How will Jon 'survve' the stabbing

Attitude

He's dead. He won't survive. His plot is finished. He had an important role in the story: to bring the Wildlings south of the Wall. Every single step of his journey led to that moment. R+L=J is not the Song of Ice and Fire. It's a minor detail that got less and less important the longer Ned Stark was dead.

Who is going to save Jon? He has no friends at Castle Black. The Wildlings swore an oath, but they can treat with the next LC as easily as Jon. They just found out they were tricked into thinking their King was dead. Do you really think they care about a Crow who stabbed them in the back? The Queen can't stand him and her men treat him with disdain. The non-Wildling NW are the ones who stabbed him. Jon purposefully sent his friends away. Sam can't save him from Oldtown even with a glass candle. Nor can any of his friends at the other castles on the wall like Pyp, Grenn and Edd. Leathers and Satin aren't going to rescue him, they just don't have the numbers.

Melisandre is everyone's choice to save him. She warned him of his fate. She told him there would be daggers in the dark. She told him to keep Ghost near. He ignored her. She left the Shield Hall in a rush, presumably to try to figure out if her King, her Azor Ahai is actually dead. Stannis is her fixation. She's bet everything on Stannis. She can't be wrong about that. Until she sees Stannis in the flames, no amount of chaos will break her trance. Even if she finds Stannis through the blizzard the Old Gods have sent, why help Jon now? What does she gain from having him alive?

Ned sent away the majority of his household guard and then tried to depose a King relying on the Goldcloaks to back him. He thinks he has their support, he thinks that he will succeed in arresting the Queen and it all falls apart. Jon sends his friends to various castles and Oldtown. He relies on the Wildlings to help him lead an attack on Winterfell. He thinks he has their support, he thinks that he will succeed in defeating Ramsay and it all falls apart.

Robb angers the Karstarks by showing no mercy to Lord Rickard. He angers the Freys by marrying Jeyne. He ignores Greywind at the Twins when he starts freaking out. Jon angers a lot of the Night's Watch by showing no mercy to Janos Slynt. He angers the Queen's Men by not allowing them to marry Val. He ignores Ghost when he starts freaking out.

Jon dies like a Stark of Winterfell. That's what Jon always wanted to be and that's how he dies. His arc is complete. The first dagger killed him. That's why he can't unsheath Longclaw; he was already losing too much blood.

Valar Morghulis. All Men Must Die. Even Jon.

The first dagger barely grazed his skin but is somehow lethal? Wow, and here I thought 'barely grazed the skin' somehow meant, you know, a graze. Guess I was wrong. I suppose I'd better watch out the next time I get scratched, or I could bleed to death :p

GRRM stating: "Oh, you think he's dead, do you?" shows that he isn't dead at the end of his final chapter in aDwD en most likely not at all. If he was dead, or would die in tWoW, GRRM most likely would've stated something like: "Well, if you read carefully, nothing says he died (you can fill in "yet" at the end)."

GRRM is almost saying: Dude, do you really think he is going to die? Have you even read the books? LMAO.

He won't die (IMO), I figured that out by reading myself. It just doesn't fit in. Maybe GRRM killed of 1 (maybe 2 if you count Robb) main characters of the serie, but Jon, Tyrion and Dany are way to big to get killed (this early). If he really was going to die, the entire 'riddle' about his parentage would be useless. GRRM has put way to much effort into that, just make it have no meaning.

The first dagger barely grazed his skin but is somehow lethal? Wow, and here I thought 'barely grazed the skin' somehow meant, you know, a graze. Guess I was wrong. I suppose I'd better watch out the next time I get scratched, or I could bleed to death :P

A graze that causes "blood to well between his fingers" and for some unknowable reason he can't draw his sword from his scabbard. That's a deep graze. He felt it as a graze.

A graze that causes "blood to well between his fingers" and for some unknowable reason he can't draw his sword from his scabbard. That's a deep graze. He felt it as a graze.

It's his neck. It's a well known fact that scratches on the face and neck bleed more because they contain more small blood vessels. If the book says "Barely grazed", then he was barely grazed. It's pointless trying to make THAT wound the deadly one when it's clear that it wasn't. Also, he has two other stab wounds that are potentially deadly on their own.

I dont think mel reviving him should be dismissed... If she does revive him it opens a whole new pathway for jon as he has died, served his time in the nights watch and can now leave to pursue other vendettas. There is so many ways this can go but i believe with so much of jons background secret it would almost be a waste to kill him off... Maybe thats more a hope than belief lol

He's dead. He won't survive. His plot is finished. He had an important role in the story: to bring the Wildlings south of the Wall. Every single step of his journey led to that moment. R+L=J is not the Song of Ice and Fire. It's a minor detail that got less and less important the longer Ned Stark was dead.

Who is going to save Jon? He has no friends at Castle Black. The Wildlings swore an oath, but they can treat with the next LC as easily as Jon. They just found out they were tricked into thinking their King was dead. Do you really think they care about a Crow who stabbed them in the back? The Queen can't stand him and her men treat him with disdain. The non-Wildling NW are the ones who stabbed him. Jon purposefully sent his friends away. Sam can't save him from Oldtown even with a glass candle. Nor can any of his friends at the other castles on the wall like Pyp, Grenn and Edd. Leathers and Satin aren't going to rescue him, they just don't have the numbers.

Melisandre is everyone's choice to save him. She warned him of his fate. She told him there would be daggers in the dark. She told him to keep Ghost near. He ignored her. She left the Shield Hall in a rush, presumably to try to figure out if her King, her Azor Ahai is actually dead. Stannis is her fixation. She's bet everything on Stannis. She can't be wrong about that. Until she sees Stannis in the flames, no amount of chaos will break her trance. Even if she finds Stannis through the blizzard the Old Gods have sent, why help Jon now? What does she gain from having him alive?

