When did Jaime try to kill Arya?

Pilusmagnus

Isn't Ned so frantic of finding Arya not just because he needs to find her but because he knows Jaime and the hound are already looking for her (wasn't there a specific thought about that?)? We saw what the hound did to the boy....would he have done the same to Arya? I mean if Ned found Arya dead I doubt it would be hard to figure out who did it (and who ordered it) and Ned wont simply let her murder go unpunished he didn't have a choice with the Targ children but hes definitely would have had the ability to get justice with his own daughter.

He doesn't specify Jaime or the Hound, he just mentions "Lannister men":

“They’ve found her, my lord.”

Ned rose quickly. “Our men or Lannister’s?”

“It was Jory,” his steward Vayon Poole replied. “She’s not been harmed.”

“Thank the gods,” Ned said. His men had been searching for Arya for four days now, but the queen’s men had been out hunting as well.

He wouldn't have killed her, he's very different when he has time to think things over, and he had time then. Also this wasn't a case of defending his family's life. It was just cruelty.

I tend to believe that as well.

Right, Jaime Lannister, that bastion of self-restraint, tosser of little boys from towers, would have let Arya go with a little warning.

The defensive mechanism to gloss over and rationalize Jaime's actions and intentions because you happen to like him or find him entertaining is equally absurd and sad.

He wouldn't have killed her, he's very different when he has time to think things over, and he had time then. Also this wasn't a case of defending his family's life. It was just cruelty.

Maybe, or maybe not. We know he was at least looking for Arya, and we see that he cuts off his own thought....which seems to say that he doesn't want to think about what he would have done if he found Arya, because he's not sure himself if he may not have killed or maimed her.

I doubt he would have killed her, but cut off her hand? Quite possible.

However, it would have been a very different story, if he had caught Arya and had decided against harming her, because he would have started getting wise to what a nut case his sister was long before he actually did, and that may have changed many things he did.

ETA...and let's remember here that this is AFTER they tried to kill Bran. So, obviously, if she and he were considering they might off another Stark child for no reason except Cersei is a violent bitch, he wasn't really sorry about Bran, was he? Or he would never have contemplating possibly killing or maiming Arya so soon after he threw Bran out of the window.

Maybe, or maybe not. We know he was at least looking for Arya, and we see that he cuts off his own thought....which seems to say that he doesn't want to think about what he would have done if he found Arya, because he's not sure himself if he may not have killed or maimed her.

I doubt he would have killed her, but cut off her hand? Quite possible.

However, it would have been a very different story, if he had caught Arya and had decided against harming her, because he would have started getting wise to what a nut case his sister was long before he actually did, and that may have changed many things he did.

ETA...and let's remember here that this is AFTER they tried to kill Bran. So, obviously, if she and he were considering they might off another Stark child for no reason except Cersei is a violent bitch, he wasn't really sorry about Bran, was he? Or he would never have contemplating possibly killing or maiming Arya so soon after he threw Bran out of the window.

I think this is a good post. The problem with all of these speculative "what if" topics always is that they are...well speculative and counterfactual history at best (well the majority of topics here are that kind ;) )

I think your post shows this quite well. Jaime had it in him to do such thing, that cannot be denied, esp considering that at this moment he still his 100% "Cercei's bitch".

I just never saw him as a cold, ruthless killer. Impulsive asshole for sure. I mean he is no Sandor Clegane who was at best a "I follow orders" type. The Hound justifies the Mycah slaughter till the end.

I very much doubt that. Both that he would decide not to hurt Arya or that the decision would provoke such a change in him.

The only thing that caused him to turn from Cersei is when he found out that she did not love him, something that could only become apparent to a blockhead like Jaime when confronted with the fact that she was perfectly fine with fucking other people.

The killing of little children is hardly an event worthy of reflection for Jaime Lannister, as we already know, so the suggestion that maiming them would do the trick does not conform to facts.

Honestly, if it was not for Tyrion, Jaime would still be wrapped around Cersei's pinkie.

