Were Jaime and Cersei inspired by Flowers In The Attic?

A Highborn Maid

Christopher and Cathy Dollanganger are siblings from the Virginia Andrew's "Flowers" series, who, after being locked up in an attic by their mother and cruel grandmother, begin an incestuous affair. GRR. Martin went one step further by making Jaime and Cersei twins, but the dynamic is similar; both siblings are, to an extent, dependent on each other, the female in each relationship ultimately feels misunderstood and pulls away, only to desperately reach out again, and both sets of siblings hair is constantly described; Martin obsessed over how their hair is red and their beauty is reflected in one another, and Andrews does likewise by emphasizing the "pefect blond hair" of the Dollangangers.

Aside from the incest, something about the Andrew's novels reminds me of ASOIAF; the complex family dynamic and constant vengeance-seeking behavior and characters in general just doing crazy things. I perceive a definite link.

Not a big deal, but was surprised to see not many have draw comparisons.

I don't think so. Cathy loved Corry, Cersei not so much. Christopher sr was a wonderful loving father, that doesn't sound like Tywin, neither Corinne sounds like Joanna. Even if Julian has some similarities with Robert (both were unfaithful, both had depression, both were athletes) his marriage to Cathy doesn't look like the one between Robert and Cersei. Cathy seems to love Chris, Cersei not so much.

• 5 months later...

Christopher and Cathy Dollanganger are siblings from the Virginia Andrew's "Flowers" series, who, after being locked up in an attic by their mother and cruel grandmother, begin an incestuous affair. GRR. Martin went one step further by making Jaime and Cersei twins, but the dynamic is similar; both siblings are, to an extent, dependent on each other, the female in each relationship ultimately feels misunderstood and pulls away, only to desperately reach out again, and both sets of siblings hair is constantly described; Martin obsessed over how their hair is red and their beauty is reflected in one another, and Andrews does likewise by emphasizing the "pefect blond hair" of the Dollangangers.

Aside from the incest, something about the Andrew's novels reminds me of ASOIAF; the complex family dynamic and constant vengeance-seeking behavior and characters in general just doing crazy things. I perceive a definite link.

Not a big deal, but was surprised to see not many have draw comparisons.

Yes, because the idea of impugning the virtue of a Queen by accusing her of incest is a modern idea from a trashy 1979 potboiler. Google 'Anne and George Boleyn.'

Archived