Ned sent away the majority of his household guard and then tried to depose a King relying on the Goldcloaks to back him. He thinks he has their support, he thinks that he will succeed in arresting the Queen and it all falls apart. Jon sends his friends to various castles and Oldtown. He relies on the Wildlings to help him lead an attack on Winterfell. He thinks he has their support, he thinks that he will succeed in defeating Ramsay and it all falls apart.

Robb angers the Karstarks by showing no mercy to Lord Rickard. He angers the Freys by marrying Jeyne. He ignores Greywind at the Twins when he starts freaking out. Jon angers a lot of the Night's Watch by showing no mercy to Janos Slynt. He angers the Queen's Men by not allowing them to marry Val. He ignores Ghost when he starts freaking out.

Jon dies like a Stark of Winterfell. That's what Jon always wanted to be and that's how he dies. His arc is complete. The first dagger killed him. That's why he can't unsheath Longclaw; he was already losing too much blood.

Valar Morghulis. All Men Must Die. Even Jon.

Yeah, the first dagger killed him. Despite the fact that he's clearly alive for the next three. Sure.

He's not dead yet. You know how I know?

He never felt the fourth knife, only the cold...

You can't feel the cold if you're dead.

He can die on the first page of the first chapter of TWoW but until such time as GRRM writes that he's dead he continues to be alive.

Poor guy. Stabbed years ago and still lingering between life and death.

Yes, all men must die--even Jon Snow...just not quite yet.

Yeah, the first dagger killed him. Despite the fact that he's clearly alive for the next three. Sure.

He's not dead yet. You know how I know?

You can't feel the cold if you're dead.

He can die on the first page of the first chapter of TWoW but until such time as GRRM writes that he's dead he continues to be alive.

Poor guy. Stabbed years ago and still lingering between life and death.

Yes, all men must die--even Jon Snow...just not quite yet.

This. We haven't actually seen him die yet, so he's not dead yet. Like you said, I've could be dead by the first words if the next book, but we haven't actually seen him die.

And another little side note, no character has died when in their POV, ned died from aryas POV! This is a big factor for me :)

Technically Cat did. She was just brought back.

exactly

He should be fine at that point, the other daggers could kill him for sure. But I just don't see it happen. However, I am still figuring out how he will survive it. A simple: "after a couple of weeks of rest he returned to full strength" story would be kind of lame.

I endorse the theory of jon warging into ghost, if he dies. but i don't see him being revived or healed while he is in ghost, that doesn't make sense. why would it be necessary for him to warg into ghost, if he can be saved? then they would just heal him and that was it.

if he should die, i don't like the idea of him being resurrected, he wouldn't be jon anymore.

if he doesn't die, the end of his last chapter in adwd would be a cheesy cliffhanger.

if he dies, wargs and then wargs into another body (what i've been thinking about) he wouldn't be jon for the rest of the world anymore. He surely could convince sam and others who know him closely with insight knowledge of him. but in the end he wouldn't be the jon we know anymore. i know it sounds a little like some kind of gandalf-the-white-storyline, but i can see it. i don't really like it, but the other options seem unrealistic to me.

either way i think i won't get a really satisfying continuation of his story :(

I endorse the theory of jon warging into ghost, if he dies. but i don't see him being revived or healed while he is in ghost, that doesn't make sense. why would it be necessary for him to warg into ghost, if he can be saved? then they would just heal him and that was it.

if he should die, i don't like the idea of him being resurrected, he wouldn't be jon anymore.

if he doesn't die, the end of his last chapter in adwd would be a cheesy cliffhanger.

if he dies, wargs and then wargs into another body (what i've been thinking about) he wouldn't be jon for the rest of the world anymore. He surely could convince sam and others who know him closely with insight knowledge of him. but in the end he wouldn't be the jon we know anymore. i know it sounds a little like some kind of gandalf-the-white-storyline, but i can see it. i don't really like it, but the other options seem unrealistic to me.

either way i think i won't get a really satisfying continuation of his story :(

Bran did the same thing. It looks like somehow the direwolves can help keep the humans alive.

Also, at this point, I think any 'are they dead?!' cliffhanger is cheesy because we've had it so many damn times already.

I think the entire point of Jon's death/near death plotwise is to get him out of the Night's Watch and onto the next part of his journey. I think he'll appear to be dead and will warg into Ghost for a chapter. I think he definitely will have words said over his body that officially release him from his vows. Maybe they will go to burn his body and he will rise from the pyre, like Dany did at the end of AGOT? That would be an intentional call back to her arc and "rebirth".

And if a newly reborn Jon rises freed from his vows, I can see the remaining Watch not allowing him to retake his vows. That would drive the point home that he didn't abandon them, they send him away for his own good or out of fear of him.

As for the show, I don't think it was any coincidence that at the end of season 4 they made a point to have Aemon release the dead NW brothers from their vows before burning them. Mark my words, that will be a call back next season with Jon to remind viewers what it means.

Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised at ALL to see Jon return in the season 5 finale and not do a cliffhanger ending.

He should be fine at that point, the other daggers could kill him for sure. But I just don't see it happen. However, I am still figuring out how he will survive it. A simple: "after a couple of weeks of rest he returned to full strength" story would be kind of lame.

They'll sterilize his wounds with hot wine, just like in The Hedge Knight.

Honestly the only real danger he has (other than possible paralysis) is infection. And the belly wound is the worst one. I've had peritonitis. It's not fun. And it can easily kill you. But if they can hold it off, there's no reason he can't recover in time. A medically...I mean magically induced coma might help.

Archived