Football LXXXII: It begins with the Community Shield

Mexal

That's so, so idiotic rule, I cannot even into.

So you basically can do some scum to be ruled out in second leg if you won first 4:0?

For instance just leave the match? Or put ineligible players? WTF?

If you leave the match, you can be disqualified from the competition.

What do people think of the apparantly impending UTD signing Juan Cuadrado?

Not so much about what he should cost, but who has actually seen him play outside of a few WC games with Colombia where he looked alright but not special ( to me). Is this a great player? Does UTD need him?

I don't think we need him. As Polish already mentioned, he is an improvement on our current wingers but we are not playing with out and out wingers. We are thin at the back and a CB is a higher priority than a winger.

UEFA might be corrupt and shamelessly favouritist, but they aren't total mugs. If you do something to cause a forfeit in a game in a situation where a forfeit guarantees you a victory you might otherwise not have got, they're going to kick you out.

In group match possibly. I'm quite sure that's not the way in knock-out phase.

You could then after let's say winning 4:0, put reserve team in second leg and let them gain 5-6 red cards in first 10 minutes, ending the match with 3:0 walkover rather than risking losing it.

You could. But you'd be risking a more severe penalty, including disqualification from the competition outright. The 3-0 loss is only one of a range of sanctions - it's not automatic.

ETA - which is of course exactly why Legia are appealing: they think a lesser sanction should have been applied.

From what I've gathered thoug, Young's tutelage could really take him to that next level.

is the columbian player really ready to throw himself to the ground violently with any inkling of supposed contact? is he ready to aimlessly cross the ball into the stands? is he prepared to wave his arms around and shake his head when he gives the ball up?

City folk need to stop referring to their training ground as 'Carrington'. Maybe 'Carrington 2' at a pinch.

Don't worry, we're moving to a training facility which will be the envy of Europe soon. You can have the windswept vista of Carrington all to yourselves.

ETA - which is of course exactly why Legia are appealing: they think a lesser sanction should have been applied.

AFAIK they don't have a chance. The Tribunal is only going to find if they broke the rule or not, which they evidently did (no matter how stupid that was). It doesn't have the authority to judge if the penalty was appropriate.

Archived