249 replies to this topic

#1 farseer2

farseer2

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

What are you reading and what are your thoughts on it?

#2 farseer2

farseer2

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Answering my own question:

Finished The Red Wolf Conspiracy, by Robert V.S. Redick. Excellent start to an epic fantasy tetralogy (The Chathrand Voyage). The characters are appealing, the worldbuilding is complex and interesting, in a way that affects the plot. It's a fat fantasy (560 pages), but it does not get boring. I'm now starting the second book The Ruling Sea. Mgambino mentioned in the July 2014 thread that the series fell apart in the last two books. I'm hoping that when I get there I'll find that it works for me. We'll see.

I'm also reading the stories in The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, volume 1, edited by Robert Silverberg, a selection of some of the best and most famous science fiction stories published before 1964. Very enjoyable, and it's a must for any reader interested in classic science fiction or the history of the genre. Some readers will already be familiar with many of these stories, though, as they have often been included in anthologies.

Edited by farseer2, 31 July 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#3 Toblakai

Toblakai

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

I am reading Malazan, the same as July, June, May and April.

I am on Orb, Sceptre, Throne now. And then I can move on to Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God.

Edited by Toblakai, 31 July 2014 - 10:50 PM.

#4 Nicomo Cosca

Nicomo Cosca

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

Continuing with The Dragon's Path at the moment. It's enjoyable but kind of slow. I love the worldbuilding and the different races of humanity. The characters are good, but I'm incredibly bias towards Marcus and Dawson. The other ones are great aswell, but I just get more excited once one of those two appear

#5 SilentRoamer

SilentRoamer

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

Started Fall of Hyperion a few days ago. Really enjoying the switch in PoV and fleshing out some of the back story. Really enjoying this series.

After this I am going to take a break from SF and finish Adrian Tchaikovskys Heirs of the Blade and then probably next in the series (Air War?)

Then back onto SF and either Endymion or Dune.

#6 Guinevere Seaworth

Guinevere Seaworth

Sailor of the Smoking Seas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

I'm a quarter of the way through His Conquering Sword, the third book in Kate Elliott's Jaran series. I really like it so far and the only quibble I have is the pace. It can be really slow with little plot moving.
I have no idea what read after the Jaran series is done but it will not be science fiction.

#7 SilentRoamer

SilentRoamer

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

I tried Kate Elliots Crossroads series but gave up halfway through the 2nd book. The world and characters all seemed very good but the pacing killed the story for me. I don't mind slow pacing but if the pacing is slow everything else needs to be that much better so I can quickly build a world around a slow moving plot.

#8 mgambino

mgambino

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

I tried Kate Elliots Crossroads series but gave up halfway through the 2nd book. The world and characters all seemed very good but the pacing killed the story for me. I don't mind slow pacing but if the pacing is slow everything else needs to be that much better so I can quickly build a world around a slow moving plot.

That was next on my TBR pile too. I love Kate Elliot, so I'll probably still give a chance later. I'm in the midst of reading the Edge Chronicles series to my son (he loves them, he'll let me read almost 100 pages before he starts to get antsy). On my own, I'm about start The Lensman Series.

#9 mgambino

mgambino

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

Answering my own question:

Finished The Red Wolf Conspiracy, by Robert V.S. Redick. Excellent start to an epic fantasy tetralogy (The Chathrand Voyage). The characters are appealing, the worldbuilding is complex and interesting, in a way that affects the plot. It's a fat fantasy (560 pages), but it does not get boring. I'm now starting the second book The Ruling Sea. Mgambino mentioned in the July 2014 thread that the series fell apart in the last two books. I'm hoping that when I get there I'll find that it works for me. We'll see.

One quick note... the series falls apart in the 3rd and 4th book, but the actually ending itself is wonderful.

#10 SkynJay

SkynJay

Now, what did we learn?

• Members
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

Finished Django Wexler's 'The Shadow Throne' last night, enjoying it greatly. It was a second book but didn't feel like a middle book; had a long game story in the background but focused on a self contained plotline.

