Slaver's Bay sucks.

Super Daario

There, I said it.

We had to suffer a whole book of Mereenese, Yunkish, Astapori, and so on. I don't think I can take any more. The very first Dany chapter I hope the dragons eat them all and Dany leaves the place for good.

Everything about these guys is foul. Their 'culture', their food, even their ridiculous hair.

Well, the Shavepate is kind of cool, at least. He is the only one who is actually pretty awesome.

Btw, the Green Grace is the Harpy. She's been playing Dany like a set of pipes this whole time. It's obvious.

Why do you think GRRM keeps releasing Essos chapters now? He knows we're gonna skip em anyway

Speak for yourself yo! I like Essos, I'll keep reading them.

OP I can't tell if you're saying the people of Slaver's Bay are foul--if so, then hell to the yes a lot of them are--or if the Slaver's Bay chapters are foul as something you just don't like to read--in which case that's your opinion and I can respect it.

I enjoyed every after Essos storyline like bBraavos, Qarth etc. For its exotic vibes like a description from a medieval monch travelling through Asia. But Slavers Bay........ weird dog eating people with starnge hair, almost everyone is antipathic. One book would have been enough. Please, Dany , go to Pentos, Westeros, Asshai, Qarth or wherever you want to, but leave Slavers Bay!!!

I like Dany's chapters but it does seem like an overkill to make us hate the Ghiscari. There's literally nothing likable about their culture. From the treatment of Unsullied to the puppy eating to the blood sport, they're written to be complete jokes. I'm halfway between thinking this is intentional to raise opinions of Dany fighting the bad guys or GRRM actually just thinking they're one dimensional bad guys. The former seems more "him" but if that's the case why make ten Dany chapters that do not paint her in a good light?

PS. Love Ghiscari names though. If HIzdahr zo Loraq wasn't such an ass hat I'd like him just because of the name... Galazza Galare sounds like an 80s arcade game.

I remember being happy Dany wasn't leaving Meereen because I didn't want her anywhere near Westeros after the Red Wedding. :lol:

Then I got to book five...

I don't like the Slaver's Bay arc for the same reason I don't like the Seastone Chair arc: It's just a Game of Thrones somewhere else. A troubled kingdom, a throne in peril, plots, treasons... We've already done this. I couldn't be bothered with all the names and silly hair styles. Book 5 was like detail overload.

It doesn't help SB is a cesspit.

I actually like the whole Slaver's Bay plot. I like worldbuilding and stuff so yeah... I liked how everybody is plotting against Dany and how some people are secretly against her, how her luck turned and everything got f*cked up because she is stuck in an evil slaver city. Her story has paralells to Cersei's story in AFfC which I liked. Of course I expected like everybody else that Dany would at least get somewhere by the end of the book (and not back to Dothraki sea in the last chapter) but I still found it interesting to read.

I like to read the chapters in Slaver's Bay and i want to know more about the Ghiscari.

And what we read about them is, in my opinion, quite interesting: history (the first empire in history and a very long lived culture), architecture (huge stepped pyramids), society (masters, free citizens and slaves), religion (the Graces and the 33 Gods), names (Grazdan the Great), economy (slave based, with farms in the countryside), clothes (tokar and pleated linen skirts), food (octopus stew), military traditions (the legions).

I would loved if Martin decides to write more about them.

I just hope the drastic decrease in quality since A storm of swords isn't because of George's age and the level bounces back up with the next book. The entire culture of Essos was as ridiculous as it is boring and he spent entirely too much time on one of his worst characters, Brienne, in the book before...

I mean, I still like the later books, aSoIaF is my favourite series of all time and they had some delicious moments but I think anyone who says "Feast" or "Dance" are at the same level as there predecessors is deluded or flat out lieing to seem cool. I have a feeling George just got immersed in his universe and started adding loads of filler to make his series more epic and the plot twists at the end seem more dramatic.

I just hope the drastic decrease in quality since A storm of swords isn't because of George's age and the level bounces back up with the next book. The entire culture of Essos was as ridiculous as it is boring and he spent entirely too much time on one of his worst characters, Brienne, in the book before...

I mean, I still like the later books, aSoIaF is my favourite series of all time and they had some delicious moments but I think anyone who says "Feast" or "Dance" are at the same level as there predecessors is deluded or flat out lieing to seem cool. I have a feeling George just got immersed in his universe and started adding loads of filler to make his series more epic and the plot twists at the end seem more dramatic.

I loved ADWD. Feast has its problems.

Archived