Hardhome theories

lyannaisalive

No idea what happened there, but I did read a theory about the children of the forest testing a weapon there. The theory stated it was a precursor test for an attack on the arm of Dorne.

No idea what happened there, but I did read a theory about the children of the forest testing a weapon there. The theory stated it was a precursor test for an attack on the arm of Dorne.

IIRC that's the hammer of the water which they used on the Neck and the arm of Dorne but by the description of Hardhome it sounds more like what happened to Valyria which seemed more volcanic in it's nature. It could've been the Hammer of the Waters at all 4 events but it does sound like Valyria and Hardhome were different but it could just be because they were built on volcanoes or both and the volcanoes were activated by the Hammer of the Waters.

Interesting idea. I've never heard this one before but it seems too strict in following almost a testing like method to me. Possibly though, it could explain the failur to break the Neck apart.

I'm thinking a volcano erupted. Where else would the CotF get so much obsidian?

Good point although I would bet the COTF got their obsidian from Dragonstone. Also there don't appear to be any mountains on that area of the map (could possibly be underwater). Reading about Hardhome, it also mentions a few times the many caves piercing the cliffsides where the inhabitants screams could be heard which suggests to me that they were brought there (probably as food) and were in the process of being killed/ eaten.

I'm thinking a volcano erupted. Where else would the CotF get so much obsidian?

I agree with this, the description was compliant with that of an eruption and a volcanic area.

I thought of that place as it was something like the park of Yellowstone: the magmatic chamber is widespread underground, and eruptions happen with no 'visible' volcano.

There are some good points in those theories. I like the idea of Cannibal and Sheepstealer still being alive, but this was well after Aegon's landing that they were around. It would required dragons far older I think. I'll have to finish reading the other theories.

IIRC that's the hammer of the water which they used on the Neck and the arm of Dorne but by the description of Hardhome it sounds more like what happened to Valyria which seemed more volcanic in it's nature. It could've been the Hammer of the Waters at all 4 events but it does sound like Valyria and Hardhome were different but it could just be because they were built on volcanoes or both and the volcanoes were activated by the Hammer of the Waters.

LOL funny nickname

The timing on that is off by several thousand years. The Hammer of the waters first happened to Dorne when the first men came and the children tried to stop them, then again when the Andals invaded they did it to the Neck. Harhome was 600 years ago , 200 years before the doom.

Hardhome was almost a city an important distinction in the analysis.

In no particular order the three most likely things are IMO

A volcano erupting, which would make sense because geothermal springs are what made Winterfell a the preferable location to put a castle that had cold winters Wildlings/Free Folk would/should recognize the area as better to live in as well.

The other is that there was (and possibly still is) a dragon living in the area that went berserk for some reason. Why the dragon would be there is unknown.

The third is that hey were being attacked by Others and because they used fire as a weapon ended up burning everything including themselves to the ground. A city has much more kindling

Probably oversimplifying things but they are possible reasons

A stupid idea popped in my head since people are reffering to the caves. Didn't KM say something about the Faceless Men being founded in part because slaves worked in mines that had pyreworms or something in them? Where were these mines?

Apparently in Valyria, but the Dragonlords branching out across the Narrow Sea and meeting a similar fate is an interesting notion

The screaming caves make me suspect the CotF, though, but I don't trust those fuckers. It's telling that Hardhome was on its way to becoming the first actual town beyond the Wall and then that happened.

I think a dragon alone wouldn´t cause a conflagration of this size, but there might be a dragon conected in the starting of this fire.

I think we can rule out a normal volcanic eruption since there is no word of earthquakes connected to Hardhome, also the caves that are in the cliff above the natural harbour have been already there acording to the legend and the bay doesn´t seem to have changed much as it was probably the reason the city was build in the first place.

Now who would have build this city?

My favorite guesses would be traders from Braavos, which was still hidden at that time, and / or Ibben to have a storing place for the waletrane oil closer to the ports in the south.

The Targaryens settled on Dragonstone roughly a hundred years after the Hardhome fire.

What was the cause for the doom?

Either Valyrians attacked in search for escaped slaves or other slavers / pirates attacked the city and set it on fire, if it wasn´t an accident.

Think what would happen to a trading port with large stores of waletrane oil and lumber, probably some of them in the caves. It would be like the burning of the stairs at castle Black with the contents of the lardery under it, only several hundersd times larger like the great fire in Nantucket.

The month of ash raining on the haunted forest might have been caused by peat-fires or volcanic gases or something similar ( Erdbrand - Earthfire, Mount Chimera ).

The problem with it being a test run for the doom is that it took them 200 more years to pull off the doom. This may be crackpot but I'm thinking now that someone in the Valaryian freehold did have a foothold in Westros. They invaded North of the Wall.

The Valarians involved probably believed that the feudalist society too difficult/costly/time-consuming to bother with. NW members took little note other than the population had grown significantly and an increase in trade, but it actually was full of slaves who were mining... something.

Bravos is one of the closest cities to where Hardhome used to be and it is hard to imagine Bravos could go hidden so long when following the coast traders would likely see some signs of populace on your way to/from Lorath via ship

Archived