Davos is one of my favorites because...

OrangeStallion

I love Lord Seaworth because he is as loyal as they come but is not willing to commit any acts that go against his moral code, even if it might cost him his head. I like the fact that when KING stannis took his finger tips he viewed this as fair and just when most people including myself would be like WTF you DICK i saved you and all of your subjects from starvation lol

While I really like Davos, I am not a huge fan of his chapters. Some are good, and some are just not that interesting.

I think Stannis would do well without Mel, but I tend to think he would fail without Davos. He may not be the smartest Westeros has to offer, but he does seem to be one of the few with a dose of common sense. Stannis with Mel and no Davos to check her is a recipe for catastrophe.

Everything hasn't played out yet, but Stannis' march on Winterfell is looking a little rough.

couldn't agree more!

I'm not a huge Ned fan tbh, not because he was a bad guy (cause he very much wasn't) but because he puts honor above right and wrong. I feel like he is too stubborn sometimes to see that honor is not Always right way to go. and he tends to see the world very black and white. while Davos has some life experience in the matter, he knows situations aren't black and white and when he has to chose between doing the honorable thing or the right thing, he choses the right thing! Davos is the impersonation of morality and on top of that he posesses 90% of all the braincells in this series!

all hail Davos!

While I'm a Davos fan, he isn't my favorite character. But I do say this: if I had the responsibility to personally evaluate every character in the series and pick somebody to sit the Iron Throne? Davos of the House Seaworth, the First of His Name. He would rock.

Unfortunately, I don't pick and that's hard to imagine. But I'm hoping that Stannis either dies or gets convinced to drop his claim* (and he would drop his claim if he were somehow convinced someone else's claim was better), so that Davos can be Dany's or Jon's Hand. (Or Tommen's or Aegon's or Littlefinger's or whoever's.)

*Pre-emptive "I like Stannis, it ain't personal" interjection goes here.

Because he saved the Night's Watch (and likely the realm), and he ain't afraid of highborn assholes like Axell Florent or Jared Frey

And because Liam Cunningham sort of hinted at an interesting twist regarding him and power/ambition :devil:

Out of my 4 favourite characters (Davos, Stannis, Theon, Jaime), I think, he has the definitely highest chance to be still alive at the end of the series.

That's a peculiar list of favorite characters, but I think it's pretty justified. I'm super excited for Theon. His redemption is almost to fruition. Jaime? He's got wits and as of late, a conscience. Davos is easily one of my two most anticipated storylines at this point. Rooting for him to come back with Rickon.

couldn't agree more!

I'm not a huge Ned fan tbh, not because he was a bad guy (cause he very much wasn't) but because he puts honor above right and wrong. I feel like he is too stubborn sometimes to see that honor is not Always right way to go. and he tends to see the world very black and white. while Davos has some life experience in the matter, he knows situations aren't black and white and when he has to chose between doing the honorable thing or the right thing, he choses the right thing! Davos is the impersonation of morality and on top of that he posesses 90% of all the braincells in this series!

all hail Davos!

That doesn't exactly make sense, considering right and wrong is so blurred and arbitrary and can change in an instant. Ned did his best. Wasn't good enough to save himself or Robert, but many learned from his mistakes. Moral mistakes? No. Simply false judgment in the heat of the moment was all it took to do him in. Catelyn made even graver mistakes, nabbing Tyrion on an impulse and eating up her sister's lies like a chump. Really at the heart of it, she underestimated Littlefinger. She shouldn't have spurned him.

I have to admit, during his initial chapters he bored me a little. However, he has to be one of the only characters, maybe the only, that everyone likes. I can easily see people maybe disliking his chapters or find them boring, but as a character in general he is loyal, good, a little presumptuous and sneakily badass.

P.S. The North remembers chapter is one of the best of the series

I notice your Avatar is Sansa though. Don't you feel that their POV's are very similar?

To an extent, yes. The crucial difference being that I find one a compelling character who's development has been one of the most interesting in the entire series, while the other is a bit of a wet blanket.

That doesn't exactly make sense, considering right and wrong is so blurred and arbitrary and can change in an instant. Ned did his best. Wasn't good enough to save himself or Robert, but many learned from his mistakes. Moral mistakes? No. Simply false judgment in the heat of the moment was all it took to do him in. Catelyn made even graver mistakes, nabbing Tyrion on an impulse and eating up her sister's lies like a chump. Really at the heart of it, she underestimated Littlefinger. She shouldn't have spurned him.

I don't think right and wrong are all that blurred. and they're only difficult decisions when it's either doing the right thing or doing the wrong thing but therefor save yourself/someone you love... see jaime pushing bran out the window... Ned didn't have to make choices like that, as far as I remember. he only had to chose between doing the right thing and he considered the honorable thing more important. because look at how he treats people... when jaime saves the city by killing the mad king Ned makes him out the be the bad guy because he "broke his oath" which means Ned think that Jaime should have just let the king do whatever he wanted simply because he made a promise that he, according to ned, shouldn't break under any circemstances. that's pretty black and white if you ask me, same goes for the deserter from the night's watch that he doesn't even listen too because he broke his oath so he deserves to die... (although this one I could forgive him for because I don't think he really had a choice in killing him since the law is so final on deserters)

davos on the other hand, breaks his oath to save edric storm because it's the right thing to do. I don't see Ned doing that since he condamned Jaime so hard for doing the right thing... Ned is too stubborn and seems to feel like his way is the superior way and judges everyone with his standards while they are far from perfect.

To an extent, yes. The crucial difference being that I find one a compelling character who's development has been one of the most interesting in the entire series, while the other is a bit of a wet blanket.

I just meant that Sansa's chapters (like Davos') are more about the happenings around them more than their internal thoughts.

comparing a girl still maturing and learning her place in the world with a fully grown man as far as character development goes isn't exactly fair either.

Archived