Tywin and the Vale......

lyannaisalive

Robert was raised by Arryn and he was nothing like Jon, infact Robert as an adult was nothing like he was as an adolescent growing up in the Vale. People change.

Just because Ned says one thing does not make it true.

Stannis was inclined to believe him because he was saying that Stannis was the rightful King. That is just his character.

Yet they loved Robert but not Ned??? EVERYONE knew Ned was a man of honor, Baratheons, Tyrells, Martells, Arryns, Tullys, even the Lannisters knew he was a man of honor.

Yet they loved Robert but not Ned??? EVERYONE knew Ned was a man of honor, Baratheons, Tyrells, Martells, Arryns, Tullys, even the Lannisters knew he was a man of honor.

He was still a man, they didn't see him as any kind of infallible God incapable of doing nothing wrong.

He admitted his guilt, surely that is the action of an honorable man? A dishonorable man would lie about it.

He had a bastard that is a stain on his honor and in the case that Joffrey is a bastard then he kept that a secret from Robert which is also a stain on his honor.

He was still a man, they didn't see him as any kind of infallible God incapable of doing nothing wrong.

He admitted his guilt, surely that is the action of an honorable man? A dishonorable man would lie about it.

He had a bastard that is a stain on his honor and in the case that Joffrey is a bastard then he kept that a secret from Robert which is also a stain on his honor.

Im not arguing he didn't LOOK dishonorable and attempt to seize power (probably to most) but I just cant believe there weren't some doubts.

No. Robert named Ned, his Hand, Lord Regent and Protector of the Realm until Joffrey (or his heir) is old enough. Cersei's title as Queen is just that, a title. When she rules, she is called Queen Regent for a reason.

Before Robert's death, neither Cersei nor Joffrey were ever part of the small council, the governing body of the realm. Ned did not attempt an overthrow as that would imply he would remove the current King or Regent. But technically, he was the ruler of Westeros due to Robert's will, which makes it impossible for him to stage a coup.

Ned would have ruled in Joffrey's name, Ned was not King himself, the power he would wield as Regent was Joffrey's, he was just exercising it in his stead until he's of age. Joffrey was the current King, he was just to young to wield the authority of the position.

Look at it similar to a 'power of attorney'.

If Stannis is really King, then there's no Regent/LP at all, so Ned has no power, other than as Hand in that case.

Ned would have ruled in Joffrey's name, Ned was not King himself, the power he would wield as Regent was Joffrey's, he was just exercising it in his stead until he's of age. Joffrey was the current King, he was just to young to wield the authority of the position.

Look at it similar to a 'power of attorney'.

If Stannis is really King, then there's no Regent/LP at all, so Ned has no power, other than as Hand in that case.

Ned would rule in the name of the king until the rightful heir took the throne, Ned knew the rightful heir is Stannis and had to hold throne until Stannis arrived so he was doing exactly what he was suppose too, unfortunately nobody else knew that except for Cersei and those she paid off

Ned would rule in the name of the king until the rightful heir took the throne, Ned knew the rightful heir is Stannis and had to hold throne until Stannis arrived so he was doing exactly what he was suppose too, unfortunately nobody else knew that except for Cersei and those she paid off

No, this is what he was supposed to do, what his King obeyed him to do:

"This is the will and word of Robert of House Baratheon, the First of his Name, King of the Andals and all the rest - put in the damn titles, you know how it goes. I do hereby command Eddard of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Hand of the King, to serve as Lord Regent and Protector of the Realm upon my . . . upon my death . . . to rule in my . . . in my stead, until my son Joffrey does come of age . . . "

Ned had the opportunity to tell Robert and chickened out. And lets face it, Ned is no better than Cersei in regards to paying people off

Littlefinger laughed. "I ought to make you say it, but that would be cruel . . . so have no fear, my good lord. For the sake of the love I bear for Catelyn, I will go to Janos Slynt this very hour and make certain that the City Watch is yours. Six thousand gold pieces should do it. A third for the Commander, a third for the officers, a third for the men. We might be able to buy them for half that much, but I prefer not to take chances.

They both tried bribery.

Ned had the opportunity to tell Robert and chickened out. And lets face it, Ned is no better than Cersei in regards to paying people off

They both tried bribery.

Im not saying he didnt. But he only did so at the urging of LF and because Renly had already left. I think if he had taken Renlys offer he wouldn't used the GC. This is whats ironic, Ned is finally playing the game of thrones and immediately trusts the wrong man.

Im not saying he didnt. But he only did so at the urging of LF and because Renly had already left. I think if he had taken Renlys offer he wouldn't used the GC. This is whats ironic, Ned is finally playing the game of thrones and immediately trusts the wrong man.

How come it is never the Starks fault? There is always someone else to blame. Ned was not forced into bribing the guards, he chose to with his own free will.

How come it is never the Starks fault? There is always someone else to blame. Ned was not forced into bribing the guards, he chose to with his own free will.

Ned was politically inept, do you think he would have done it or even thought of it without LF?

Ned was politically inept, do you think he would have done it or even thought of it without LF?

So?

You are happy to criticize Cersei for 'paying' people off, but find excuses for Ned when he does it. Do you not find the double standards a little hypocritical. It's either wrong for the both of them or politically acceptable for the both of them.

It was, he purposefully altered the Kings last will and testament to suit what he wanted not what King Robert wanted. That is an act of treason and not legal.

It was, he purposefully altered the Kings last will and testament to suit what he wanted not what King Robert wanted. That is an act of treason and not legal.

No he didn't.

He held to the spirit of the law, rather than the letter.

By writing what he did, he was deflecting treason, rather than abetting it.

No he didn't.

He held to the spirit of the law, rather than the letter.

By writing what he did, he was deflecting treason, rather than abetting it.

That is BS. He was committing treason, had he the stones of his convictions, he would have told Robert there and then what he knew and either suffered Roberts dying wrath (which he was partially scared of) or let him deal with the Lannisters by Royal decree. He chickened out and committed treason knowing that Westeros would go to war.

Archived