Point as to why Arya would even want to be a Faceless man?

Wavey Sauce

Or anyone for that nature.

When she is first speaking with Jaquen about it, he tells her that if she learns, she can cross all the other names off her list, like Cersei, Payne, etc. So she would be learning to become a killer so she can get revenge on all those who have done wrong by her.

But then when becoming one you cant go kill who you want, just who you are hired to kill, so what is the point? Also the method in which you forget everything about yourself and forget past life 100%. Yes with needle and in TWOW we see what happens when she sees a familiar face.

But the basis of it in general where you have to pretty much forget everything about who you really were and the rule of only killing what is contracted of you to do, what is the point of going through all that to become one? If you cant just go and kill those who you want revenge on, the ones that are driving you to wanting to becoming a silent killer in the first place?

wow weird, I changed my password and for some reason it put me back to only 1 post? Maybe my username was wrong cause I am around 100 posts

Just stating so there doesnt have to be any "welcome to the forum"

is odd though

She becomes invincible in a way, I guess. She can change her face. She could go to Kings Landing, and stand next to Cersei if she wanted and Cersei would have no idea was standing next to her.

She's going to go back to Westeros with revenge in mind eventually I'd imagine. If she can be in Westeros and conceal her true identity, survival would be easy. She could find her family, ask questions - and she'd be able to defend herself against danger.

I doubt the show would write Arya as a character who'd forget every aspect of her past life. I don't think that's how her arc will eventuate in the books either.

She becomes invincible in a way, I guess. She can change her face. She could go to Kings Landing, and stand next to Cersei if she wanted and Cersei would have no idea was standing next to her.

She's going to go back to Westeros with revenge in mind eventually I'd imagine. If she can be in Westeros and conceal her true identity, survival would be easy. She could find her family, ask questions - and she'd be able to defend herself against danger.

I doubt the show would write Arya as a character who'd forget every aspect of her past life. I don't think that's how her arc will eventuate in the books either.

But if she forgets who she is in total would she? Yes it does seem like she will become the "stranger" in the whole "7" stark family theory. But even when knowing that way she is learning that you cannot just go kill whomever you like, which is why I dont get why Jaquen told her that at first, when their rules forbid that, and due to the training that there is a real high % chance that you do forget past life for the most part (Or not care enough to think back)

Arya thinks it will give her the skills she needs to avenge her family, and so on.

But let's not kid ourselves - a lot of it is because Arya thinks she has nothing left to live for. Mother, father, brothers all dead; sister who's hardly even family any more; half-brother is on the Wall so he's fated to stay there until he's dead too. She has no friends and is certain if she ever did they would leave her too. Even Winterfell is destroyed - sacked, burned, and occupied by the enemy.

So why not give up being Arya Stark of Winterfell and become a faceless killer ? She has nobody & nothing. Just a hole where her heart should be. :frown5:

There is nothing guaranteeing that Arya will finish her training. She may just learn what she wants and quit or the House of black and white may kick her out. If either happens, she will now have enough skills to get her kill list completed. Maybe she is the volonqar??(holy spelling)... that kills Cersei, the younger more beautiful Queen...

OP, I think you are kind of summing up the point of her current situation/arc. She is blinded by her quest for revenge and is sinking in with a group she is rightfully reluctant to fully commit to. Will she lose her identity in order to fulfill her training? But then, if she loses her identity, will she even want revenge?

I think it's going to be something like her desire to kill leads her both to and from the Faceless Men, though what they do with drop outs is the real question. The point is, Arya is feeling pretty lost. That's how you end up with a group of faceless magic assassins.

where is it said that a FM cant kill whomever they chose? Does it say they are not allowed? Just because you are a contract assassin that doesn't mean you cant kill people without it- Jaqen has no FM contract to kill the guys at Harrenhal- more of a personal contract with Arya- She saved him from death- perhaps she can save someone from death in order to kill another she wants-

also- the FM do not kill people they know- but is that because they cant? or because they chose not to?

where is it said that a FM cant kill whomever they chose? Does it say they are not allowed? Just because you are a contract assassin that doesn't mean you cant kill people without it- Jaqen has no FM contract to kill the guys at Harrenhal- more of a personal contract with Arya- She saved him from death- perhaps she can save someone from death in order to kill another she wants-

also- the FM do not kill people they know- but is that because they cant? or because they chose not to?

