Luckiest and unluckiest characters

Game Of Thrones

Well, if we take only the main characters I would say:

Luckiest: LF (It's true that he creates most of his luck, but he's got a little bit of "random" luck as well).

Unluckiest: Theon. (Poor guy...)

And, taking any character in the books I'd have to think about it, and remember. Merrett Frey is undoubtedly a good choice :)

Well, if we take only the main characters I would say:

Luckiest: LF (It's true that he creates most of his luck, but he's got a little bit of "random" luck as well).

Unluckiest: Theon. (Poor guy...)

And, taking any character in the books I'd have to think about it, and remember. Merrett Frey is undoubtedly a good choice :)

Agreed, LF is so lame, his "plans" would work only in a fictional story. To me he is only a plot device, an empty shell which motives are blurred because trying to clear them out would only show how inconsistently unhuman and unrealistic he is.

Theon is absolutely the unluckiest he got his fate written by others since the day he was born.

Agreed, LF is so lame, his "plans" would work only in a fictional story. To me he is only a plot device, an empty shell which motives are blurred because trying to clear them out would only show how inconsistently unhuman and unrealistic he is.

Theon is absolutely the unluckiest he got his fate written by others since the day he was born.

How would LF's plans not work IRL?

luckiest: Dany post Qarth. Although shes pretty lucky to be granted control over three of the most powerful creatures/weapons in the world uniquely because she came from the womb of a specific person; her sale to Drogo,his subsequent death and her treatment at the hands of Viserys balance this out in my opinion. After Qarth,however, she is is just given convenient unearned advantage after convenient unearned advantage.Whats that you need an army to give you authority? Well here are 8000+ of the worlds finest warriors. Oh and dont worry about instilling discipline thats been taken care of too! Now what else do you need guards,advisors from Westeros to keep reader interested in this storyline so far removed and disconnected from all others? Wasn't Jorah enough? No? How about Westeros' current greatest knight( we'll even throw in one more indestructable eunuch warrior with him!). Hmm Now what? Maybe a little practice in governance? Here are three cities led by incompetent fools. You may ask 'wont it take over 8000 warrior to storm three cities?' No! in fact you can take them all without any real fight. That's right! You get to keep your soldiers for Westeros whilst the other contenders for the throne have to engage in battle like peasants. Do you by chance need a fleet to take your now formidable army back to Westeros? I'm sure I can think of something....

unluckiest: Jeyne Poole/theon/anyone who has to meet with Ramsay Bolton.

How would LF's plans not work IRL?

Well, for starters, if you frame someone and he then comes back to be in charge of the city you live during wartime with full mandate to execute anyone even suspected to be traitor, chances are you will be dead very soon. Yet Tyrion, one of the most vindictive guys around, did nothing to LF for the dagger lie.

Luckiest: Arya, every time she's in problem or about to do something that will get her killed, someone shows up to save her. Syrio (saving her from the Lannisters guards), Yoren (hiding her during Ned's execution, keep her safe from the gold cloaks), Jaqen (at Harrenhal), Sandor (saving her from certain death at the Red Wedding).

Unluckiest: Jeyne Poole, unlike Theon or Robb she did nothing to deserve what she got. Craster's daughters also come close.

Luckiest would be Bronn and i don't know, Margaery? for being pretty, cunning in the very young age and well loved by her family (even tough both Lanister and Tyrell are hungry for power but Tyrell has much healthier family relationship IMO)
Unluckiest :Jeyne Poole (Theon comes second)

Lucky: Does Watt count?

"I never win anything," Dolorous Edd complained. "The gods always smiled on Watt, though. When the wildlings knocked him off the Bridge of Skulls, somehow he landed in a nice deep pool of water. How lucky was that, missing all those rocks?"

"Was it a long fall?" Grenn wanted to know. "Did landing in the pool of water save his life?"

"No," said Dolorous Edd. "He was dead already, from that axe in his head. Still, it was pretty lucky, missing the rocks."

Luckiest: In scope, Daenerys (if you start counting after being sold off to a horselord...), specifically her adventures from Quarth to the sack of Meereen. In frequency, probably Arya. She'd be long dead without a lot of luck at every turn.

Unluckiest: Uh... Few characters suffer through absolutely no fault of their own. Jeyne Poole, I guess? Everyone else I can think of who suffered serious setbacks usually had at least some agency in it.

Luckiest: Arya, for reasons already gone into above. Davos, for a beyond miraculous survival at the Blackwater. His sons dying tips the scale a little, but his survival here is, imo, the greatest single stroke of luck in the series. Also, he wasn't executed by Manderly and before that was allowed to pass through the Sisters when they could have easily and understandably sent him to KL.

Unluckiest: Jeyne Poole, hands down.

Well, for starters, if you frame someone and he then comes back to be in charge of the city you live during wartime with full mandate to execute anyone even suspected to be traitor, chances are you will be dead very soon. Yet Tyrion, one of the most vindictive guys around, did nothing to LF for the dagger lie.

To be fair, it was wartime and LF's talents were needed. Tyrion wanted to get back at him, but he was needed. I don't know why he didn't go for him after Stannis was beaten, so I do agree that LF has his share of luck. I just think the amount of luck he has is overstated by some.

Luckiest: Jon, Arya, Dany, Tyrion, Tywin, but most of all, Littlefinger

Unluckiest: Theon, Jeyne, and I guess Merrett could also qualify, as OP pointed out. But the real victims here are the unnamed smallfolk.

Well, actually I like LF's character, it's one of my favorites.

I don't see why you see him as unhuman and unrealistic. He's just scheming and ambitious as hell, but... aren't ambitious a good share of the characters in ASOIAF? The difference is that he is far smarter than most of them... and that he's got that bit of luck necessary for success.

Archived