Small Questions v.10087

Jon Weirgaryen

This is not a particular question , but it would be fun to see what people think of it. Who do you think is closest to be the ASOIAF version of Hitler?

That's not a small question. I seem to recall a thread on that. You could always start one.

Yes but shhh...

They are always fun to read I suppose. I should pop some popcorn to prepare ;).

I have my own question actually. Do we know when Bloodraven disappeared from the Wall - what year I mean? And do we know who succeeded him?

They are always fun to read I suppose. I should pop some popcorn to prepare ;).

I have my own question actually. Do we know when Bloodraven disappeared from the Wall - what year I mean? And do we know who succeeded him?

No, we don't know that specifically.

However, we do know that Brynden went to the Wall in 233AC. It stands to reason that he was at the Wall for a few years before being elected as LC at least. And then that he was the LC of the NW for a couple of years, at least, before he disappeared.

We don't know his successor.

We also have no idea that when Lord Commander Qorgyle was chosen, though I vaguely recall some quote about "thirty years ago" or something like that.. I can't find it though, so perhaps I had been thinking about something else instead..

Ser Denys considered a moment. “I have never desired the honor for its own sake. At the last choosing, I stepped aside gratefully when Lord Mormont’s name was offered, just as I had for Lord Qorgyle at the choosing before that.

Denys Mallister was a nominate in both of the elections before Jon's. He is the commander of Shadow Tower for 33 years. Perhaps when he retired from the election in favor of Qorgyle, he raised him to the commander of Shadow Tower when he was elected. In that case, Qorgyle's selection was in 267 or so.

What's an estimated percentage of NW members recruited from prison and those that are selfless volunteers?

Not as high as most people think, I guess :)

I don't think we know the % of volunteers, but Jon does say that the changing the watch to be more proficient at archery was necessary because the watch use to be 1-10 were knights, now its 1-100.

Other than Lannister, Reyne, and Chequoy, are there any other known lion sigils?

Not that I can think of or find an example of in the text no. I don't know if it was just a mistake/for ease or you weren't sure of the name, but chequoy Lion is for House Osgrey.

Really? I must be misremembering the story, I thought Dunk kept referring to Chequoy lands and such?

Chequy Water :)

Eustace Osgrey is the lord of Coldmoat, and his chequy lion flies beside the Webber spider on every tower and wall

The Sworn Sword

reported

I don't think we know the % of volunteers, but Jon does say that the changing the watch to be more proficient at archery was necessary because the watch use to be 1-10 were knights, now its 1-100.

I remember many brothers who were there since they were children. I think unwanted boys or orphans are as much as the criminals among the NW.

It is hard to tell since he abandoned his post during the Battle of Blackwater, before either Tommen or Myrcella became more prominent. As Joffrey's sworn sword, he must've seen them a fair bit, though. He almost certainly despised Joffrey more than anyone save for his brother. Everyone hated Joffrey. He wouldn't necessarily like Tommen or Myrcella, he is probably just indifferent to them.

Although he does seem to appreciate beauty, as is hinted with Sansa, so he may like Myrcella at least a little.

He did mention Tommen had courage and laugh and agree with Myrcella

• Illyrio claims that he was a poor bravo in soiled silks, a green boy in Pentos. Yet he somehow has a statue in his manse that looks expensive and its maker is also named (probably he is some famous artist). In short, that statue should be hell of a costly. How was a poor bravo able to afford such a thing when he was six and ten?

Is it too much a stretch to imagine that Illyrio was a poor bravo before he was sixteen ? And that he became rich with Varys so quickly that he could afford the statue at sixteen ?

Can't quote right now.

"I remember many brothers who were there since they were children. I think unwanted boys or orphans are as much as the criminals among the NW."

Maybe there are unwanted children as you say, but the recruits who arrived at the wall with Jon would for the most part be considered children and yet they were already "criminals"

I think Mormont and Jon both indicate that the watch has become more and more criminal over time as people just don't see joining the watch as noble and there are not nearly as many conflicts with loosers being forced to join up. I also do think its worth mentioning that many of the "criminals" probably are not very bad people. After all stealing food for your family would be considered a serious crime if that food was a deer that "belonged" to that commoners lord.

Can't quote right now.

"I remember many brothers who were there since they were children. I think unwanted boys or orphans are as much as the criminals among the NW."

Maybe there are unwanted children as you say, but the recruits who arrived at the wall with Jon would for the most part be considered children and yet they were already "criminals"

I think Mormont and Jon both indicate that the watch has become more and more criminal over time as people just don't see joining the watch as noble and there are not nearly as many conflicts with loosers being forced to join up. I also do think its worth mentioning that many of the "criminals" probably are not very bad people. After all stealing food for your family would be considered a serious crime if that food was a deer that "belonged" to that commoners lord.

I'd think more about the orphans that Yoren brings along. Those children were voluntary recruits, but orphaned, and were promised frequent meals and a roof over their heads at the Wall.. There will be plenty of orphans who will travel along with such a wandering crow.

Archived