WorldCon 2014: Party Info, and Volunteers Needed!

The BWB party at WorldCon is on FRIDAY.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the party set up this year is completely different than what we've encountered in the past. As such, I haven't been pushing too hard to organize party duties, simply because Mr. X and I have no clue exactly how this is gonna go down. But I will probably beg for help on Friday afternoon and early evening, as we set up our tent and party area within the activities hall. As such, we'd love for some help with set-up and clean-up. We'll also need a few rotating cast members to check IDs for those who are under 25 and give them wristbands or a hand stamp. We'll need another rotating cast of people to keep watch on the party (security) to make sure that nobody is getting out of line.

Party Donation: Every year, we ask for a minimum donation to help offset the costs of renting the space and buying the beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic).

The 2014 donation is 10 GBP.

Our bar will be much more limited than the one we can build in the US. I am sure we can arrange to burn out someone's tastebuds with Trinidad Scorpion Wildfire, but our available beverages will be beer, cider, a punch made with vodka, and non-alcoholic drinks.

UPDATE: Please do not bring any outside food or drink into the party area on Friday. There will be inspectors with Official Lists 'n' Shit, and if we have anything in our tent that isn't On The List, they will throw our asses out.

We will have the event space until 3am, but I would like for it to be completely clean and ready for turnover by 2am. After that, if people want to hang out, that's cool. I'm quite sure we are going to run out of booze long before that, but there is a bar in the event space, and those who wish to continue to get their drink on and socialize will be able to do so.

Volunteers:

Set-Up (some time between 4pm and 7pm):

1. Aratan

2. maid of woodlynne

3. Eefa

4. Elgernon

5. Flip

6. NEAL

7. Mr. Darcy's Cat

Security during the party (up to midnight). We need male and female volunteers for this.

1. Xray

2. Elder Sister

3. Alytha

4. Baita

5. Mr. Baita

6. Liff

7. Tyria

8. Hedgerow

Wristbands during the party (up to midnight)

1. Pebbles

2. Mich

3. Skylark

4. MALT!

5. FB

6. SKSomerville

Clean-up (11pm-1am)

1. Eefa

2. Elsterkrebs

3. Adz

4. BillyJ

5. Sam of Tarth

ETA: Updated donation. It's now officially 10 GBP.

Setup / cleanup this year, please. If you have enough volunteers, then just setup, though I'll always be around to help for as long as I can.

Also, not to be overly cynical, but I suggest stamp in indelible ink for the under-25s, if those are the options. A wristband can just be cut off, so it works better IME for those who *are* eligible for something. Some ink can be washed off as well, but I'm sure they make stuff that really needs scrubbing.

Put me down for whatever needs doing. If things come up beforehand or during and you need an extra emergency set of hands, just let me know. Happy to take some of the stress off you and Mr. X.

put me down for setup for sure, i will be around and happy to help in any capacity from setup time on, not sure I will manage to stay awake all the way through clean up time though lol

also just out of curiosity do you have preference if our donations are in GBP or $ or paypal even?

(Martha/Doug, I trust the following is not stepping on your toes...if it is, delete/edit at will.)
I've been drafted by Mutha Hydra to be one of the con's Party Mavens -- essentially, an individual who circulates around the entire Party Village and provides assistance to hosts as needed. (Based on what I know so far, I will NOT be working the night of the BWB party!) The Party Mavens are NOT con security, but can escalate a problem to that team if needed.

Anyone planning to assist with the party -- even informally w/o signing up here -- should do a little prep, as follows:

1) Read the general party-planning page on the con's web site: http://www.loncon3.org/parties.php

2) Read the party-organizers' FAQ: http://www.loncon3.org/parties_faq.php

3) Read the con's Code of Conduct, as all party organizers and staff are required to abide by it: http://www.loncon3.org/conduct.php

Last, but far from least, the above pages contain a number of "contact us" links. That's what Team X has been doing on our behalf, and any questions/issues should be passed to them, not directly to the con. Doug and Martha have run enormously successful BWB parties in the past, often under somewhat adverse conditions, and will undoubtedly do the same this year. Blindsiding them is neither a good idea nor good form.

Also, not to be overly cynical, but I suggest stamp in indelible ink for the under-25s, if those are the options. A wristband can just be cut off, so it works better IME for those who *are* eligible for something. Some ink can be washed off as well, but I'm sure they make stuff that really needs scrubbing.

I suppose the idea is to stamp/wristband those who are over 18 and so can drink but have a young adult badge? So they'd have no interest in removing the bands.

I'm not sure if we can attend, but I'd be happy to give my donation on the night if we do. Just need to remember to draw the cash out! Also, is there any chance of someone selling hot drinks on the night? I rarely drink alcohol, and Coke gets a bit tedious after a while..

Archived