GRRM: Some fans "have correctly predicted the ending"

Ser Ma'am

I just saw this elsewhere and popped over to the forums to see if it was being discussed yet ... sorry if I missed an already-existing thread. (I searched, I promise.)

So, according to GRRM, at least a few of us have got things all figured out!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/game-of-thrones/11027457/George-RR-Martin-women-beg-me-to-write-more-sex-scenes-for-Game-of-Thrones.html

From the interview:

"I want to surprise and delight my reader and take them in directions they didn't see coming.

"But I can't change the plans. That's one of the reasons I used to read the early fan boards back in the 90s but stopped. One, I didn't have the time, but two is this very issue.
"So many readers were reading the books with so much attention that they were throwing up some theories and while some of those theories were amusing bulls--- and creative, some of the theories are right.
"At least one or two readers had put together the extremely subtle and obscure clues that I'd planted in the books and came to the right solution.
"So what do I do then? Do I change it! I wrestled with that issue and I came to the conclusion that changing it would be a disaster, because the clues were there.
"You can't do that, so I'm just going to go ahead.

And now we guess what old* theories are going to pan out to be true! (*He notes that he stopped reading fan forums back in the '90s, so we're likely dealing with pre-SoS theories.) I'll get the obvious out of the way ...

... Jon Stargaryen, everyone.

And now we guess what old* theories are going to pan out to be true! (*He notes that he stopped reading fan forums back in the '90s, so we're likely dealing with pre-SoS theories.) I'll get the obvious out of the way ...

... Jon Stargaryen, everyone.

Every time someone says Stargaryen, Shaggydog eats another unicorn.

You're distorting a bit. He did not say anything about the ending. He did not say anyone has everything "all figured out". He merely said he has some surprises in store that "one or two" readers have already figured out.

Sorry, you're right. I cribbed my post title from the original headline I saw for this, which I regret to say was Gawker. I will now put on the hat of shame.

Sorry, but I doubt he hasn't seen any Internet forum since 15 years ago. That's just a lie.

I really wouldn't be surprised if he'd avoided it since then — I'm actually shocked he read any in the first place. Many authors deliberately avoid reading that kind of stuff, because they don't want to be held liable if it shows up in their books later.

Hearing somebody say "Hey look! I predicted this stuff 10 years ago!" is one thing, but that's an easily-crossed line into "GRRM IS A JERK WHO PLAGIARIZED MY STORY IDEAS" territory. His lawyers or publishers probably pointed that to him, as well.

I really wouldn't be surprised if he'd avoided it since then — I'm actually shocked he read any in the first place. Many authors deliberately avoid reading that kind of stuff, because they don't want to be held liable if it shows up in their books later.

Of course he has time to read it, when he IS NOT WRITING HIS NOVEL!!!

"women beg me to write more gay sex scenes for Game of Thrones"

JUST ONE, MARTIN. JUST ONE! with griffins and snakes.

Anyway, I think we're extrapolating here. He's saying what he always says, that fans don't have a voice for what he writes. He won't put someone just because it will please (or not) readers.

OTOH, considering we have like sopotohundreds of characters, I dunno why "figure out the ending" means "Jon will sit on the throne". It's not the only theory discussed here or everywhere.

Sorry, but I doubt he hasn't seen any Internet forum since 15 years ago. That's just a lie.

Agree. Theories are everywhere. And even if he hasn't done it himself, his editor or assistants probably have informed him about some of them.

Archived