Red Wedding

The Young Bear

I'm currently reading A Storm of Swords, and I cannot quite wrap my head around the fact Walder Frey refused to have his daughter marry their liege lord and heir to Riverrun.

Is there any viable explanation as to why he would betray the King in the North and of the Trident despite Robb's negligence to duty when a more or less suitable bachelor was offered?

(Although, knowing Walder Frey from the television series, perhaps he was jealous and saw an alliance to be brokered between The Twins and the Westerlands instead.)

Walder Frey betrayed the King in the North because the King in the North betrayed him. Coupled with protection and alignment with the Lannisters, who rule the Seven Kingdoms, Walder Frey finds more opportunities for his family and cause by betraying Robb.

That makes good sense, thank you for answering my question. Now that I've read more of A Storm of Swords, I'm starting to see Walder Frey's personality to come into further development.

Instead of having his daughter marry the heir to Riverrun, Walder has eliminated the Tully's (who he feels have insulted him a couple of times and looked down upon him), and in addition (minor Feast spoiler)

, he has been able to instal his second born son as the Lord of Riverrun. Walders actions also strengthened his positions with the Lannisters, which, had Lancel listened to his father, would have given Walder Frey a third seat (Castle Darry) through his granddaughter (with the marriage between Amerei and Lancel undone, Walder will most likely find another husband for her with the Lannisters, as the claim to Darry comes through Amerei).

Archived