Wes Anderson's eight feature films ranked from best to worst:

1 The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

2 Bottle Rocket (1996)

3 Rushmore (1998)

4 Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

5 The Darjeeling Limited (2007)

6 The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

7 Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

8 The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)

#2 NestorMakhnosLovechild

NestorMakhnosLovechild

You Should Watch What You Say To People

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Is the Paul W.S. Anderson thread next? 

Resident Evil: Retribution vs. Death Race 2. Which is better? 

#3 Inigima

Inigima

I want your skulls

• Members
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

I am aware, in my heart of hearts, that Wes Anderson only really knows how to make one film. Happily, it turns out I quite like that film.

#4 Is There Life on Mars?

Is There Life on Mars?

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

I am aware, in my heart of hearts, that Wes Anderson only really knows how to make one film. Happily, it turns out I quite like that film.

That's probably true. My only insight is that there is a qualitative difference between the three movies co-written by Owen Wilson (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore & Tenenbaums) and everything that came after.

#5 Inigima

Inigima

I want your skulls

• Members
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

I didn't know that and it explains a lot.

#6 Baltan

Baltan

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

Mmh I haven't seen yet Bottle Rocket, The Darjeeling Limited or Fantastic Mr. Fox. They're in my "to watch" list.

I get the general critic that all his movies have the same style, but I just love it.

That weird way to develop the characters through the story is just adorable: even the most disgusting characters have that surreal aura that makes them likeable.

That's probably true. My only insight is that there is a qualitative difference between the three movies co-written by Owen Wilson (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore & Tenenbaums) and everything that came after.

Really? I didn't know that, but I do not agree about the qualitative difference.

Disclaimer, I have no knowledge at all about films, technically speaking. So my opinion is based on my personal judgement.

I think we can agree that the Royal Tenenbaums is one of his best films, but I can't like Rushmore as much as the others (I haven't seen Bottle Rocket) :dunno: . I don't know, from all I have seen, I'd put Rushmore last.

Returning to his films, has anyone noticed that thing with the animals? In the Steve Zissou is the 3 legged dog, in the Budapest Hotel the cat through the window, in the Tenenbaums the kids dog... I can't remember in the other ones, but seems that something happens to the pets in his movies.

#7 Inigima

Inigima

I want your skulls

• Members
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

I actually really disliked Fantastic Mr Fox. I'd agree that Tenenbaums is his best, though.

I still haven't seen Moonrise Kingdom (despite having a copy on the shelf) or Grand Budapest Hotel. The latter looks awesome but after all this time I haven't watched Moonrise and it is a bit hard to justify picking up Budapest as a result.

EDIT: ^^^ I don't like Rushmore as much as most people either. I find it depressing.

Edited by Inigima, 01 August 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#8 Theda Baratheon

Theda Baratheon

alien witch from outer space

• Members
  • 10,208 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Out of the ones I've seen 

Moonrise Kingdom 

Grand Budapest Hotel 

Rushmore 

Fantastic Mr Fox 

#9 Jaime L

Jaime L

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish

• Members
  • 14,036 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

I think the biggest difference is that without Owen Wilson's presence to help ground the films, they've too often become a bit too twee and cloying. Wes Anderson's signature style, once the icing on top, has become the cake itself.

I still greatly enjoy his films - just don't think they pack the impact they can. Though I think Grand Budapest Hotel was a big step in the right direction. Definitely felt more substantial (probably the pre-WW2 Europe setting).

Edited by Jaime L, 01 August 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#10 Mike

Mike

Council Member

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Moonrise Kingdom
Bottle Rocket
The Darjeeling Limited

Never saw Fantastic Mr. Fox and have yet to see The Grand Budapest Hotel.

#11 Theda Baratheon

Theda Baratheon

• Members
  • 10,208 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

I think the biggest difference is that without Owen Wilson's presence to help ground the films, they've too often become a bit too twee and cloying. Wes Anderson's signature style, once the icing on top, has become the cake itself.

I still greatly enjoy his films - just don't think they pack the impact they can. Though I think Grand Budapest Hotel was a big step in the right direction. Definitely felt more substantial (probably the pre-WW2 Europe setting).

I know Moonrise Kingdom is so twee but I can't help but completely adore it. 

I thought Grand Budapest was absolutely hilarious and wholly enjoyable. 

#12 polishgenius

polishgenius

Social Justice Eater of the Rude

• Members
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

I thought The Life Aquatic was really good and Fantastic Mr. Fox was... well, fantastic. I wasn't particularly enamoured of Tenenbaums - I mean, it was okay, but it didn't entirely connect with me.

I've not seen anything else of his. But it seems to me that the best Wes Anderson film is I <3 Huckabees, which is odd because he didn't make it.

#13 Mexal

Mexal

Cards are only half the battle

• Members
  • 11,478 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

I know Moonrise Kingdom is so twee but I can't help but completely adore it. 

I thought Grand Budapest was absolutely hilarious and wholly enjoyable. 

My thoughts as well. Moonrise Kingdom just made me constantly smile and Grand Budapest was just so funny. His earlier movies though aren't really for me.

#14 Inigima

Inigima

I want your skulls

• Members
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

I've not seen anything else of his. But it seems to me that the best Wes Anderson film is I <3 Huckabees, which is odd because he didn't make it.

That movie absolutely baffles me. I found Mulholland Drive more accessible.

Edited by Inigima, 01 August 2014 - 06:10 PM.

#15 polishgenius

polishgenius

• Members
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

That movie absolutely baffles me. I found Mulholland Drive more accessible.

Go watch 3 Iron by Kim Ki-Duk and Holy Motors by Leos Carax. Then you'll find I <3 Huckabees rather sane and probably totally accessible.

#16 Mexal

Mexal

Cards are only half the battle

• Members
  • 11,478 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Go watch 3 Iron by Kim Ki-Duk and Holy Motors by Leos Carax. Then you'll find I <3 Huckabees rather sane and probably totally accessible.

Holy Motors was awesome. Love that movie.

#17 Theda Baratheon

Theda Baratheon

• Members
  • 10,208 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

My thoughts as well. Moonrise Kingdom just made me constantly smile and Grand Budapest was just so funny. His earlier movies though aren't really for me.

Yeah! Could not stop smiling throughout :D 

Holy Motors was awesome. Love that movie.

Keep walking past it in work and noticing it. Hmmm. 

#18 Baltan

Baltan

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

3 Iron is amazing. I have few dvds in my personal collection, this movie is one of them.

I haven't watched I heart Huckabees, nor Holy motors, but I think 3 Iron story is pretty solid, I wouldn't compare it to a Mullholand Drive kind of story, that requires a bit of the viewer's ability to solve the puzzle.

P.D: Slowly Wes Anderson's thread took another turn...

#19 polishgenius

polishgenius

• Members
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

I haven't watched I heart Huckabees, nor Holy motors, but I think 3 Iron story is pretty solid, I wouldn't compare it to a Mullholand Drive kind of story, that requires a bit of the viewer's ability to solve the puzzle.

I <3 Huckabees story is actually pretty straightforward, it's just really really weird. That's its only real similarity to 3 Iron - they do have some similar themes, but the approach couldn't possibly be more different.

I just think of 3 Iron as one of the films I'm least likely to recommend to someone just off the cuff, just because it's so unlike what's usually out there.

#20 Cold Crashing Waves

Cold Crashing Waves

Honor Found In Decay

• Banned
  • 946 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

Anderson is great. The Royal Tenenbaums is the best one for me. Hackman was so awesome as Royal.

Reply to this topic