GRRM's death fake outs

Julia Martell

Lately, quite a few people on this forum have been discussing the idea of characters who were reported dead being alive, specifically Quentyn Martell and Loras Tyrell. I'm personally on the fence.

My question is for the veterans that have been around since, like 1996, or whatever.

Has the George fooled us before. Did fans actually believe Davos was dead when it was reported? Or Theon?

Be honest.

From what I've seen, it was never suggested that Theon was dead, just hostage to Ramsay. (Roose tried to give Cat and Robb a strip of his skin at the RW.)

I certainly thought they were suggesting he was dead, that they had killed and flayed him. But I'm a pessimist.

I didn't believe Davos was dead. It just didn't make sense to me as a reader. Such a major character killed off-screen? Nah.

ETA: I did dismiss Theon as dead but since I read book 1-5 straight through I wasn't surprised he was still alive. I was more annoyed than anything.

The general rule of thumb (exception: Syrio, because really) is to be skeptical unless you see the person actually die. So Arya, Davos, Theon, Loras, etc. should have raised skepticism. But guys like Robb, Quentyn and Ned are pretty concrete. There's nothing cliffhanger-ish about Quentyn Martell's death.

The general rule of thumb (exception: Syrio, because really) is to be skeptical unless you see the person actually die. So Arya, Davos, Theon, Loras, etc. should have raised skepticism. But guys like Robb, Quentyn and Ned are pretty concrete. There's nothing cliffhanger-ish about Quentyn Martell's death.

well he actually didnt die at that moment, and it took a cuple of days as Barristan states in ones of his WOW chapters

Has the George fooled us before. Did fans actually believe Davos was dead when it was reported? Or Theon?

No, at least as pertains to the overwhelming amount of readers. It does not help when the author is fond of repeating the same trope over and over again.

well he actually didnt die at that moment, and it took a cuple of days as Barristan states in ones of his WOW chapters

It was actually "The Queen's Hand" chapter at the end of ADWD. Took him three days to die, then died before the sun rose on the fourth day. Only time Quent seemed to smile was in death.

From what I've seen, it was never suggested that Theon was dead, just hostage to Ramsay. (Roose tried to give Cat and Robb a strip of his skin at the RW.)

Well, the skin is presented in ASOS, Theon's is knocked in ACOK, long enough time to believe he was dead. I did fell for it :blushing:

Also by the time Ramsay betrayed Theon most character who "died" remain dead. (Ned, Renly, Robert, Viserys, etc). But now, we can even see a character die, and later learn it was glamour or some magic (Mance/Rattleshirt is one of my less liked fake deaths in the serie)

Also by the time Ramsay betrayed Theon most character who "died" remain dead. (Ned, Renly, Robert, Viserys, etc). But now, we can even see a character die, and later learn it was glamour or some magic (Mance/Rattleshirt is one of my less liked fake deaths in the serie)

Totally agree, especially about Mance. The feeling from the first couple books that war and politics have bloody, real consequences has started to fade. Mance was an oathbreaker who tried to invade the realm of Stannis, a man notorious for his lack of mercy. But he gets a get-out-of-jail free card for reasons that don't even make sense

I actually believed Bran and Rickon were dead for a few chapters. Don't remember if I thought Theon was. Or Davos either.

I believed that Bran and Rickon were dead too, but by the time Davos's "death", I had learned andI doubted it from the beginning.

Archived