damphair is the best character

greggs92

When he read ariannes chapter at a con he gave the crowd a choice between her and damphair and when the crowd picked arianne he asked are u sure, damphairs chapter is really good(not an exact quote) so im really excited to read his next chapter

When he read ariannes chapter at a con he gave the crowd a choice between her and damphair and when the crowd picked arianne he asked are u sure, damphairs chapter is really good(not an exact quote) so im really excited to read his next chapter

And they still didn't want it! That's so hilarious....

Same here, they're delightfully bleak and slow-paced, having some of the best descriptions in the series.

They're a treasure trove of lore and backstory too.

Yep, this is what drew me to the character in the first place, and ultimately to a much deeper appreciation of the Greyjoys, the amazingly fleshed out and realized world GRRM penned, and aFFC as a whole.

I've been mulling this over and I've come up with a final verdict.

I hate Aeron Greyjoy. He's a terrible person. He's a well-written character. He has well-written chapters... but that's not exactly a standout. He's #15 in a list of 24 characters minus prologues and epilogues. GRRM is a good writer. He rarely lapses in world/culture building and getting into his characters' heads. His chapters might be a little bit better written because it seems from interviews that he had to work at them for a long time, numerous rewrites, reedits. But hardly standout. I love Feast and Dance, and I do appreciate that he can write characters well... but the Damphair is a just plain terrible, delusional, sexist, violent, person and I just don't enjoy reading him.

I guess liking him or not goes back to if you actually enjoy Feast. I loved the Greyjoy chapters. It's nice to see how the world in the eyes and actions of the POVs from the first 3 books affects the lives of the other families. To me it was great.

Not necessarily. I enjoyed Feast, and Victarion Greyjoy is one of my favourite characters. And yet I can't emphathise with Aeron.

Maybe in Winds I'll start enjoying his chapters, but mainly because he's probably the one who'll tell us about Euron's mischiefs.

I guess liking him or not goes back to if you actually enjoy Feast. I loved the Greyjoy chapters. It's nice to see how the world in the eyes and actions of the POVs from the first 3 books affects the lives of the other families. To me it was great.

Are you kidding? I love Feast. It has a lot of funny moments, a lot dramatic ones, lots of world buildings, and most importantly the triumphant return of my Lady. I just hate the Greyjoys and think the Arms of the Kraken should have stayed as a novella in a magazine somewhere.

Arms of the Kraken

Isn't that a pub on Pyke?

Damphair's been drinking too much seawater. Is there something magical about the seas round Iron Islands? If it's in their local ale, I'd fear for everyone.

How much of Tormund's member is left? He keeps running into bears that bite half of it off.

When it comes to a pissing contest off The Wall....? To be fair, if there is such a thing, you'd have to stage it half-way between Castle Black and Shadow Tower. Damphair would literally be frozen to the spot. Mel would attempt to warm him up - too much because he's no idea she's a pyromaniac. Tormund would chase after any passing bear, probably trip over what's left of his member, falling off The Wall in the process. Tyrion would be declared the winner as he's got the last record distance. Thus proving that size really doesn't matter when it comes to a pissing contest.

Whose piss can land further damphair or tormund? Tormund has the reach advantage

We should make an own thread for this! :laugh:

I like damphair, never understood all the hate his chapters got

Same here, they're delightfully bleak and slow-paced, having some of the best descriptions in the series.

They're a treasure trove of lore and backstory too.

I agree. I enjoyed all his chapters. They were a lot more interesting than say, Arianne's who I found a little boring.

I'm glad, I'm not the only one who thinks so. I couldn't stand the Dorne chapters in AFFC, but loved the Ironborn ones; I'd take an Aeron chapter over many others (Areo, Arys, Arianne, Dany, ADWD-Tyrion, ...), I enjoy them and I've nothing against this guy. The Kingsmoot chapter was excellent!

Still, I'd love to read a teenager!Aeron chapter, when he was basically the Ironborn version of Tyrion and "loved jokes, whine and beautiful women".

I'm still angry about that crowd, man, HE TOLD YOU IT WAS THE BETTER ONE! :bang: He teased unexpected, twisted stuff and I'm looking forward to his TWOW chapters; I hope he brings Euron down (and gets some revenge against his molester) and can wake some krakens... I trust GRRM, that it's a good chapter.

I'm still angry about that crowd, man, HE TOLD YOU IT WAS THE BETTER ONE! :bang: He teased unexpected, twisted stuff and I'm looking forward to his TWOW chapters; I hope he brings Euron down (and gets some revenge against his molester) and can wake some krakens... I trust GRRM, that it's a good chapter.

What an awful crowd. Full of godless men, no doubt... likely servants of the Storm God.

But in all seriousness, Aeron may be my favorite minor POVs in the series (can't decide between Aeron and Victarion). It came as quite a shock to me to find out that everyone else found Damphair boring.

What an awful crowd. Full of godless men, no doubt... likely servants of the Storm God.

But in all seriousness, Aeron may be my favorite minor POVs in the series (can't decide between Aeron and Victarion). It came as quite a shock to me to find out that everyone else found Damphair boring.

Perhaps instead question why they liked Arianne better than him instead of questioning their credibility? These weren't school children attending his reading. These were most likely dedicated fans like you and I, and if they wanted Arianne over Dampbrain that should probably tell you something...

Yep. Definitely.

For me, too :crying:... But don't worry, he has his (very few) fans, one of them is even show writer Bryan Cogman.

Btw, your user name... :uhoh: :stillsick: :leaving:

Perhaps instead question why they liked Arianne better than him instead of questioning their credibility? These weren't school children attending his reading. These were most likely dedicated fans like you and I, and if they wanted Arianne over Dampbrain that should probably tell you something...

Hey, it's okay, everybody his/her own. The majority has this taste, another minority that taste; the majority wins. Aeron wanted Vic on the Seastone Chair - The crowd wanted Euron. GRRM wanted to read Aeron - The crowd wanted Arianne. Losing is nothing new for the Damphair... Kingsmoot, sample chaptermoot, whatever...

The damphair chapters are excellent. I like the ironborn so much more than the dornish. The dornish chapters are tge worst in the series imho. During my many rereads I almost always skip the dornish.

:cheers:

Cool your horses, I wasn't questioning anyone's credibility. That response clearly wasn't serious. You should have figured that out when I called them "servants of the Storm God." I actually really like Arianne's chapters as well.

Cool your horses, I wasn't questioning anyone's credibility. That response clearly wasn't serious. You should have figured that out when I called them "servants of the Storm God." I actually really like Arianne's chapters as well.

It was mostly a response to the headbanging comment but yours was a response to that and it seemed fitting to include it.

It was mostly a response to the headbanging comment but yours was a response to that and it seemed fitting to include it.

Oh, my bad. Sorry about that.

Btw, your user name... :uhoh: :stillsick: :leaving:

Well I'm also a Euron fan. :cool4: ... really though, I love all of Balon's brothers... not sure if I can say the same for his children.

Archived