[Spoilers ADWD] Pink letter. Jon Snow. Night's watch.

BigDickPodrick

So we know that Jon Snow gets the pink letter from "Ramsay" and moves to immediately acts on it. Jon wants to take a force of fighting men south and march winterfell and the boltons. Then, a few moments later he gets stabbed. Stabbed alot and presumed dead.

My question is not will Jon live or what happens to him, no? My question is, "Why?" "WHY would they assassinate him then and there like that" the timeline doesn't add up for me. The pink letter, written by Ramsay or whoever really did write, they threaten the night's watch. So Jon is just and not breaking any vows by marching south on winterall to attack the forces there before then march on the wall. I believe Jon was justified. Why was he stabbed really?

My take on the events at the wall are that it's probably a culmination of events with the older BB not appreciating Jon's admission of the Wildlings to the wall & some of his other decisions leading up this one & it might have been hastily planned knee jerk reaction.

Although I've heard theories that range from BR controlling members of the NW (warging), the wildlings themselves, Stannis's men, Melisandre, lots of theories, I'm sure you will get some good answers.

Welcome :cheers:

My take on the events at the wall are that it's probably a culmination of events with the older BB not appreciating Jon's admission of the Wildlings to the wall & some of his other decisions leading up this one & it might have been hastily planned knee jerk reaction.

Although I've heard theories that range from BR controlling members of the NW (warging), the wildlings themselves, Stannis's men, Melisandre, lots of theories, I'm sure you will get some good answers.

Welcome :cheers:

But everything he has done has been to defend the realms of men...

But everything he has done has been to defend the realms of men...

Oh I agree, I totally get it, I've even posted my opinion that he does not intend to break his vows as I believe he fully intends to die or return to the NW however many disagree with my opinion, you will find lots of opinions here if nothing else.

I don't think Jon Snow is that green boy anymore that would get upset by being called a Bastard. It's been a long time and a lot has changed since Tyrion taught him the lesson not to let that hurt him. When Jon fought Mance/rattleshirt in the training yard i didnt have the impression at all that John lost his cool. Rattleshirt lost his cool and tried to kill Jon, and had to be detained, but Jon just shrugged it off and had him go on his way. As Jon later thought, better to face the stronger opponent in the yard before in the battlefield (foreshadow?). This also brings up that Mance was pissed enough and hates Jon enough to really want to kill him in that fight, so perhaps he does have something more sinister in mind for Jon. But Jon is likely angry about the direct threat to his life that ramsay makes and the presumptuousness of the demands, not about being called Bastard. If Jon takes that letter at face value he doesnt really have a choice. Take the fight to Ramsay or let him come to the wall. Castle black really doesn't seem up to the task of defending against a host like bolton's from the south, so basically Jon must attack.

My thoughts:

Marsh and the others are afraid of the Iron Throne and the Lannisters. We even hear them talk about it before the election. Later, Marsh says that they need to make sure they choose the "winning side" and not look like they are helping Stannis because it would mean the end for the Watch.

Bolton is working for the Lannisters. They made him warden of the North. Jon planning to attack them surely made Marsh and the others panic, because they are worried that the Iron Throne will destroy them when they find out what Jon did- so they try to kill him, even with the threat of the Wildlings. Hence "for the watch".

Archived