US Politics: Is Obama Yossarian

BloodRider

Boner, really? Come on, surely we can raise the political discourse above that of The Situation.

I know. Mea Culpa.

But do you seriously have nothing to say to the facts that SCOTUS has basically given the executive branch a great deal of leeway when it comes to turning Congresses statutes into something that work? And they effectively codified Congress's remedy as write better laws or amend them. Boehner is inventing powers for the Legislative and Judicial branches.

Seriously. His name is Boehner.

And boners are great. I love boners. Don't go contaminating that great phenomenon with one such as Boehner.

Boner has more than one meaning. I was referring to this meaning: a clumsy or stupid mistake; also : howler 2

Or perhaps I was discussing Zamboni drivers.....

Boner, really? Come on, surely we can raise the political discourse above that of The Situation.

I still don't believe it's pronounced the way Boehner claims it is.

Interesting article tracing republican resentment rhetoric to Nixon.

I think it's a bit off base, you need to go further back to the Birchers.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/nixon-memorial

The resentments, racial and cultural and economic, are still real, if not nearly as raw as in 1968, and invoking them has become a kind of reflex on the right, to the point of self-parody. Agnew’s “effete corps of impudent snobs” begets George Bush’s “Harvard boutique liberals” begets Rick Santorum’s attack on President Obama as a “snob” for urging all kids to go to college. “I don’t come from the élite,” Santorum said in 2012. “Élites come up with phony ideologies and phony ideas to rob you of your freedom.” More recently, Ted Cruz attacked President Obama for “doing a lot of pop culture” and acting with “condescension” toward young Americans. It is Nixon pastiche.

It is also a substitute for new ideas and ambitions. In their place, today’s G.O.P. offers only old, recycled grudges (“the press is the enemy,” as Nixon said) and new enemies: climate scientists, unaccompanied immigrant children (who might carry Ebola, Representative Todd Rokita, an Indiana Republican, warns). Every charge now, however farcical, is promulgated by an infrastructure of perpetual grievance—cable news, talk radio, blogs, and the like—that channels middle-class discontent in the right direction (toward “liberal fascists,” judges, lawyers, and “takers”) and not the wrong one (indifferent Republican legislators and their enablers). The portraits on the walls, the marble statue in the courtyard, all these say “Reagan.” But please take a memo: this is the house that Nixon built.

A lot of those ideas are expounded on in the Pearlman book on Nixon. It part of a trilogy in part about why Republicans are a constant 24%. Nixon is the middle book, Goldwater is the first, and the St. Ronnie book just came out. It's a good read.

Interesting article tracing republican resentment rhetoric to Nixon.

I think it's a bit off base, you need to go further back to the Birchers.

Yeah, it didn't start in 1968. You'd be looking earlier, albeit still back to Nixon (as Eisenhower's VP). Perhaps Joe McCarthy as well. Recall that Nixon called Adlai Stevenson an egghead in the 1952 campaign, a term used with a tone of deliberate anti intellectualism.

Yeah, it didn't start in 1968. You'd be looking earlier, albeit still back to Nixon (as Eisenhower's VP). Perhaps Joe McCarthy as well. Recall that Nixon called Adlai Stevenson an egghead in the 1952 campaign, a term used with a tone of deliberate anti intellectualism.

Heck the Republicans have always been like that, you can can go back to Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt and even before that to the Federalists and it springs from the puritanical beliefs of the original colonists all though it might seem contrary or antithetical to that at times, politics like people are full of contradictions.

Heck the Republicans have always been like that, you can can go back to Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt and even before that to the Federalists and it springs from the puritanical beliefs of the original colonists all though it might seem contrary or antithetical to that at times, politics like people are full of contradictions.

Eh? The Republican of the Lincoln era were not the same politically as the Republicans of today, I believe?

Eh? The Republican of the Lincoln era were not the same politically as the Republicans of today, I believe?

You don't believe, you know. God I hate when modern Republicans try to claim Lincoln and Teddy. Willful ignorance is rampant in the Republican Party. I repeat the challenge I present every Republican:

"Please point out one aspect of your party's platform that isn't contradicted by another, and doesn't contradict something else."

It can't be done. Cognitive dissonance at it's finest!

Well the issues were different that's for sure it was a different era, but Lincoln was an uneducated huckster who beat out fellows like Seward for the nomination. Lincolns belief was that America was the Worlds last and best hope, he espoused American exceptionalism as did Teddy Roosevelt, so its on that basis that I make the comparision. Which in my mind runs back to the puritan belief that they were going to build this city sitting on a hill, that would be an example to the world.

Lincoln was an uneducated huckster

By what criteria are you calling him uneducated? Lack of college degree? He wrote, he read, he orated well, he possessed keen analytical and debate skills, and he passed the bar exam of his time. So in what ways do you think "uneducated" apply to Lincoln?

Archived