Football LXXXII: It begins with the Community Shield

Mexal

That game didn't much improve my opinion of Costa, tbh. Fabregas, Schurrle and Hazard did very well, but with those behind him and the amount of space Burnley were leaving, I'd have expected more impact from a supposed world-class striker. Not scoring, necessarily, just running the defenders about and finding space behind them.
Especially considering he wasn't exactly inactive. Just ineffective.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.

That game didn't much improve my opinion of Costa, tbh. Fabregas, Schurrle and Hazard did very well, but with those behind him and the amount of space Burnley were leaving, I'd have expected more impact from a supposed world-class striker. Not scoring, necessarily, just running the defenders about and finding space behind them.

Especially considering he wasn't exactly inactive. Just ineffective.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.

I don't think Costa is world class. Not yet anyway. One season of scoring goals in La Liga does not make world class. Will be curious how he does against teams like Palace.

I don't think Costa is world class.

No, neither do I, but a lot of people are painting him as such or close to.

I see him somewhere about the same level as Giroud or Negredo in their different ways - which isn't bad at all in general terms, both those players are very good and work fine for their clubs, but the way Jose's setting up, there's a whole lot more emphasis on the sole striker and I'm not sure Costa's the answer to their problems.

Yeah, Ba was a peach for West Ham the year we went down last (with 7 from 10 starts). He knows how to score goals. Five clubs in five years, though. Gotta be something wrong with his flossing routine.

That's just mean, Costa's at least 10x better than fucking Giroud

Giroud's a poor finisher, Costa probably has him beat there (although given that Costa has played five top flight seasons and scored more than ten goals once whereas Giroud has done it for four and scored more than ten goals four times, albeit not always by much, I'm not 100% on that either), and he's pretty slow, but in terms of holding the ball up and bringing his team-mates into it, Costa has nothing on Giroud from what I've seen. I'm not saying Giroud would be any better for Chelsea right now, but I don't think Arsenal would be improved if you swapped them.

No, neither do I, but a lot of people are painting him as such or close to.

I see him somewhere about the same level as Giroud or Negredo in their different ways - which isn't bad at all in general terms, both those players are very good and work fine for their clubs, but the way Jose's setting up, there's a whole lot more emphasis on the sole striker and I'm not sure Costa's the answer to their problems.

He might have only done it once but Costa scored 36 goals in La Liga and the Champions League last year. That's a world class season, Giroud's never come close to that. I agree that perhaps we should wait before inking him in as definitely a world class player but it's not hard to see why people see him as being a step above the likes of Giroud.

That's just mean, Costa's at least 10x better than fucking Giroud

Eh. I'm not so sure. Giroud gets a lot of shit but he does quite a bit for the team and when he's not playing 50+ fixtures, he's quite effective. When Ramsey was playing, he was excellent. When Ramsey and company got injured, he couldn't carry the team. No real surprise.

Eh. I'm not so sure. Giroud gets a lot of shit but he does quite a bit for the team and when he's not playing 50+ fixtures, he's quite effective. When Ramsey was playing, he was excellent. When Ramsey and company got injured, he couldn't carry the team. No real surprise.

Agreed. While Costa may be the better player, they do different things and Giroud's skills at linking play and holding up the ball are more valuable to Arsenal's current personnel than Costa. That being said, I have a feeling Costa is going to turn out to be a good buy for Chelsea. Anything is going to be an improvement over what they had last season, and I would be surprised if he doesn't get to 20+ league goals.

Archived