Would you recast any character?

Ingelheim

Gemma Whelan is quite pretty. She's made up to look dour on the show.

Agree. She's adorable. I hate all of those "she's not pretty" stupid arguments. She's not an stunning beauty but she's definitely cute.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Gemma+Whelan+Game+Thrones+Season+Launch+London+HkLXyyCv7rKl.jpg

Complaints that some characters aren't attractive enough could not be more ironic considering complaints about television, including this programme with characters like Jorah and Tyrion. Seriously what a ridiculous gripe to have - and realise that these things are objective anyway. For what it's worth I find Gemma hot, not that it should matter.

As far as Yara/Asha goes, details like her affection for Theon having been written into the tv series don't really change the character all that much. She's still supposed to be a feisty female pirate in the show just as she is in the books. Athletic, adventurous, dark haired, long limbed and fit. Whether you like Gemma as an actress or not, the fact remains she does not fit the GRRM's description of the character she plays.

I also agree with Ingleheim, there are women with large noses who are stunning (e.g. Sophia Loren). A perky child like nose being considered beautiful on a grown woman is a relatively recent and very American post WWII notion and explains the popularity of the nose job. In Europe, standards of beauty are different. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I started reading the books after seeing seasons one and two of the show. Some actors' faces came to mind when reading (Michelle Fairley, Rory McCann, Charles Dance amongst others), others did not match GRRM's words in the least. So for me, those actors whose performance and appearance matched the descriptions of the characters in the books, were cast well. Those who did not, were miscast.

Recasting... hm... let's see. When I watched the first season, I thought that Renly didn't look the part; I had a different image in mind and would have wanted a different actor - don't ask me who, though :) After rewatching season 1 and season 2, I think he's fitting in quite well. I'd probably recast Jon because I simply cannot stand that pathetic look on Kit Harrington's face - he almost always looks desperate. I thought it was just the role but when I saw him in Silent Hill: Revelation, I realised that he's just not very good. I've never liked Jon but Kit makes me hate the guy - it also works the other way around, though. I dislike book-Catelyn but adore Michelle Fairley's Performance and find myself actually liking show-Cat :) As for other recasts, I'd probably go with Mance Rayder as well. I love Ciaran Hinds, he's a wonderful actor, but his apperances have a kind of "This guy's in the wrong place"-feeling to them. Also, I had a different image of Mance in mind when reading the books. I'd also recast Yara/Asha simply because she doesn't fit GRRM's description at all.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as Yara/Asha goes, details like her affection for Theon having been written into the tv series don't really change the character all that much. She's still supposed to be a feisty female pirate in the show just as she is in the books. Athletic, adventurous, dark haired, long limbed and fit. Whether you like Gemma as an actress or not, the fact remains she does not fit the GRRM's description of the character she plays.

Things like removing almost all the humor, wit, charisma and sassy provocativeness from Asha's character do really change the character. The show version just comes off as dour, stern and humorless. It's especially odd when you consider that the show has gone out of its way to make other female characters sexier (Osha) or wittier and snarkier, even when it really doesn't fit the character (Brienne).

I'm not saying this is about casting, it's mostly due to the writing and how D&D apparently want to portray the character. Maybe Gemma Whelan could play book Asha if they let her; at least she should be able to play up the wit and humor, since she's a comedian.

Mark Addy as Mace Tyrell would be outstanding.

One minor chance I would make is with Hodor. Maybe dress in something that doesn't make him look like he's Maesters and Knights with Rickon.

Who would you have as Robert then?

Oh, I thought we were going by dream casting, cause I was thinking of a much younger Brian Blessed playing Bobby B.

Oh no no, sorry if I wasn't clear.

I agree with you Brian would make one hell of a RObert, but Mark Addy already filled that gap, although he was 25 cm shorter than he should have been.

Who would you have as Robert then?

I don't really have one in mind. The actor Rhys Parry Jones fits the role physically, but I've only seen him in one film(Ironclad) nor do I know for sure if he's taller then Mark Addy. I believe Mark Addy did a great job, his just not the correct build. I don't look at him and think once that man was a great warrior.

Couple pictures I found of Rhys Parry Jones:

Picture One

Picture Two

I don't really have one in mind. The actor Rhys Parry Jones fits the role physically, but I've only seen him in one film(Ironclad) nor do I know for sure if he's taller then Mark Addy. I believe Mark Addy did a great job, his just not the correct build. I don't look at him and think once that man was a great warrior.

Couple pictures I found of Rhys Parry Jones:

Picture One

Picture Two

Mark Addy is 1,79m (5'10.5) : http://www.celebheights.com/s/Mark-Addy-972.html

Rhys Parry Jones's height isn't on the Internet. At least, I haven't been able to find it.

I didn't have as much of an issue with Addy's height as I did with the way he played Robert. The accent was wrong and he came across as a Flea Bottom thug who made it big, completely ignoring the fact that Robert was the eldest son of an aristocratic family with the education that entailed. It missed the mark on many counts.

I think Rufus Sewell would have been a better fit if Rufus had put on extra weight for the role.

Archived