Now reading 'The Widow's House' by Daniel Abraham.

#11 Ferrum Aeternum

Ferrum Aeternum

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

Started Fall of Hyperion a few days ago. Really enjoying the switch in PoV and fleshing out some of the back story. Really enjoying this series.

I'm over halfway through Hyperion and loving it.  First book I've read in several months that I can't wait to pick back up whenever I have a spare moment.

I intend to read Fall of Hyperion next and then keep the sci-fi groove going with Leviathan Wakes.

#12 The Great Unwashed

The Great Unwashed

SJP - dropping bombs of equality...and love

• Members
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

I started Wool and am loving it so far.

#13 Garett Hornwood

Garett Hornwood

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

I finished Paladin of Souls by Bujold early today and just like the first Chalion book, it was excellent.

Right after finishing the above, I started reading Infinity Gauntlet by Jim Starlin which is basically the concept that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is building up to in "Phase 3".

Year-long readings update:

The Bible: As of the end of July I am through Romans.

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Finished Measure for Measure yesterday and it was an interesting play, obviously not a comedy nor tragedy.  I guess one could call it a morality play of sorts, I loved the overall concept and execution of the Duke-turned-Friar observing Vienna to see how things are run in his absence as well as the Angelo absolute power corruption arc.  Today I'm starting Othello.

#14 mashiara

mashiara

Sleep is for the weak

• Members
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

Reading Songs of Love and Death: All original tales of Star-Crossed Lovers, an anthology edited by GRRM and Gardner R. Dozois

#15 Triskan

Triskan

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • 29,698 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

I'm over halfway through Hyperion and loving it.  First book I've read in several months that I can't wait to pick back up whenever I have a spare moment.

I intend to read Fall of Hyperion next and then keep the sci-fi groove going with Leviathan Wakes.

I'm in the home stretch on Fall of Hyperion, and I don't want to spoil anything here.  I'll just reiterate how much I enjoyed Hyperion. PM me when you're done if you are dying to discuss with some quasi-person on the internet. 

Not entirely settled on what I'm going to read after this as far as fiction.  Almost picked up GGK's Under Heaven the other day but ended up forgetting about it at the book store.  I've had Mervyn Peake on the list for a long time too. 

During my days (I tend to read non-fiction during lunch breaks and fiction evenings and weekends), I've been reading The Cancer Chronicles which is an astonishingly good book.  I'm about 110 pages into a 200 page book and feel like I will soon know everything to know there is about cancer.  I realize that is an utterly absurd statement, but it's a testament to the book. 

#16 SilentRoamer

SilentRoamer

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:44 AM

Leviathan Wakes is on my hit list so let me know how it goes.

Fall picks up right where Hyperion leaves off in both the story and the quality of writing.

#17 David Selig

David Selig

Council Member

• Members
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:01 AM

I finished the second Kate Daniels book by Ilona Andrews yesterday, so far it's easily the best "typical" urban fantasy series I've read. Great stuff. I hope the rest of the series remains just as good.

Now I am reading Blindsight by Peter Watts, I was in the mood for some well written hard SF, so far it's been really good.

#18 Nearly Headless Ned

Nearly Headless Ned

Council Member

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:56 AM

Hexwood- Dianna Wyne Jones.

Strange and twisty novel. Rather enjoyed it.

#19 SilentRoamer

SilentRoamer

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

I finished Paladin of Souls by Bujold early today and just like the first Chalion book, it was excellent.

I read Chalion about a decade ago in my teens and it left a lasting impression on me as a very original and creative book. I remember at the time reading a lot of "heroic" fantasy and this novel really disabused some of my beliefs in what constitued a great main character. 

Think I will add Paladin of Souls to my TBR pile.

#20 Er Rn

Er Rn

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

I'm continuing on with the Long Price Quartet series, starting A Betrayal in Winter today.

Edited by Er Rn, 02 August 2014 - 08:18 AM.