Gendry's future? Predictions thread

Blackfyre Gateau

My money is on him intersecting with Stannis' story in the North, through Brienne's POV. I just have a feeling he has a role to play yet, and not as a sacrifice. I always think of Ned's observation in the first novel about him being born to wear armour and wield weapons, rather than making them - Sure it will come to pass (and yes I mean beyond him just spearing people in AFFC).

I'd also like to see him encounter Arya again, and I think it will happen - and no it doesn't have to be romantic in any way.

Thoughts?

He ends up king and married to Dany. He's one of the heads of the dragon. The Others bow down before his Self-forged Valaryian blade. And he pees gold.

Is that what you wanted to hear, OP?

Actually, I don't find all of this impossible. Gentry will play a role.

He ends up king and married to Dany. He's one of the heads of the dragon. The Others bow down before his Self-forged Valaryian blade. And he pees gold.

Is that what you wanted to hear, OP?

Nope, I don't think that's any more likely than Jon or Sansa on the IT. I don't really go in for any of the major fandom camps or the fantastic predictions about 'idealised futures'.

My instinct is he'll end up a warrior but I don't know who he'll be fighting - some part of me thinks for rather than against Stannis. I'm hoping the former.

I think there are two possibilities:

One, he comes back to Arya and they end up together, maybe as a legitimized Baratheon and Lord of Storm's End.

Or he will be the one to reforge Ice from Widow's Wail and Oath Keeper.

OR both.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

These are what I'm leaning towards too.

Robert gets the son he could be proud of, just not around to see it.

It would be nice if his main three we hear about, Gendry, Mya, and Edric, play a decent role, because the three he thought were his, aren't. Joff, Myrcella, Tommen.

Both are two boys and one girl. Not earth-shattering, but a nice touch.

I think it'd be interesting if he meets Septon Meribald, becomes religious, and fights for the Faith Militant. Not likely, but it is a possibility. Ideally, I'd like to see him fighting with Stannis and becoming legitimatized for renown in battle. That also is not likely, but I can dream.

I think it'd be interesting if he meets Septon Meribald, becomes religious, and fights for the Faith Militant. Not likely, but it is a possibility. Ideally, I'd like to see him fighting with Stannis and becoming legitimatized for renown in battle. That also is not likely, but I can dream.

Even if he's not legtimised as a Baratheon, it's not outside the realms of possibility that he gets 'Onion Knight' treatment from Stannis on grounds of bravery - but with a new surname!

I think the 'rise' angle with Gendry is a stretch - I see him growing into a fearsome warrior, but not ending up as a knight/ lord and certainly not as a king.

I think there are two possibilities:

One, he comes back to Arya and they end up together, maybe as a legitimized Baratheon and Lord of Storm's End.

Or he will be the one to reforge Ice from Widow's Wail and Oath Keeper.

OR both.

These are my favorite options, as well. I definitely think his smith skills will end up playing a part in the Battle for the Dawn, and I hope he'll play a role in reuniting whatever's left of the Starks. Thus 'helping' Lady Stoneheart without continuing the vengeance business, and in a way setting to rights what his father accidentally helped destroy in the first place.

My money is on him intersecting with Stannis' story in the North, through Brienne's POV. I just have a feeling he has a role to play yet, and not as a sacrifice. I always think of Ned's observation in the first novel about him being born to wear armour and wield weapons, rather than making them - Sure it will come to pass (and yes I mean beyond him just spearing people in AFFC).

I'd also like to see him encounter Arya again, and I think it will happen - and no it doesn't have to be romantic in any way.

Thoughts?

Gendry meeting Arya again is something I'd really like to see, but I'm not very hopeful about that.

If he crosses paths with Stannis and Mel, I am interested in what Gendry's reaction will be, if Mel wants to burn him for king's blood. Him being a R'hllor supporter now, will he walk willingly into the fire as Jon expectes Selyse to do? I guess not. He is not stupid, irrespective of what Arya calls him.

But he and Brienne are too far away from the Wall and Stannis. One way to reach there is if Jaime's soldiers finally capture BwB and send them all to the Wall, like they did to the Kingswood Brotherhood. Ulmer dancing to Tom's songs will be nice to watch. But its all gonna take a long time for travelling.

