"Darksister" is it in the cave with Bloodraven? will a warged Hodor wield it?

Lord Damian

1) I think he may have likely did. He and Egg knew each other.

2) We have evidence that he may have chosen the Wall. He knew Egg might not forget that he once tried to keep Egg as a hostage against his father.

3)Except we haven't seen such requests being refused. BR would have asked to take Dark Sister with him, and it would be returned upon his death.

4)It would have been his only request, and it would have been a mercy for life at the Wall.

1) True, he might have supported Egg. We don't know. The fact that he and Egg knew each other shouldn't have been too big an influence, since Bloodraven would have known Aemon as well, and most likely Daerons daughter, and Aerions son. That they knew each other on its own isn't enough.

2) What evidence is there that he went willingly? I only know of a quote that shows that Bloodraven went from cells to Wall:

Egg emptied out the dungeons too, so I would not need to say my vows alone. My honor guard, he called them. One was no less a man than Brynden Rivers.

"Emptied out the dungeons" means that all criminals from the dungeons were send to the Wall. And accordng to Aemon, who was present at court, Bloodraven was one of those criminals.

3) & 4) This all depends on Egg and Bloodraven having a good relationship. The fact that Egg didn't simply free Bloodraven, but send him to the Wall, and the fact that prior to Aegon ascending, it seems that Bloodraven hadn't been in jail yet, but after Aegon becoming King, Bloodraven suddenly found himself in jail, both point to a bad relationship, at least in the end.

2) What evidence is there that he went willingly? I only know of a quote that shows that Bloodraven went from cells to Wall:

"Emptied out the dungeons" means that all criminals from the dungeons were send to the Wall. And accordng to Aemon, who was present at court, Bloodraven was one of those criminals.

3) & 4) This all depends on Egg and Bloodraven having a good relationship. The fact that Egg didn't simply free Bloodraven, but send him to the Wall, and the fact that prior to Aegon ascending, it seems that Bloodraven hadn't been in jail yet, but after Aegon becoming King, Bloodraven suddenly found himself in jail, both point to a bad relationship, at least in the end.

Aemon mentions that BR was among his "honor guard," I admit but there is chance he wasn't imprisoned. We will have to wait until WOIAF comes out to get the whole story.

You're forgetting Maekar had a bitter rivalry with BR, so it was not unlikely if Maekar who jailed BR.

You're forgetting Maekar had a bitter rivalry with BR, so it was not unlikely if Maekar who jailed BR.

There's really no indication in the Dunk & Egg books that they have a bitter rivalry. Maekar wanted to be appointed hand, and was upset that a bastard was given the job instead. In fact The Sworn Sword seems to confirm that he's mad at Aenys for choosing Bloodraven, not mad at Bloodraven:

Prince Maekar sulks at Summerhall, nursing his grievances against his royal brother.

That's not to say that they didn't have disagreements, Bloodraven does comment that Maekar is "prickly." Which is pretty much Dunk's impression of him as well:

Prince Maekar was a hard man, proud and full of scorn.

The quote I gave before about the Old High Septon. He clearly blamed BR for a traitor same as Daemon and Bittersteel. If Maekar was listening to his counsel, then there is even more than bitter rivalry.

The High Septon counseled my father never to put any trust in him, nor in any other bastards, great or small.

Born to betrayal, Dunk thought. Born of lust and weakness. Never to be trusted, great or small. Egg, he said, didnt you ever think that I might be a bastard?

With the chance that Dunk is a bastard, Maekar doesn't seem to mind taking a chance every now and then, ;)

Archived