Davos is one of my favorites because...

OrangeStallion

I don't think right and wrong are all that blurred. and they're only difficult decisions when it's either doing the right thing or doing the wrong thing but therefor save yourself/someone you love... see jaime pushing bran out the window... Ned didn't have to make choices like that, as far as I remember. he only had to chose between doing the right thing and he considered the honorable thing more important. because look at how he treats people... when jaime saves the city by killing the mad king Ned makes him out the be the bad guy because he "broke his oath" which means Ned think that Jaime should have just let the king do whatever he wanted simply because he made a promise that he, according to ned, shouldn't break under any circemstances. that's pretty black and white if you ask me, same goes for the deserter from the night's watch that he doesn't even listen too because he broke his oath so he deserves to die... (although this one I could forgive him for because I don't think he really had a choice in killing him since the law is so final on deserters)

davos on the other hand, breaks his oath to save edric storm because it's the right thing to do. I don't see Ned doing that since he condamned Jaime so hard for doing the right thing... Ned is too stubborn and seems to feel like his way is the superior way and judges everyone with his standards while they are far from perfect.

Yes, but Ned Stark was the one that saved Daenerys, so to speak. That wasn't his duty. That was justice, that he didn't allow Robert to murder a child.

Wet blanket and Sansa belong in that sentence. Davos doesn't! ;)

If you say so.

I just meant that Sansa's chapters (like Davos') are more about the happenings around them more than their internal thoughts.

comparing a girl still maturing and learning her place in the world with a fully grown man as far as character development goes isn't exactly fair either.

Well, it's fair game because I'm not the one who brought her up as a point of comparison. Her character development is why she's one of my favourites.

Yes, but Ned Stark was the one that saved Daenerys, so to speak. That wasn't his duty. That was justice, that he didn't allow Robert to murder a child.

Ned didn't save Daenerys, that was Jorah... he didn't want a part in the murdering of a child (even though he did agree to kill Theon if his father rebelled, which makes him a hypocrite in my book), and that's admireable, yes but he didn't stop it (though I do believe he would have stopped it if he could have) i'm not saying Ned is a bad guy, he's just not as morally right as he tends to think he is.

Davo's a mans man. I love his character and hope he has a happy ending!

TV Davos is also amazing! Him learning to read with Shireen is just adorable. :laugh:

HAHA

Now i'm just imagining the actual Ser Gregor using the word adorable.

Walks in dragging a body

"Come on guys, her head is crushed in now, but believe me, she was adorable before"

HAHA

Now i'm just imagining the actual Ser Gregor using the word adorable.

Walks in dragging a body

"Come on guys, her head is crushed in now, but believe me, she was adorable before"

Given what he usually does to his female victims, that just sounds wrong is so many levels...

-Stannis: What is the life of one bastard boy against a kingdom?

-Davos: Everything.

Enough said...

This. If there ever was a good, decent human being in the Series, it is Davos.

Feck off with all of that entitled nobility, their "blood right" and their ugly throne, Davos for PRESIDENT ;)

Or maybe for chancellor and Stannis as constitutional monarch ;).

ETA: in a specific way, he reminds me a lot of Dunk the lunk ;)

Ned didn't save Daenerys, that was Jorah... he didn't want a part in the murdering of a child (even though he did agree to kill Theon if his father rebelled, which makes him a hypocrite in my book), and that's admireable, yes but he didn't stop it (though I do believe he would have stopped it if he could have) i'm not saying Ned is a bad guy, he's just not as morally right as he tends to think he is.

Theon - true, but would he? In an era where leverage was crucial, even the most honorable people have to play by the rules of the game. Also if the threat of killing Theon prevented his father from rebelling, that alone prevents hundreds or thousands of innocent lives from being lost. Ned also raised Theon as one of his own, he didn't lock him in the dungeons with a knife to his throat, or let his personal guard beat him.