I think it is more practical for Gendry to meet Sansa in the Vale. Either by him going there with the BwB or Brienne, or by her coming to the Riverlands for revenge/wedding/riverrun etc. If he meets Mya, they will make a good pair of siblings, the Mule and the Bull.

If he returns to KL instead, to the hands of Varys and co., then they can make Aegon VI legitimize Gendry and make him their loyal Lord of Storm's End. The situation will be even more interesting if Sansa was Aegon's queen. Because Stannis tried to deny Winterfell to Sansa by legitimizing Jon.

Most unexpected but not impossible future for Gendry is him being a dragonrider.

As for Brienne, it is a big issue.

She knows who Gendry is and seems to want to get it out so badly to him, and attempts to, and it doesn't work out. She is prevented from doing so. But she hates Stannis because of Renly.

So Stannis and Brienne in the same room, so to speak, and anything over Gendry, I don't know how that could play out.

Plus, her arc is nowhere near where Stannis is.

Thoros hung with Robert, but either doesn't see the resemblance to Gendry who he sees a lot, or he is keeping mum. Wish he'd check his friggin' fires.

I think he and Brienne are in the BWB, Jaime, LS, web and possibly run into the Hound. Arya returning, Nymeria in the areas, and Sansa are possibilities.

Stannis is further away from him than Sansa is but much closer than Arya.

So I have no idea.

Gendry will be the true knight his father never really was - and perhaps the leader of the Brotherhood Without Banners. I suspect he will be the inheritor of House Baratheon - that will probably mean the rightful heir of Storm's End (as for the Iron Throne that is another matter). Not because he wants it, but precisely because he doesn't.

The BWB are themselves a strange symbol & side-effect of House Baratheon and its struggles.

They got their start bringing justice in the name of King Robert, thanks to Eddard Stark's command, Stark being the only true friend their house really had. He and Robert not related, they were under different banners; but minus that, they were as close as brothers - closer than Robert's own kin.

Think about their name: the Brotherhood Without Banners. The BWB are symbolic of the Baratheons, the brotherhood of Robert, Stannis, and Renly. "Banners" represent the bonds broken because of the politics and personal rivalries (the banners) going on between the 3 brothers, and also the false front of the king's supposed children. It is brotherhood (fidelity) which is true, and banners (pride) which is false. Robert, Stannis, and Renly destroyed their house with their highborn pride.

However, the BWB mission evolved into helping the smallfolk survive the carnage their liege lords had wrought. What is the end game - a leader of House Baratheon who can actually bring justice back into the realm. But to do this, it is fated to be someone who has brotherhood in their heart but no banner of pride to separate them from the common people.

The heir of House Baratheon, the one for whom the BWB was destined to be associated with, to teach and recruit, and ultimately follow, is Gendry.

Bastards have no banners, if unacknowledged. (Edric Storm is a bastard too, but has that highborn arrogance - he carries a banner.)

The people are Gendry's brothers, and his knighthood was earned the hard way, with nothing flowing arbitrarily from his lineage, and his oath was sincerely sworn.

So my prediction is that Gendry will complete his progression, and go from obscure bastard of Flea Bottom, to BWB knight, to BWB leader after Lady Stoneheart, to acknowledged heir of House Baratheon after all the others have failed.

Gendry will be the true knight his father never really was - and perhaps the leader of the Brotherhood Without Banners. I suspect he will be the inheritor of House Baratheon - that will probably mean the rightful heir of Storm's End (as for the Iron Throne that is another matter). Not because he wants it, but precisely because he doesn't.

The BWB are themselves a strange symbol & side-effect of House Baratheon and its struggles.

They got their start bringing justice in the name of King Robert, thanks to Eddard Stark's command, Stark being the only true friend their house really had. He and Robert not related, they were under different banners; but minus that, they were as close as brothers - closer than Robert's own kin.

Think about their name: the Brotherhood Without Banners. The BWB are symbolic of the Baratheons, the brotherhood of Robert, Stannis, and Renly. "Banners" represent the bonds broken because of the politics and personal rivalries (the banners) going on between the 3 brothers, and also the false front of the king's supposed children. It is brotherhood (fidelity) which is true, and banners (pride) which is false. Robert, Stannis, and Renly destroyed their house with their highborn pride.

