Will House Tyrell throw in with Aegon?

Amris

I don't really see an advantage for the Tyrells sticking it out with their Lannister 'buddies'.

The Lannister heavyweights are gone. The Lannister wealth and army are severely stressed (to put it mildly). The Queen regent is nuts and prone to make matters ever worse. And the boy king is - a boy.

Add to that that Aegon must be real, real mad at the Lannisters after what went down during the sack of King's Landing at the end of Robert's rebellion.

The Tyrells on the other hand can point to their own house having been loyal to the Targaryens during the rebellion, up to the bitter end, having fought the Baratheons, besieged Stannis and only given up after Kings Landing had already fallen, King Aerys and Crown Prince Rhaegar had been killed and the remainder of the Targaryen family fled.

Why not take Cersei and Tommen captive, marry Maergery to Aegon and come out of all of this ahead?

The only real obstacle I can see are the pesky Martells. They are a problem. But not an unsolvable one I think.

Anyway - sticking to the Lannisters does seem like an unwarranted risk at this point. Why take it? Just switch sides and win.

They are already in power and I doubt that Aegon will take Margery for his Queen when he is awaiting Daenyres coming. They won't switch at this point unless Margery can marry Aegon, which is not going to happen so they will stick with the Lannisters to their doom.

They are already in power and I doubt that Aegon will take Margery for his Queen when he is awaiting Daenyres coming. They won't switch at this point unless Margery can marry Aegon, which is not going to happen so they will stick with the Lannisters to their doom.

Aegon is performing the Targaryen-heritage, whether he's real or fake. Targ's can marry multiple women. Perhaps even men. xD

Aegon is performing the Targaryen-heritage, whether he's real or fake. Targ's can marry multiple women. Perhaps even men. xD

While I agree to some point there has only been two documented cases of Polygamy confirmed, Meagor and Aegon I. The third possibility is theory at this point. I am not saying he wouldn't take two wives, I am simply stating I doubt that Daeny would go for it. I also think that Arianne might have something to say about it as well.

Tyrells aren't stupid, so I don't see them go down with the Lannister ship. They are opportunists, and their support for the Lannisters isn't rooted in some deeply ingrained sense of loyalty; in fact, they don't even like the Lannisters that much. They supported the Lannisters thus far for their own gains. If that support becomes a liability, however, I don't see them having any trouble dropping the Lannisters in a heartbeat.

I don't see why the Tyrells would back Aegon seeing that, as of the end ADwD, they are in an even better position than the Lannisters in regards to the Iron Throne. With Cersei seemingly broken and Kevan & Pycelle out of the picture there is, in my view anyway, precious little to stop Mace Tyrell from assuming the regency over his son-in-law. IIRC he was already Hand of the King.

I see the lannisters screwed. With the Tyrells, I think they would focus more on the iron island and the Greyjoys. Its because they are getting attacked by the Iron islands and because of all the mess, they might be like screw the Lannisters and first take care of their home problems. I think they would probably be more neutral regarding Aegon and the Lannisters. They would probably wait and see. Now if Dorne sees that Aegon is for real or believe that he is the real thing, they would jump in the Aegon jump ship and attack the Lannisters which might force the Reach to join the Lannisters seeing as they don't like Dorne much. Its kind of hard to tell because it depends on how successful Aegon is and also based on how much mess Cersei creates.

I think mostly people think that the Tyrells will switch sides again because of one single comment by one random guy of the GC (while ignoring JC's comment of friends in the Stormlands who might remember him, you know, Lord Connington... the same guy who was actually a powerful lord only sixteen years ago and not some guys from some house who were exiled who knows why and who knows when)

Laswell Peake rapped his knuckles on the table. "Even after a century, some of us still have friends in the Reach. The power of Highgarden may not be what Mace Tyrell imagines."

First, he says "the Reach", not Highgarden itself. When he means "the power of HG", I assume he means that not all Mace's bannermen are as loyal as he think they are, not that the Tyrells themselves will actually turn against the Lannisters.

House Peake is a House from the Reach, and that's why he probably meant when he talked about "friends in the Reach". Maybe these three brothers from the GC received information from Westeros via the Peakes there and they are going to support Aegon's claim, along with some minor Houses.

(current Lord Peake is married to a Lannister, btw)

• 3 weeks later...

maybe sam's dad could join aegon, in kevan's epilouge he seemes to allways discredit the CG calling them adventurers and even call JonCon fake amybe it is to make mace focus elsewhere randyl seems to have an army that matches the size of that of the tyrells and is very ambitous to the ecxtent of sending his own son to the wall because of his weakness, and with kevan out of the picture maybe he will move up from master at arms to hand of the king under mace's regency because i dont think one can hold the other (cersei didn't want tyrion as hand but couldn't be both regent and hand) pluss randyll has a bunch of daughters and aegon seems to be everyone's dream son-in-law

I don't see any reason for them to leave their current privileges/chairs/powerful positions and join a campaign with an uncertain end, especially if they see that campaign nothing more than a rebel pretender backed by a sellsword army. The readers see the Lannisters as screwed because of Cersei POVs but the characters in the books do not see it that way. This point is easily missed.

The Tyrells are well-established in KL but you have to remember that they killed Joff. They have posed serious roadblocks for the Lannisters, killing their King and throwing Cersei to the wayside. I think if they saw a good enough reason that Aegon could be victorious, they will switch. They certainly would have second thoughts about getting besieged by a Targaryen and fighting him to the bitter end. I think they would rather join his side. However, their utmost concern, I think, is of self-preservation, so I would conclude that they will just stick to whatever side will see them through the best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

joncon is running out of time and it would give him the opportunity to take out revenge on the lannisters and crown aegon very quickly. so he could either convince aegon to change plans or he might make a deal with the tyrells without asking him. of course this would have serious consequences. personally i can't imagine aegon changing plans now, he seems determined to wait for dany, but who knows when she will come. maybe there will be rumors of her being dead or lost and at some point aegon will realize that he cannot wait for something that might never happen. alone he isn't strong enough to conquer westeros. if he is presented the choice between becoming king instantly with little bloodshed (except for lannister blood) or fighting a long and bloody war with an unknown outcome, well, then he might change his mind. he moved on to impress dany, but it isn't really impressive to start a war that you cannot win without help. just let him think about it and he will change his mind, we've already seen how easy it was for tyrion to manipulate him and tyrion isn't the only person who is good at that.

I think mostly people think that the Tyrells will switch sides again because of one single comment by one random guy of the GC (while ignoring JC's comment of friends in the Stormlands who might remember him, you know, Lord Connington... the same guy who was actually a powerful lord only sixteen years ago and not some guys from some house who were exiled who knows why and who knows when)

Laswell Peake rapped his knuckles on the table. "Even after a century, some of us still have friends in the Reach. The power of Highgarden may not be what Mace Tyrell imagines."

First, he says "the Reach", not Highgarden itself. When he means "the power of HG", I assume he means that not all Mace's bannermen are as loyal as he think they are, not that the Tyrells themselves will actually turn against the Lannisters.

House Peake is a House from the Reach, and that's why he probably meant when he talked about "friends in the Reach". Maybe these three brothers from the GC received information from Westeros via the Peakes there and they are going to support Aegon's claim, along with some minor Houses.

(current Lord Peake is married to a Lannister, btw)

ser Jon fossoway (the green one) is married to mace sister. didn't stop him from supporting stannis.

Archived