I think it's just a part of her training - she must give up who she was to become one of them. Who knows though. Maybe she'll have a Batman-type story arc where the FM are like the League of Shadows that she must eventually break from to pursue her own path.

She has nothing left. The Starks have been met with utter desolation and there really is nowhere for her to go, as shown when she is wandering all around westeros with Sandor / the brotherhood...

Arya's a broken and bitter young girl, she is fuelled by rage and a thirst for vengeance at this point and has absolutely no empathy for anyone anymore. Which she probably feels makes her a perfect fit for the Faceless Men, when in fact it's quite the opposite - they need her to be completely emotionally detached and give up all of her past life and identity.

At the moment she thinks she has nothing left and has nowhere else to go. She has a list and the FM are teaching her the skills to be able to kill all those people. That's not how it works though because as we know, the FM don't let you kill the person if you know them but in the Mercy chapter, Arya broke that rule. Ultimately, I don't think Arya will want to complete her training - I can't see her letting go of her identity. But she'll have learnt lots of useful skills and will really be able to get to work on that list once she gets back to Westeros.

OP, I think you are kind of summing up the point of her current situation/arc. She is blinded by her quest for revenge and is sinking in with a group she is rightfully reluctant to fully commit to. Will she lose her identity in order to fulfill her training? But then, if she loses her identity, will she even want revenge?

I think it's going to be something like her desire to kill leads her both to and from the Faceless Men, though what they do with drop outs is the real question. The point is, Arya is feeling pretty lost. That's how you end up with a group of faceless magic assassins.

Fair enough, more so what her initial goal is with her wanting to be able to kill all those she hates, once hearing what the "rules" are or how exactly the FM guild does things, fair to assume she wouldnt want to take that bargain

There is nothing guaranteeing that Arya will finish her training. She may just learn what she wants and quit or the House of black and white may kick her out. If either happens, she will now have enough skills to get her kill list completed. Maybe she is the volonqar??(holy spelling)... that kills Cersei, the younger more beautiful Queen...

Still pretty sure the little brother in high val is going to be Jaime, but by little brother I think itd be a big stretch for Arya to use a face of either Tyrion or Jaime to kill Cersei but that would be a cool theory guess

At the moment she thinks she has nothing left and has nowhere else to go. She has a list and the FM are teaching her the skills to be able to kill all those people. That's not how it works though because as we know, the FM don't let you kill the person if you know them but in the Mercy chapter, Arya broke that rule. Ultimately, I don't think Arya will want to complete her training - I can't see her letting go of her identity. But she'll have learnt lots of useful skills and will really be able to get to work on that list once she gets back to Westeros.

She broke the rules from the start by holding onto needle, if not for that face she knew who knows if given a little more time she would have forgotten everything by then. Because even with the play she was doing she should have easily been reminded of Ned, Cat, Robb, Joffrey etc, and she remembers or doesnt even think of 1 of them. That is pretty crazy when you think about it, and she hasent even been there super super long either.

But what find weird is Jaquen who told her she can go do the training and take names off the list herself etc, obviously he knows the training and what she would have to do so thats where a lot of the confusing type shit can come into play question wise

Like most recruiters, Jaqen lied.

Old Army joke: How can you tell when a recruiter's lying? Simple, his lips are moving.

Arya's arc in Braavos is giving us background info on Varys. That's my theory anyway. Her training also gives House Stark a potential spy/assassin if they ever need one, in addition to the leader (Jon, if he lives), the diplomat/gamer (Sansa), the greenseer/wizard (Bran) and the wild scary one (Rickon). If the pack can come back together they'll be unstoppable.

But if she forgets who she is in total would she? Yes it does seem like she will become the "stranger" in the whole "7" stark family theory. But even when knowing that way she is learning that you cannot just go kill whomever you like, which is why I dont get why Jaquen told her that at first, when their rules forbid that, and due to the training that there is a real high % chance that you do forget past life for the most part (Or not care enough to think back)

Sorry to go off topic, but what's the "7 Stark family" theory?

Archived