However, the BWB mission evolved into helping the smallfolk survive the carnage their liege lords had wrought. What is the end game - a leader of House Baratheon who can actually bring justice back into the realm. But to do this, it is fated to be someone who has brotherhood in their heart but no banner of pride to separate them from the common people.

The heir of House Baratheon, the one for whom the BWB was destined to be associated with, to teach and recruit, and ultimately follow, is Gendry.

Bastards have no banners, if unacknowledged. (Edric Storm is a bastard too, but has that highborn arrogance - he carries a banner.)

The people are Gendry's brothers, and his knighthood was earned the hard way, with nothing flowing arbitrarily from his lineage, and his oath was sincerely sworn.

So my prediction is that Gendry will complete his progression, and go from obscure bastard of Flea Bottom, to BWB knight, to BWB leader after Lady Stoneheart, to acknowledged heir of House Baratheon after all the others have failed.

I like this theory. Although, I think for it to work right, Edric Storm's going to have to die. Now, I'm going to add a little darker note to this theory. The BWB has basically adopted the red god, so it would make sense for Gendry to follow him. And Mel was all in favor of burning Edric. I'm not sure how it would connect, but I think if this theory is true, Edric will be burned. Just sort of a crackpot attached to your much better theory.

Whoah….this is just perfection. Love it.

I once did a post regarding how Gendry felt and what is was like to look in from afar as Arya and Edric Dayne were talking about "lords and ladies stuff" in SOS. Basically how he was "not-a-lord-zoned."

It was easy to write. He was buddies with Arya and really felt left out. Actually, he pondered so many things about his station in life. It never seemed to bother him before. But you really felt for him. Still do when I re-read that chapter. He does not come across as jealous or resentful in a bad way. It's not a poor me, woe is me, I'm not rich, I have no prestige, I want to be a lord or in that class to do lord-like things. Other things mattered regarding it.

And to me I really felt it is irony, of course, because we know who his father is. And as for blood, Baratheon, Targ, Estermont runs through those hammer-wielding veins.

I always felt that we partly get that scene because it will be even more touching later. That this boy will achieve good things, and he is much more than he knows he is or will be.

He already met Septon Meribald. He wasn't moved by him, and refused to pray woth him because he follows the Lord of Light

Robert 2.0

At some point he will go to war with his bull helm (wich is an hint of his future as warrior) and with his dad great hammer

And despite not being raised as a knight he will be great, GRRM will explain it with 4 simple points

-he's been raised as a blacksmith, he's fucking strong and durable, used to work the entire day wielding an hammer for hours and hours. Also flea bottom brawl school bro, it saved Ser Dunk ass where years of knight training did'nt :D

-fuck up people's skull with an hammer knight style require surely skill, but probably way less than sword&shield, spears or any other less strenght-focused weapon, if he have some natural talent with the right master he may get good in relative short time. Is probably the most simple weapon in knight's typical arsenal... notice how the best mace/hammer knights are ever praised for theyr strenght/aggressiveness more than for theyr skill

-Robert's crazy genetic, back in the days dude was a monster... as brute strenght probably Mountain and Greatjon are probably the only (westerosi knights) stronger than him, and he was way faster than both, using an hammer that 99% of peoples can't even wield faster than your average swordman wield his sword.

Dude was the prime Mike Tyson of westerosi knights world :D

If Gendry is born with some of it (not only athleticism, i mean instinct, natural talent, aggresiveness too) a decent weapon master will turn him into a bonebreaker machine in months

-as weapon maces and hammer are the nightmare of any heavy armored knight (example Baelor's death in Dunk's first book), is a weapon that perform better than any other against that kind of opponent, being designed specifically for it.

It may very well being a balancing factor against more skilled/experienced knights

Also not only the emphasys on the helm look like a hint at his future as warrior, even the bull as animal is kinda Baratheonish

I'm not saying he's going to be good as The Demon of the Trident

I'm saying that he have the potential to pass in very short time from being nobody to being able to crush 9 opponents out 10

It is something he shares with the character of Sandor. They have animal avatars. Bull and Hound. And much is made about their helms in the story.

A lot.

Like a lot.

Also, not like Robb had Rodrik, but I am sure he spars and picked up a thing or two hanging with the BWB.

Archived