Eh, maybe is my inner Arya fanboy speaking, but I still think Jaime would have been in a bad place with Nymeria biting his arm while Arya simoultanously hits him in the end with a stick (god, I would have loved to see that)

Or she could have run and tell Ned Jaime tried to kill/hurt her.

Also, maiming her just doesn't make any sense. She'd tell Ned. He'd have to kill her.

This issue is not that she'd tell Ned (since the penalty for striking a royal is to lose one's hand) - maiming her would be whitewashed by the Lannisters and their legalities.

Anyway, he would not care. He would want Ned to challenge him to a duel or something anyway. It wasn't just that he had only the slimmest conscience in those days; he also honestly believed he could never lose a fight to any man living.

Jamie would have without a doubt killed her.I mean he pushed Bran out a window (trying to kill him) even when Cersei never told him too.So the fact that Cersei wanted him to do this you can be damn sure he would do it.Jamie before he lost his hand was just a pretty, less rapey version of the mountain (The Hound imo was a far better person then Jamie has ever been)who did whatever Cersei wanted no matter how terrible a thing it was

...and let's remember here that this is AFTER they tried to kill Bran. So, obviously, if she and he were considering they might off another Stark child for no reason except Cersei is a violent bitch, he wasn't really sorry about Bran, was he? Or he would never have contemplating possibly killing or maiming Arya so soon after he threw Bran out of the window.

But that's not the way he was written. He killed the king (Tywin threatened), gave the order for the skirmish with Ned's men (Tyrion threatened), pushed Bran out the window (Cersei threatened). When Cersei wanted to finish off Bran (very subtly suggested with subtext), he made excuses. Because it was after the fact, he had time to think about it. Arya is completey different, he didn't give a damn about Joffrey when he died, much less when two kids got into it. I think he broke off the sentence for a reason, he was feeling pretty horrible about himself at the time, but even then he couldn't say he'd do that. And he wasn't at all shy about saying he'd do things, and then he wouldn't do them. I think I'll whack Brienne over the head when she tries to get into the boat, and then he helps her in. His POV is very tricky to read, he rarely says what he means, and often the opposite of what he does.

Throwing Bran out of the window to protect his sister and himself is one thing.

Cold bloodedly hunt down Arya and kill her? Not his style. Not granting Cersei her wish? Not his style either (at that point). In his POV we see he is conflicted on the issue and would rather not think about what would have happened if he had caught her.

My guess? He simply did not try very hard to find her. He doesn't find her, he doesn't have to decide. Crisis averted.

• 1 month later...

I love these topics, where everyone skewers a character for a crime they didn't actually commit. Like the trebuchet threat, it's only a crime if he actually flings Edmure's baby. Otherwise, it's just talk. He didn't find Arya, so he didn't attempt to kill or maim her.

Right, Jaime Lannister, that bastion of self-restraint, tosser of little boys from towers, would have let Arya go with a little warning.

The defensive mechanism to gloss over and rationalize Jaime's actions and intentions because you happen to like him or find him entertaining is equally absurd and sad.

yep Jaime would have definitely killed Arya if he had gotten to her. idk why people like to make excuses for it, he had no problems pushing bran out the window without a second thought just a few days before

that being said, honestly just the fact that GRRM throws in little tidbits like this hints to me that Jaime probably will never be redeemed. Jaime is the kind of character that people will always argue whether he has a redemption arc or not even long after his story is over imo.

GRRM said that with jaime..he's asking the question on whether forgiveness is possible for terrible people, but not giving an answer... and i think jaime's story will end that way, with the question of how much of a redemption arc he always had ever present.

I love these topics, where everyone skewers a character for a crime they didn't actually commit. Like the trebuchet threat, it's only a crime if he actually flings Edmure's baby. Otherwise, it's just talk. He didn't find Arya, so he didn't attempt to kill or maim her.

Of course its a crime. Its called an attempt in Aryas example; a threat in Edmures case.

Jaime is a scumbag.

Archived