the Red Wedding

TheLastStark

I made a thread about this awhile back, and it has been addressed by GRRM himself:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102753-house-freys-main-motive-for-the-red-wedding/

"What if" questions are impossible to answer with any certainty... knowing old Lord Walder's character, it is likely he would have searched for some way to disentangle himself from a losing cause sooner or later, but his desertion would likely have taken a less savage form. The Red Wedding was motivated by his desire to wash out the dishonor that was done him...

As for Bolton, if you reread all his sections carefully, I think you will see a picture of a man keeping all his options open as long as he could... sniffing the wind, covering his tracks, ready to jump either way... even as late as his supper with Jaime at Harrenhal...

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the book

^That's from GRRM. So in other words, the red wedding was done by Lord Walder primarily to avenge the broken betrothal, and would not have occurred otherwise. Some less dramatic and bloody betrayal is certainly possible though

Archived