed to have like 8000 soldiers still at white harbor.

But anyway, Alys could be cut, since the Thenns don't seem to be regular Westerosi like in the books, they're more like Skagosi. I can't see Jon marrying Alys off to the Thenn's son, since he'd probably eat her once they married.

I just wanted to point something out that seems to be a common mistake. That website is not a official wiki. People like to think it is but it is not. Like back in Season 1 they thought some guy was Bowen Marsh, but it was never specified. In season 4 we find out it is Yarwick. Don't take that site as show canon.

Theotizing is contagious.

1. No Arianne.

Arianne + Quentyn + Aegon = Myrcella + Trystan + Sand Snakes.

Plus we already know Jaime and Bronn are going to Dorne and definitely not going to meet Brienne and Lady Stoneheart.

2. The only child Mel is definitely going to sacrifice is Shireen. And it (successful or not) will be the end of Mel. Hallelujah.

3. To simplify the story, Mance will officially join the team Stannis and they will simply go to Winterfell together. Asha will join them willingly or unwillingly somewhere on the road.

4. No Greyjoy bros. I am inclined to agree it will be Asha's fleet to take Dany and dragons home.

After the team Dragonstone takes Winterfell, (and most likely terrible mess with the Others begins) they will send her for Dany. Possibly.

Dany already has ships at Meereen. She doesn't head to Westeros yet because she hates us. If the dragon horn matters, the warlocks (who we are already familiar with in the show) can take it to her as they were going to in the books before their ship got boarded by Euron.

Book four and five spoilers

The entirety of the Rhoyner subplot is being cut. Tyrion will wind up in Pentos and then he'll travel with Illyrio and Varys, heading for Dany. Jorah still probably kidnaps Tyrion at some point.

Tyrion and Jorah probably absorb some of Quentyns storyline and Tyrion convinces Jorah to free the dragons after Dany flies off.

But does that mean they cut Aegon? I doubt it, Aegon is pretty fucking crucial. I think they did cast Aegon: they cast a pretty boy as Trystane who hasn't even been in the books, really, and considered him a major casting announcement.

My conclusion is that the role of Aegon has been folded into Trystane's role--and it is very possible/probable that Trystane will be revealed to secretly be Aegon.

It's equally possible that they will skip out on having a secret Aegon entirely--but I think the way that they emphasized Elia and her children all of last season and especially in the Mountain and the Viper episode, suggests that the show will keep the Aegon-in-hiding storyline from the books, only instead of hiding on the Rhoyne, he's been hiding as Trystane.

What they will probably drop is any pretense of (f)Aegon, but who knows, perhaps they will try to weave in the Blackfyre backstory with the combination of Aegon and Bloodraven entering the show.

The show has made mention many times that they try to collapse locations/sets because it's such a huge expense to have extra locations. If, ultimately, Aegon's faction joins forces with Dorne, it will make for much more economical storytelling on the show to have the two factions already be merged, because then they only have to cast and locate a single new faction and they do not have to script a merger of the factions.

Likewise Myrcella seems to be absorbing much of Arianne's role into her role. I was always surprised that they cast Myrcella and Rickon in season 1, because I thought they would be obvious cuts to make, they have almost no on screen role in major events, and are offscreen/MIA for 98% of the story, but evidently they were important enough to pour money into early on for a second half of the series pay off.

Now Myrcella's role is being beefed up. If there isn't an Arianne/Aegon marriage, I imagine that Myrcella/Trystane marriage is going to supplant it. Arianne's character is probably being absorbed by both Myrcella (Arianne/Myrcella marries Trystane/Aegon) and by some of the SandSnake characters.

remember how cool Doran's line is "vengeance justice fire and blood?" it's a great line, but it has no content behind it other than an attempt of a feint of a plan resting on the shoulders of an inept and dolorous young man. They could retain that kickass line, and instead have a killer reveal that Trystane is Aegon.

Archived