Stannis, Victarion or Kevan - Who is/was the most dutiful younger brother?

The Onion Sleight

TBH, Kevan has never got Tywin acting against him, like Victarion and Stannis did.

Kevan's nature seems to be a follower. If that's who he really is, then it's not a great deal if he decided to live under his brother's shadow. His other brothers, for what we've been told, did try -and fail- to make a name of themselves. Besides, it doesn't look like -conspiracies about Tywin trying to kill Geron aside- that the Lannister brothers have any animosity to each other, except a bit of natural resentment from Tygett.

Stannis is a different matter because he has always been very different from his brothers. He's private and deep, while Robert and Renly were open, charismatic and even, a bit shallow. Doing your duty because you know it is your duty isn't the same as being a follower. Do I see Stannis as such? Nope. He was loyal to Robert because he's the older brother and his King and Lord. Even though I know I will be reminded of Stannis "abandoning" Robert, whatever his reasons were, he still wanted to warn him. Other man would have keep the secret to himself and use it to his own benefit, which is what many people think Stannis was doing. And he still considers what Cersei did an insult to Robert, despite him not actually caring for him.

Now, neither Stannis nor Kevan had to endure the abuse the youngest Greyjoy brothers had to live with Euron. It is confirmed that Euron never tried his way with Victarion? Honestly, don't remember but he did something awful: seducing his wife. Putting aside Victarion's reaction to her, what Euron did was entirely wrong and Victarion had all the right in the world of wanting him dead. Not only was a personal humiliation but as Victarion said, if people had known about that, he would have been seen as weak and they would make fun of him. That would cost him all of his power and authority as a Captain and his dignity as a man among the Ironborn. Putting it objectively, it's not so different from what he did to Aeron when he abused him.

Nevertheless, Victarion was obedient towards Euron. Victarion was lucky Euron charged him with the task of bringing Dany back because otherwise, he wouldn't have found a way to get his payback and probably would be doing the same: being an obedient brother. Had he not being given the chance, he would still be a loyal man to him. So, for me, Victarion wins all the way.

He comes in last place imo. I have it as Kevan, Victarion, Stannis.

And like I said, doing your duty when it costs you nothing, or even benefits you, is easy.

The true test is doing your duty when it goes against your own wants and needs.

Stannis does this, he dutifully gives up Storm's end when Robert tells him to, he dutifully starves almost to death holding it during the Rebellion.

Vic also does this, he dutifully accepts that he isn't allowed to kill his brother for what he did, but instead must kill his wife, who he at least has some form of appreciation for.

Kevan ? He just leads Tywin's armies, earning a couchy keep and generally blessed lifestyle while doing so.

Kevan pushed his brother's daughter to strip nude in front of a city as a power play.

Tywin himself get sure his own son got a very humiliating trial in a crime he probably was very sure he didn't commit.

If Tywin was trying to get ridden of Tyrion in name of his House name, then Kevan did the same when Cersei was punished, specially because he did know the Baratheon kids were all three products of incest. He didn't do it to spite (on) Tywin('s grave), he did exactly what Tywin himself could have done.

Tywin himself get sure his own son got a very humiliating trial in a crime he probably was very sure he didn't commit.

If Tywin was trying to get ridden of Tyrion in name of his House name, then Kevan did the same when Cersei was punished, specially because he did know the Baratheon kids were all three products of incest. He didn't do it to spite (on) Tywin('s grave), he did exactly what Tywin himself could have done.

Tywin would never do this or want to do this to Cersei.

Stannis. It's a lot easier to follow your brother if he only did right by you; Kevan and Victarion have no reason to complain about Tywin and Balon's treatment of them- they treated everyone else badly but them.

Robert didn't treat Stannis that bad, Stannis is just oversensitive and a whiner by nature

Stannis . He ate crap for 15 years and took it.

He let his brother die though, while both Kevan and Victarion were dutiful to the end.

Also, his constant whining about he should have gotten Storm's End or he should have been the Hand after Jon doesn't exactly strike me as dutiful.

Archived