Favourite book/story title?

Galactus

The Stress of Her Regard isn't Tim Powers' best book, but I think it's his best title. The semi-sequel Hide Me Among The Graves is a pretty good title as well.

Life, The Universe and Everything and So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish by Douglas Adams

A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge, I know it's been mentioned a couple of times already but it deserves mentioning again.

The Year of Our War and No Present Like Time by Steph Swainston

Adolf Hitler, My Part In His Downfall, the first volume of Spike Milligan's war memoirs

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, great use of alliteration

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

The Diamond Age, or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson

To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Phillip Jose Farmer

So, this will take a bit of explanation:

吾輩は猫である

(Wagahai wa Neko de aru)

"I am a Cat" by Natsume Souseki

I love the title of this book because of the way it's written. It translates to 'I am a Cat', but the way it is written has a very self-important and condescending tone to it, putting the speaker above his company, which fits the point of the book perfectly. The speaker in the book is an actual cat who sits around all day watching humans (and then makes fun of them for being lazy). It's purposely ironic that the cat looks down on the humans for the things they do while the cat does the same thing.

I should probably explain my own: Den allvarsamma leken means "the serious game" (game in the sense of children playing, not in the sense of chess, or hockey, doesen't have the connotations of rules and such) but it also has a meaning as the word in swedish for "love" is kärlek, that means something like "dear/beloved play/game". It's just a great sentence.

A few others I like:

Against all things ending

Attack of the Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse

Ten Thousand Leagues under the Sea (and I guess, Around the World in Eighty Days)

Repent Harlequin! Said the Tictocman

Have Spacesuit, will Travel

Oh yeah

I have no Mouth and I must Scream

Dammit I just thought of that one too. How about just any title from Dangerous Visions?

The Einstein Intersection By Samuel Delaney and Babel-17 also

Lots of titles I agree with on the list already but I don't think I saw:

The Left Hand of Darkness

For Whom the Bell Tolls was listed and I would add The Sun Also Rises (Hemingway is pretty good with titles IMO)

I remember that as a young kid, before having read most of this stuff (and I have not read all of them now), I was quite enthralled by many of Jules Verne's titles: Five weeks in a balloon, Around the world in 80 days, Two years of Holidays etc. (I also remember being confused at "20000 leagues/miles under the sea", because I knew the oceans were only about 11 kilometres deep at their deepest...)

. (I also remember being confused at "20000 leagues/miles under the sea", because I knew the oceans were only about 11 kilometres deep at their deepest...)

I remember thinking that too. Though I did think how cool it would be to have an ocean 20,000 leagues (100,000 km!) deep, seeing as that is almost ten times the diameter of the Earth (are we talking transdimensional travel? imagine the pressure!).

I also remember nitpicking Around the World in 80 Days on the grounds that Verne has Fogg manage it in 79 (he spends the 80th in a prison cell).

Yes, I was a very strange kid.

Alice Sheldon aka James Tiptree Jr. was particular good at coming up with great titles.

The Boy Who Waterskied to Forever

And I Awoke and Found Me Here on the Cold Hill’s Side

Happiness is a Warm Spaceship

Love is the Plan the Plan is Death

The Psychologist Who Wouldn't Do Awful Things to Rats

Houston, Houston, Do You Read?

I didn't think so far to take the earths diameter into account. In any case, some years later when I actually read some Verne all those obsolete units which were kept in the translation were highly confusing for someone used to the metric system who had just learned to understand feet, inches and (nautic and imperial) miles, because these occured in novels. Now there were in addition toises, leagues and whatnot, pressure units, meridians, often stuff I had not learned in school yet.

I remember thinking that too. Though I did think how cool it would be to have an ocean 20,000 leagues (100,000 km!) deep, seeing as that is almost ten times the diameter of the Earth (are we talking transdimensional travel? imagine the pressure!).

Theoretically a water planet could exist with this sort of depth. However at 20,000 leagues the pressure would ensure any fluids existed in a supercritical state. Depending on the distance from the star it is entirely possible a planet could be temperate at that depth and not "frozen" but the pressure involved would essentially cause a supercritical state of any liquid and by extension this would mean the surface is not clearly defined.

TL:DR - AT this sort of depth liquid H2O ceases to exist in liquid or solid state.

Archived