Would you recast any character?

Ingelheim

First of all, I don't get all the moaning about Kit Harrington as Jon Snow. I think he might be the best cast in the whole show. He gets 10/10 from me.

Littlefinger, possibly with James Callis or Michael Sheen, but in any case, an actor who will not speak in a low, growling voice.

I think Aidan is quite good as LF when he isn't doing the weird villain voice but omigod James Callis would be friggin' awesome LF. Just the perfect amount of sneaky, smart, charming and pathetic. Realistically I reckon he would be far too expensive actor though.

The ones I would recast are

-Jorah Mormont. This role needs someone who looks and seems MUCH MUCH more gruff, tough and bear looking. The ones who say he is way better in the show are completely insane, the character is totally butchered. Iain Glen might be a good actor but that character is nothing like Jorah.

-Sweetrobin who needs to be a much smaller and more weakly kid.

-Possibly Bran, out of the main cast I think he has the least acting talent plus the wig looks really dumb on him for some reason.

-Possibly Tyrion, he needs to be uglier and more debauched looking.

-Margaery I feel is too good looking compared to Sansa and Cersei. They are all very beautiful tough, but I feel like Sansa should be the prettiest woman in the show, followed closely by Cersei (like someone suggested Charlize Theron would've been 10/10 Cersei)... Maybe all or some of these women should've been cast differently.

First of all, I don't get all the moaning about Kit Harrington as Jon Snow. I think he might be the best cast in the whole show. He gets 10/10 from me.

Isn't he a bit too good looking? Kit is stunning, but Jon is never described as handsome in the books, as far as I know. Rather, a point is made of his long face and that he looks just like Eddard Stark (who is at one point being referred to as plain by Catelyn).

Sure, Ygritte fell head over heals for Jon, but I think that had more to do with his battle prowess.

I think the cast of the show is almost perfect - yes -many of them are not what and how I imagined , but they fit the bill perfectly (for example "my" Renly and even Loras would look and behave quite differently, but the actors fit the roles the way they are written for the show).

I would never complain about the looks of an actor - I think this is plain ridiculous - what is beautiful for one, is ugly for someone else.

I have seen many people complaining about Sansa, for example, and then offering some disastrously saccharine actress that look like Disney princesses or modern American sorority girls but nothing like beautiful aristocrat in fake-medieval setting. Looking at some of suggestions I thank the 7, the Lord of Light and the Great Other that the show runners made correct decisions.

True, in some rare occasions I am not sure of the acting talents of the actors but I believe with right material and direction even those who seemed less interesting can improve (Jon has improved last season and my initial doubts about Sersei disappeared after I saw her in Season 2)

Hearing ppl saying they recast someone just becuz they don't fill their mental image is rediculous , i think most actors did geat job with what they are provided , yes LF is very duffetent from the book but that's becuz they wrote him that way and i think its a good choicd for the best part since his mask ( to the audience was dropped in s1 ) maybe they could have tried him a slightly funnier.

S1 the mountain is the best by far i wish they could have kept him and since he was an actor unlike the other mountains they could have written stuff scenes for him insyad of being a non entity.

Trystane and new myrcella look toi much teen wolf for me i hate them already i hope they are good actors and not just eye candy.

• 1 month later...

I never tried to fit any character with a real actor or actress before the TV show started, except for Cersei. In my "head TV" she was always Nicole Kidman.

About the rest: Gwendoline Christie (Brienne de Tarth) is too pretty, same as Rose Leslie (Ygritte). Brienne is supposed to be quite ugly, and Ygritte is supposed to be homely.

I don't like Gemma Whelan as Asha (Yara) Greyjoy. Asha is supposed to be attractive in a kind of boyish/androginous/athletic way, and Gemma doesn't strike me as an athletic warrior woman. And the makeup doesn't help, they have tried to make her homely, not athletic. In my "head TV" she's a bit like the athlete Allison Stokke, only a bit more androginous.

I like Natalie Dormer, but I think she's too impish/naughty sprite-looking to be Margaery Tyrell. Natalie is pretty, but she smiles like a trickster, and Margarey Tyrell is supposed to have the deceiving looks of a like a pure, innocent angel.

The one character I actually would recast is Yara Greyjoy. I like Gemma Whelan, but she's playing Yara too serious and too quiet, which is odd considering how energetic and humorous she seems to be in real life (or at least in her episode commentaries). I wish she'd brought a bit more of that spunkiness to her portrayal of Yara.

I've just been re-reading Theon's ACOK chapters, and I'm picture a short-haired Ashley Greene as Asha. I think she has a good combination of sexy (because let's face it, Theon got hard just looking at her), spunky, and tough.

The one character I actually would recast is Yara Greyjoy. I like Gemma Whelan, but she's playing Yara too serious and too quiet, which is odd considering how energetic and humorous she seems to be in real life (or at least in her episode commentaries). I wish she'd brought a bit more of that spunkiness to her portrayal of Yara.

It's the writing (at least it seems to me). Yara and Asha are basically different characters.

