Mercy?

quirpele

After reading the Mercy chapter, I couldn't figure out who she's playing in the play.

The "tonight I will be raped and murdered" from the very start of the chapter suggests to me this is happening in the play, and the dwarf playing Tyrion says that he will rape her... But in terms of the actual story, who does Tyrion rape and kill? I've seen some say Sansa, but Tyrion doesn't kill her. So unless a ) Sansa has been murdered in between her last chapter and this one, or b ) Mercy is playing a couple of different characters, my only guess would be that she's playing Shae and they've added the rape scene to her death in much the same way that HBO enjoys tacking on unnecessary rape scenes.

Anyone able to help me out?

Game Of Thrones, on 01 Aug 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:

Three Theories

1) Sansa.

2) Shae

3) Random serving girl

Personally I'm with 3). Officially, Sansa and Tyrion conspired to kill Joff so Sansa should be portrayed as Lady Macbeth come again, and Shae was supposed to be secret to hide the fact that Tywin was a whoremonger.

Another vote for 3. Do we have any reason to believe they knew about Shae? Sansa's roll in the play would be pritty large, and it's highly unlikely that they would let a new recruit play an important character. Probably some random servant that Tyrion was supposed to rape in his spare time.

Another vote for 3. Do we have any reason to believe they knew about Shae? Sansa's roll in the play would be pritty large, and it's highly unlikely that they would let a new recruit play an important character. Probably some random servant that Tyrion was supposed to rape in his spare time.

Sansa's role doesn't have to be large - she did basically nothing while married to Tyrion. Importance of a character doesn't equal large speaking roles.

Sansa's role doesn't have to be large - she did basically nothing while married to Tyrion. Importance of a character doesn't equal large speaking roles.

Officially, Sansa conspired with the Imp to kill Joff because she was jealous about Marg, then disappeared. So yes, her role would have to be large.

After reading the Mercy chapter, I couldn't figure out who she's playing in the play.

The "tonight I will be raped and murdered" from the very start of the chapter suggests to me this is happening in the play, and the dwarf playing Tyrion says that he will rape her... But in terms of the actual story, who does Tyrion rape and kill? I've seen some say Sansa, but Tyrion doesn't kill her. So unless a ) Sansa has been murdered in between her last chapter and this one, or b ) Mercy is playing a couple of different characters, my only guess would be that she's playing Shae and they've added the rape scene to her death in much the same way that HBO enjoys tacking on unnecessary rape scenes.

Anyone able to help me out?

I haven't read the chapter in a while but I thought she only got raped in the play not killed?

Also Tyrion doesn't rape Sansa either.

My guess is she is playing Sansa the rape is just being used to make him more villainous.

I haven't read the chapter in a while but I thought she only got raped in the play not killed?

Also Tyrion doesn't rape Sansa either.

My guess is she is playing Sansa the rape is just being used to make him more villainous.

Yea agreed.It makes a far better story to turn Tyrion into a monster who rapes a poor innocent girl and then kills his King and Father.

I think the OP is forgetting the big no no on the R word.

Is this word forbidden in any case? If so, it sounds like there's a very large part of GRRM's work we could not talk about.

I did not even realize that the play in this chapter was about Tyrion. Tanks for enlightening me!

It's a ficticious character, but probably based on Sansa. Which is a nice bit of irony. Arya playing Sansa. She probably doesn't realize it, though. Anyway, her character can't be based on Shae. Her presence in Tywin's chamber wasn't exactly widely advertised and a person she isn't important enough to be known to the general public.

If I had to guess I would say it is Sansa. The last chapter in ADWD Arya is given a face that is as pretty as her own which might be a hint at her playing Sansa. On the other hand it would seem if she was Sansa she would have more lines in the play, so it might be Shae.

I don't think she would be just someone random. Why show some random peasant girl get raped, an act that was probably a normal occurrence wouldn't portray Tyrion/Tywin in as bad as light as doing said act to a Lady.

If I had to guess I would say it is Sansa. The last chapter in ADWD Arya is given a face that is as pretty as her own which might be a hint at her playing Sansa. On the other hand it would seem if she was Sansa she would have more lines in the play, so it might be Shae.

Except, as pointed out, no one outside the Red Keep knows about Shae because what happens in Lord Tywin's bed stays in Lord Tywin's bed.

Is that true? We don't know who the Bloodiest Quill is, and the play in this case seems to be propaganda to get people to go against the Lannisters. If the play was used for that reason then it would make sense that one of the major players for the throne (Varys or LF) might have had a hand in the play. I would have to think either of those 2 would have known what had happen in the keep.

Well, we know the play was written by a Braavosi playwright named Phario Forel (could he be a relation of Syrio?) and that he has a reputation of "having the bloodiest quill of all of Braavos". I do not think the play is an anti-Lannister propaganda, just a play inspired by what is said about Tyrion and how he killed his father, meant to amuse people. And I don't think Varys or Littlefinger would waste their time by setting up a play in Braavos in order to make Braavosi think something bad of the Lannisters - after all, it's just a play, not reality, and I think the Braavosi realize that there is always a portion of the playwright's imagination in the play. If they wanted to compromise the Lannisters in Braavos, they would do something far more efficient than a mere theatre piece based on Tyrion's life.

Archived