Mal Malenkirk

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

Any francophone ever pointed out that 'I love' in french is written 'J'aime'

which is damn close to 'Jaime'? 

In fact, a francophone shown 'Jaime' on a piece of paper and not made aware he should pronunce it as an english first name will likely pronunce it identically to 'J'aime/I love'

On purpose by GRMM?  Think about all the things Jaime does for love.  Just a random thought.

Edited by Mal Malenkirk, 01 August 2014 - 03:17 PM.

#2 Super Daario

Super Daario

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

Any francophone ever pointed out that 'I love' in french is written 'J'aime'

which is damn close to 'Jaime'? 

In fact, a francophone shown 'Jaime' on a piece of paper and not made aware he should pronunce it as an english first name will likely pronunce it identically to 'J'aime/I love'

On purpose by GRMM?  Think about all the things Jaime does for love.  Just a random thought.

Nope. Sorry.

And as far as I can recall Jaime has never done anything for love. Lust, yes. Glory, sure. Duty, you bet. Honor...honor is a new one for him.

Perhaps somewhere within him, Jaime has the potential of loving Brienne. But he's not quite to that point yet.

#3 Mal Malenkirk

Mal Malenkirk

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

Oh come on.  First of all, 'Think about all the things Jaime does for love' is an obvious call back, so don't be too litteral.

That said, Jaime loved Cersei, for sure.  It was destructive but it was still love.  He loved Tyrion, which is far more selfless and one of his saving graces.  He undertook plenty of actions on the behalf of these two which culminated in his helping Tyrion escape.

In more general terms, he's a character that acts on his feelings, not his reasonings.  

Edited by Mal Malenkirk, 01 August 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#4 Gneisenau

Gneisenau

Got lost trying to find Greywater Watch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Jaime is the spanish spelling Jamie, I actually thought Jaime would be pronounced like haime, but it seems GRRM sticks to the engligh pronouciation.

Edited by Gneisenau, 01 August 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#5 Galaxian

Galaxian

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

That said, Jaime loved Cersei, for sure.  It was destructive but it was still love.  He loved Tyrion, which is far more selfless and one of his saving graces.  He undertook plenty of actions on the behalf of these two which culminated in his helping Tyrion escape.

But how much of his love for Tyrion comes from his guilt over what happened with Tysha?

#6 Mal Malenkirk

Mal Malenkirk

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

But how much of his love for Tyrion comes from his guilt over what happened with Tysha?

Tyrion was 13 during the Tysha incident.

Jaime had been protecting him since he was born, as the anecdote Oberyn told Tyrion shows (When Cersei showed them Tyrion as baby like one would show a freak and then pinched his penis making him cry, stopping only when Jaime made her).

Beside, he wouldn't feel so guilty at the Tysha incident if he didn't love his brother.

Edited by Mal Malenkirk, 01 August 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#7 willofDorne

willofDorne

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Jaime = douchebag = emiaJ

It's actually a palindrome. 

#8 Galaxian

Galaxian

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Tyrion was 13 during the Tysha incident.

Jaime had been protecting him since he was born, as the anecdote Oberyn told Tyrion shows (When Cersei showed them Tyrion as baby like one would show a freak and then pinched his penism making him cry, stopping only when Jaime made her).

Oberyn aslo mention, at least int he TV show, that Jaime was with them from the beginning, so he stopped after she made Tyrion cry, instead of prevention it altogether. And he was a part of the Tysha incident, even if he did't take things as far as his father did, Jaime did kept silent for several years.

#9 Poppa Bolton

Poppa Bolton

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

Nope. Sorry.

And as far as I can recall Jaime has never done anything for love. Lust, yes. Glory, sure. Duty, you bet. Honor...honor is a new one for him.

Perhaps somewhere within him, Jaime has the potential of loving Brienne. But he's not quite to that point yet.

Come on.  Jaime loved Cersei and Tyrion.  I didn't even know people debated this.

#10 Ingelheim

Ingelheim

I've never paid my debts.

• Members
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

Jaime is a Spanish name. A common one, actually.

#11 Ser Greg of House House

Ser Greg of House House

Also known as Ser Greg the Healer, Lord of Plainsboro Teaching H

• Members
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

It's also fairly common in portuguese. But I suppose it's meant as an older/different form of James, like other names like Rickard, Jon etc.

#12 Ingelheim

Ingelheim

I've never paid my debts.

• Members
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime

#13 BastardlyRock

BastardlyRock

Misanthropic Panthera leo

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Jaime loved Cersei.
Jaime loves Tyrion.

Tyrion loved Jaime.
Tyrion never loved Cersei.

Cersei never loved Tyrion.
Cersei never loved Jaime.

Pay special note to the tenses and you're all set ;) As for Jaime=J'aime I'm just not seeing it, sorry. It is neat though :)

#14 Dofs

Dofs

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:10 AM

Well, considering that his main motive for anything is love, the "things I do for love" and so on, It may very well be intentional.

#15 The Kinkslayer

The Kinkslayer

Hedgehog knight

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:36 AM

Jaime Mata Reyes (Jaime Kingslayer) is a possible, not weird in any way name in Spanish. Actually 1000s may have had that name during the centuries.

Edited by The Kinkslayer, 03 August 2014 - 02:41 AM.

#16 Lord_Takahashi

Lord_Takahashi

The Others Brother

• Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Could be a reason why Jaime is spelt Jaime, not Jamie.

#17 Woman of War

Woman of War

Those who ride the dragon will not dismount

• Members
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

I bet the names of Jaime and Cersei were developed by Martin right at the beginning of the books as the very first ones:

J'aime la Cerise.

Of course it's intentional. Guess what is Martin's favorite fruit.
And he is pronounced "Jamie" because at the end of the books his fate will be to manage the kitchens of Casterly Rock single-handedly.

Edited by Woman of War, 03 August 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#18 Red Tiger

Red Tiger

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Yeah it's probably not a coincidence that the only Lannister who is not hated by another Lannister is Jaime. Tyrion wanted him back, Tywin wanted him back and so did Cersei.

#19 Ellfoy

Ellfoy

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

As a francophone, I have noticed the Jaime = J'aime but never prononced it like that. But really I don't think that mean anything. Jamie is a common name and it seems that GRRM like to mispel to make typical westerosi words like "Ser" instead of "Sir".

Edit : Just saw the Spanish explanation...

Edited by Ellfoy, 03 August 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#20 ArabellaVidal

ArabellaVidal

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Could be a reason why Jaime is spelt Jaime, not Jamie.

Yeah, I've always wondered why Martin chose this spelling over a more anglophonic version. Good guess, I'd say. As for love, of course that's a major part of Jaime's personality. It may be twisted or immoral but it is love and that 'things I do for love' does sort of define him for most readers.