So who do you think is the new High Septon, and will be bring King's Landing down?

Jenn33

I'm with the theory that Prowling Howling Howland Reed is the High Septon, and yes, the Faith Militant is going to be a very huge factor in who sits the Iron Throne. Will they bring King's Landing down? If someone convinces Mad Queen Cersei that they're important, maybe they'll back the Crown.

I'm with the theory that Prowling Howling Howland Reed is the High Septon, and yes, the Faith Militant is going to be a very huge factor in who sits the Iron Throne. Will they bring King's Landing down? If someone convinces Mad Queen Cersei that they're important, maybe they'll back the Crown.

I agree ... and while I don't exactly have a CLUE as to who the High Septon might be, I do think he working to bring down KL/Westeros ... and especially "mad queen" Cersei who's getting crazier by the day! (Sorry about the mis-spelling in the heading ... I should have said will "He" bring down King's Landing/Westeros.

I mean, I'm sure whoever the HS is will have only the best interests for the Faith, so he could POTENTIALLY bring down Westeros if he doesn't back one of the claimants to the throne. He's not going to be backing Stannis because of his proclaimed faith in R'hollor, so idk.

In terms of the Game of Thrones, the High Septon is definitely a wild card.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

To be fair, no one really knows where the high septon came from. And he seems like his behavior is so sketchy for a supposed septon that he definitely seems like a cult of personality. I find it unlikely someone like him has gotten this much power with no ulterior motive (this book makes me a pessimist).
I do like the idea that Howland Reed is attempting to bring down the Lannisters (although I think it is just as likely he is simply in Greywater Watch). But the nature of his strong beliefs may have motivated him to strike against the queen, and he certainly is a strong enough believer that he could pretend to be a septon.

That being said, another possible theory is a Varys pawn

I prefer the HS to be no one in particular -- not a hidden character nor someone's pawn -- just the product of the misery of the smallfolk unleashed during the war. In that way, he is an entirely new and independent locus of power in KL and likely to throw a wrench into more than a few longstanding plots.

I'm pretty sure they specifically mention that the High Sparrow is a lowborn nobody. His height is probably around average since it isn't mentioned specifically. Howland Reed on the other hand is a nobleman and very short, as most Crannogmen are. Not to mention that it is known that Howland worships the Old Gods.

That being said it is possible that Howland went down from his moving castle, disguised himself as a monk and spent the war building a following as a preacher just so that he could get his followers to install him as High Septon whenever the current High Septon died and then use his position to fuck with the Lannisters and restore the Faith Militant.

I think the point of the Sparrows is to show how the war and general misery is causing increased religious fervor in society. Most of their grievances are perfectly legitimate, the nobles really are corrupt and failing at their duty to protect the smallfolk. However they are still religious fanatics and militant fundamentalists. It is unlikely that they will restrict their definition to just corrupt nobles and those who worship the Red God.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sparrows were at least somewhat inspired by the early Protestants in Europe. Who were fighting an extremely corrupt Catholic Church but were also insanely fundamentalist. Let's not forget that even though Martin Luther had a lot of good points he was also a zealous anti-Semite and that it was protestants, not Catholics, that burned people for being witches. There were also quite a few bloody peasants revolts that were inspired by Protestantism even though Luther himself condemned them.

Archived