-Margaery I feel is too good looking compared to Sansa and Cersei. They are all very beautiful tough, but I feel like Sansa should be the prettiest woman in the show, followed closely by Cersei (like someone suggested Charlize Theron would've been 10/10 Cersei)... Maybe all or some of these women should've been cast differently.

Well, it's a matter of taste. I, for one, think that's exactly how it is; those three I'd definitely rank Sansa > Cersei > Margaery, whose looks I find to be very overrated.

I have seen many people complaining about Sansa, for example, and then offering some disastrously saccharine actress that look like Disney princesses or modern American sorority girls but nothing like beautiful aristocrat in fake-medieval setting. Looking at some of suggestions I thank the 7, the Lord of Light and the Great Other that the show runners made correct decisions.

:agree:

It's really hard to reach any consensus on what characters are supposed to look like, when everyone has such different ideas both which actors are attractive, and what characters look like.

For me, Sansa is one of the few that fits the character perfectly, other than being older - for book character, I aged her down to how she looked in the pilot/season 1 for ASOS/AFFC.

NCW is another one I always thought fit the character perfectly. It's so funny then when I saw some people saying he wasn't handsome enough. Really?! Sometimes I think, Have you got eyes? Then I remember, it's all the matter of taste...

It's really hard to reach any consensus on what characters are supposed to look like, when everyone has such different ideas both which actors are attractive, and what characters look like.

That seems to be a hard thing for some people to grasp.

I had images of the book characters that don't seem to jibe with a lot of other readers images.

Then , as good a writer as George is, he not in that set of writers who give a Really Detailed page image of a character, I know of some but am not going looking for those writers right now.

I also found GRRM inconstant across books , for instance Brienne is as ugly as a mud fence in one book and then just homely later on.

The producers had an almost impossible job of finding tall English actress who could do the job, Gwendoline Christie was kind of miracle find.

In real life a very attractive woman they wisely did not go for prosthetics just kind of manly plain woman look which I thought was brilliant.

Thankfully Christie has proved to versatile and excellent at the craft.

(I can see how she met with some discrimination , over her height. but she is a good actress.)

This could be said about any actor on the show, tho for some like Charles Dance , it would have dumb not to have hired him!

Too, David and Dan are very creative people , so we see them spin the drama to better fit the actual actor rather than the page character.

In the case of Dormer , she just to intelligent and exotically beautiful and mature to to waste on the book's wall flower Margaery Tyrell , that character's upgrading is much appreciated by me.

One notes that some characters were offered to actors , who for various reasons did not take the role, we know some , we don't know all, so there is that too.

The boat has sailed on topic of thread and I , for one, am happy with 99% of the casting.

its funny people keep mentioning charlize as cercei because charlize theron said in an interview she would love to be on the show...wish they would of used her as Val, would of been perfect.

its funny people keep mentioning charlize as cercei because charlize theron said in an interview she would love to be on the show...wish they would of used her as Val, would of been perfect.

There's no way they'd waste Charlize on a minor underdeveloped character like Val (who may not even be on the show).

Now, in the hypothetical scenario where HBO decided to do a prequel to GoT that encompassed the entire reign of Aerys (or covered RR but had lots and lots of long flashbacks), I could see her as Joanna Lannister.

There's no way they'd waste Charlize on a minor underdeveloped character like Val (who may not even be on the show).

Now, in the hypothetical scenario where HBO decided to do a prequel to GoT that encompassed the entire reign of Aerys (or covered RR but had lots and lots of long flashbacks), I could see her as Joanna Lannister.

A number of A list actors come to mind for the show, but there is only one un-cast (maybe!) female character I can think of.

(The exclusion of that character, if that's the case, may or may not have an impact on a major plot arc , which is a puzzle.)

A couple of major male characters who may yet be cast.

As noted, hopefully by this late in the story no new major characters , since for crying out loud, the story has to end somewhere!

A same-universe story could work, and with the popularity of that universe could attract A listers , however does anyone want George to leave off writing right now?

I wonder about GRRM's future-project with HBO?

Remember that? Of course we don't want him working on that either.

A number of A list actors come to mind for the show, but there is only one un-cast (maybe!) female character I can think of.

(The exclusion of that character, if that's the case, may or may not have an impact on a major plot arc , which is a puzzle.)

A couple of major male characters who may yet be cast.

As noted, hopefully by this late in the story no new major characters , since for crying out loud, the story has to end somewhere!

A same-universe story could work, and with the popularity of that universe could attract A listers , however does anyone want George to leave off writing right now?

I wonder about GRRM's future-project with HBO?

Remember that? Of course we don't want him working on that either.

I remember there was some talk a while ago about HBO supposedly planning to do a Dunk & Egg series at some point (probably after GoT ends, I'm guessing; GoT is their most watched show ever, they will want to milk that cow for all it's worth). But making an adaptation of D&E would be very tricky - the stories, when GRRM finishes them, will span several decades. What do you do with Egg's role, do you recast him several times? How much aging makeup do you use on Dunk and other actors to make the passage of time remotely convincing? Or do you just focus on their early adventures and ignore everything else? In which case it would lose a lot of the meaning and lack resolution.

Archived