Which character has most improved in your mind through great casting?

Blackfyre Gateau

Oberyn far and away. I liked him in the book, but I LOVED him in the show.

Queen of Thorns, Jaqen, and I already loved Varys, but I think show Varys made me love him more.

I don't like Ygritte in either place, but the actress was good enough to make her annoy me a lot less on the show.

On the other side of the spectrum, I like book Jon Snow much better than show Jon Snow.

Edited because I insist, always, on putting a u in Jaqen.

I think Robb was enhanced by Richard Madden more than any other character, b/c I did not love Robb in the books but he was incredible in the show.

I didn't like the way he finished every sentence with a weird inflection. Couldn't quite put my finger on what it is exactly.

The first to come to mind is Joffrey-called-Baratheon. In the books, sure, he's a shitheel but he comes off really flat to me, letting his actions really dictate why we hate him rather than his personality, which doesn't really come off the page enough for me to really care about him. What Jack Gleeson did was make him unforgettably, wickedly evil, and I'd actually wager that most staunch longtime book readers have trouble thinking of anyone else as the Illborn King.

The first to come to mind is Joffrey-called-Baratheon. In the books, sure, he's a shitheel but he comes off really flat to me, letting his actions really dictate why we hate him rather than his personality, which doesn't really come off the page enough for me to really care about him. What Jack Gleeson did was make him unforgettably, wickedly evil, and I'd actually wager that most staunch longtime book readers have trouble thinking of anyone else as the Illborn King.

Jack was amazing. He played Joff as truly repulsive, but occasionally allowing the "scared little boy" to shine through. My two favourite moments/scenes for this were:

• at Blackwater when the arrogant ill-founded swag he had when he was mocking Sansa before the battle (and making her kiss his sword!) was quickly replaced by terror on the battlements, and,

the scene in S3 in the throne room with Tywin, where he was actually *trying* to take an interest in affairs of estate and Tywin was both towering over him physically and belittling his concerns: "LOL dragons!"

The funny thing is though I thought Joffrey's malevolent presence would really be missed, especially being killed off so early in the season, but I didn't because his time had come really and Jack played out the storyline so brilliantly. I know he's probably not going to act anymore, but he can be proud of giving such an iconic performance.

Jack was amazing. He played Joff as truly repulsive, but occasionally allowing the "scared little boy" to shine through. My two favourite moments/scenes for this were:

• at Blackwater when the arrogant ill-founded swag he had when he was mocking Sansa before the battle (and making her kiss his sword!) was quickly replaced by terror on the battlements, and,

the scene in S3 in the throne room with Tywin, where he was actually *trying* to take an interest in affairs of estate and Tywin was both towering over him physically and belittling his concerns: "LOL dragons!"

The funny thing is though I thought Joffrey's malevolent presence would really be missed, especially being killed off so early in the season, but I didn't because his time had come really and Jack played out the storyline so brilliantly. I know he's probably not going to act anymore, but he can be proud of giving such an iconic performance.

I loved those scenes. The look on his face when Lancel tells him Cersei needs him was amazing. He was so desperate to hide but he was also so aware of his own cowardice.

Not really. The show Joffrey is really different from the book version in approach, so I don't have any problem separating them.

Not really. The show Joffrey is really different from the book version in approach, so I don't have any problem separating them.

I don't see any significant difference between show!Joffrey and book!Joffrey, except for show!Joffrey being a few years older. Book!Joffrey is a sadist who shoots smallfolk when they ask for bread and a budding sexual sadist (as seen in his treatment of Sansa). Show!Joffrey is a full-fledged sexual sadist because he's 17-18 instead of 13. That's all.

I don't see any significant difference between show!Joffrey and book!Joffrey, except for show!Joffrey being a few years older. Book!Joffrey is a sadist who shoots smallfolk when they ask for bread and a budding sexual sadist (as seen in his treatment of Sansa). Show!Joffrey is a full-fledged sexual sadist because he's 17-18 instead of 13. That's all.

Part of it to me is visual. GRRM's characters often contrast appearances with their actual behaviour, but Joffrey is a case where he's supposed to be, well, a mini-Jaime in looks, but they cast a guy who looks more like you would expect a Joffrey-type character to look (for a point of comparison, you might cast Sophie as Cinderella, but I doubt Jack would ever be cast as a fairy tale prince; not to say that he's bad-looking, of course, but he doesn't have that look).

Part of it to me is visual. GRRM's characters often contrast appearances with their actual behaviour, but Joffrey is a case where he's supposed to be, well, a mini-Jaime in looks, but they cast a guy who looks more like you would expect a Joffrey-type character to look (for a point of comparison, you might cast Sophie as Cinderella, but I doubt Jack would ever be cast as a fairy tale prince; not to say that he's bad-looking, of course, but he doesn't have that look).

Oh, I agree about that. He's completely wrong physically (as are many other actors on the show - Jorah, Renly etc.). I just don't think there's any difference in personality.

I agree completely. For me the strong actors are the ones whose faces come to mind when I think of the characters (Peter Dinklage, Michelle Fairley, Charles Dance, Nikolay Coster-Waldau, Rory McCann). When I think of Joffrey, I think of him as described in the books, Jack's face doesn't come to mind. I'm one of the few viewers who were not impressed by his performance.

But to answer the question, for me Carice van Houten as Melisandre greatly improved on the character we see in the books by adding a depth and intelligence to the character. She's superb.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly Natalie Dormer.

Her Margaery may be different from the books but this is mostly due to her position as kind of POV character, she is so much more fleshed out.

I liked Margaery in the books but in the series I like her even more.

And first of all Diana Rigg, fascinating as Olenna, believably dangerous.

Archived