By Westerosi standards he is in a league of his own. According to our world, he is grey. Therein lies the difference. Obviously Ned isn't perfect, but most in Westeros see him as the most trustworthy and honorable of them all.

Theon - true, but would he? In an era where leverage was crucial, even the most honorable people have to play by the rules of the game. Also if the threat of killing Theon prevented his father from rebelling, that alone prevents hundreds or thousands of innocent lives from being lost. Ned also raised Theon as one of his own, he didn't lock him in the dungeons with a knife to his throat, or let his personal guard beat him.

By Westerosi standards he is in a league of his own. According to our world, he is grey. Therein lies the difference. Obviously Ned isn't perfect, but most in Westeros see him as the most trustworthy and honorable of them all.

yes he would, Ned keeps to his word. and if he didn't he would have made an empthy threat which would mean that everybody knew Ned wouldn't go through with his threats so they could all walk all over him. and yes, the threat of killing theon could provent another rebellion, which is why I don't resent him for going along with this plan. I do however find him a hypocrite when he says he doesn't want to take part in the murder of a child (daenerys), which was also with the cause of saving millions of lives, while he did go along with it when it came to Theon. if he's got such a high standard on not killing kids that standard should be extended to Theon.

oh I'm not argueing with this. Ned is defenitly one of the best people in westeros. and I do not want him to be perfect (he wouldn't be realistic or interesting if he were) all i'm saying is that I think Davos is the most moral character in the series because he does what is right and wrong, while Ned does what is "honorable"(no matter if the honorable thing is not the right thing)

Do we know that Ned made the threat? It could have simply been Robert or Jon Arryn who threatened to kill Theon if Balon rebelled again. If Ned had received an order from King's Landing to kill Theon before the boy had come of age, I doubt that Ned would have gone through with it.

Do we know that Ned made the threat? It could have simply been Robert or Jon Arryn who threatened to kill Theon if Balon rebelled again. If Ned had received an order from King's Landing to kill Theon before the boy had come of age, I doubt that Ned would have gone through with it.

if Ned didn't plan to go through with it he wouldn't have taken Theon in, and he wouldn't have purposefully stayed cold to theon because he knew he might have to put him to death one day. if there's one thing we know about Ned it's that he's a men of his word, and he gave his word on the matter. if Balon rebelled he would have killed Theon.

if Ned didn't plan to go through with it he wouldn't have taken Theon in, and he wouldn't have purposefully stayed cold to theon because he knew he might have to put him to death one day. if there's one thing we know about Ned it's that he's a men of his word, and he gave his word on the matter. if Balon rebelled he would have killed Theon.

Ned made it perfectly clear how he felt about the murder of Rhaenys and Aegon, and much later when they tried to do the same to Dany. It is far more likely that he took Theon in because he knew others might follow through with an order to kill the boy, but he was never going to do it. Nothing has ever said that Theon was treated coldly, he was hostage yet he was treated as if he were Ned's ward fostering in Winterfell.

Ned made it perfectly clear how he felt about the murder of Rhaenys and Aegon, and much later when they tried to do the same to Dany. It is far more likely that he took Theon in because he knew others might follow through with an order to kill the boy, but he was never going to do it. Nothing has ever said that Theon was treated coldly, he was hostage yet he was treated as if he were Ned's ward fostering in Winterfell.

about Ned killing theon : http://asoiafuniversity.tumblr.com/post/23555400271/when-people-say-ned-would-never-have-executed-theon-had

theon disagrees "As a boy, he had lived in fear of Stark’s stern face and great dark sword. His wife was, if anything, even more distant and suspicious."

there's also Ned telling cat to keep a closer eye on Theon because if there is war they might have need of his father's ships.

Theon was not treated as a ward "ward in name, hostage in truth" I really don't get where people even get this from. but I am sorry, I am not gonna have this discussion usually I enjoy discussing things with people but I have had this one a million times, am having it right now in another thread and people are just too stubborn because they want to find more reasons to hate Theon, so I am not up for this right now.

Archived