The Tattered prince (and ser Baristtan)

Leofrid

• 5 months later...

I think the Tattered Prince is a lot more dangerous than he seems..I also think he is an enemy of Illyrio. I always thought since the moment i heard he wanted Pentos and was chosen as a Prince/Sacrifice that he was somehow ousted by Illyrio. Quentins arc seems a little pointless but i thought it was as much as to introduce The Tattered Prince as meeting Dany and getting his offer refused. I closed the book and rolled my eyes after realizing she still wasn't coming back to Westeros.

[spoiler]Lets not forget in the WOW Arianne sample chapter Teora Toland told Arianne that she dreamed of Dragons Dancing...."They were dancing. In my dream. And everywhere the dragons danced the people died." It could be while Dany is MIA that her Dragon(s) are stolen and end up on different sides?[/spoiler]

I hope this is a joke.

Re:  the "Quentyn is Alive / Tatters is Dead" Theory

As far as I know, the idea was first proposed here:
http://asoiaf.wester...cceed-spoilers/

A better development of the theory is here:
http://asoiaf.wester...-adwd-spoilers/

Some further discussion here includes some discussion, pro and con, from released chapters of Book 6: http://asoiaf.wester...-adwd-spoilers/

This is not to be confused another theory about the Quentyn sent by Doran being a changeling, and that the real Quentyn is alive even though the Quentyn we know is or may be dead. If I find that theory, I'll edit this post to add a link. 

The tattered Prince I suspect has had past dealings with Illyrio that did not end well for him. Also, if that is true, he might know and confirm for Selmy if he believes him or to us the readers that Aegon, who I suspect is Illyrio's son and through his dead mother, illyrio's dead wife, is a decendent of the Blackfyre line. Barristan will not leave Dany's service unless he does so to prevent her doing something that her insane father would have or even tried to do.

I know right it's almost comical. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll likely die in tWoW to, but I think dieing in the Second Dance is a far more likely prospect than dieing in Meereen.

I would love to see his final battle mirror the Trident or one of Robert's rebellion battles. Him fighting with Aegon's KG, Barristan cuts down Duck or JonCon...idk but he is the artist Jaime described painting with only the color red. Then Barristan crosses swords with Aegon and sees the Silver hair and Violet eyes and for a moment is shocked/questioning himself and wondering if he is the true heir, he failed Rhaegar - he can't kill his son. This one moment of lacking focus leads to him getting stabbed by an unnamed foot soldier and the Great Barristan the Bold goes down.

Gerion Lannister. 

Although a cool idea, or that he is some lost Targ, he has a backstory. And why the obsession with Pentos if he is one of those people? I just don't follow these speculations. 

GRRM is creating a rich world and people want to keep minimizing it to a King's Landing-centric world. To the rest of Planetos, Westeros is a backwoods hellhole. 

Fair bet, and not one I'll take.   :laugh:

One point, well, several.  I have doubts Vicy or anyone else will have the requisite number of ships to transport Dany's growing army, plau any freedmen followers, if she should chose to take them.  A substantial host will be left behind, where is a mater of debate and, truthfully, only Martin knows Dany's launching point.  I favor Volantis.  Regardless, of the forces left behind, a significant portion can/likely be given to Tatters in his quests to reclaim his realm.  A theme Dany would have sympathy for, as it mirror's her own.  Depending on terms, alliance probable, vassel state to Dany possible.  Tatters marches half the length of Essos and clears out Pentos of Magisters, which we, the readers, find out after the BotD 2.0.  

<sighs>  We, the reader, will find out in, oh, a decade or so, when Dream is published.   :crying:

Somehow I think Braavos is going to come to Dany's aid. They are hardcore anti-slavery. 

Although a cool idea, or that he is some lost Targ, he has a backstory. And why the obsession with Pentos if he is one of those people? I just don't follow these speculations. 

my original claim was based on the actual way he speaks, the few lines he does have.

he is very polished, intelligent, and mannerly.  plus, the "sad eyes" comment, think that was used for Barristan as well.

his backstory picks up 30 years before the events of the series and he is around 70 years of age at this point.

so where was he from birth to age 40? 

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow I think Braavos is going to come to Dany's aid. They are hardcore anti-slavery. 

Sympathies, maybe.  She's still a Targ of ancient Valyrian blood, and Braavos doesn't seem to forget their founding, rather the reasons why.

Plus simple logistics... it's a bloody long way from Meereen to Bravos.

i agree that Barristan and Ned are cut from the same cloth and two guys very very similar but in different circumstances.

Obviously Barristan Selmy can die because basically everyone has died, and will die, so why not him - I get that, it's certainly possible.  However, I think Ser Barristan is not only one of the best characters in the  entire story/collection of stories, he's going to be a main part of the story and there is plenty story left.

I would also argue that he has recently realized he's in a transitional period - he was one of the most feared men on a battlefield and he "earned his living" by his sword and fighting skills.  Now, he has got to earn his living LEADING the men with the swords - and while I know he's surely still skilled, it's his brain and strategy/experience that will make or break the battle/battles, not his sword.

And for the record, I would absolutely and completely knock either D&D the freak out if I passed them in the street for killing him off in such a terriblly useless manner in the show.  GRRM surely will not want to suffer the same consequences so he will not kill off Ser Barristan.  Because, it would anger me, anger me deeply.  And this is not something his grace GRRM wants to do.  So we're all good, I'm sure.

Sympathies, maybe.  She's still a Targ of ancient Valyrian blood, and Braavos doesn't seem to forget their founding, rather the reasons why.

Plus simple logistics... it's a bloody long way from Meereen to Bravos.

They certainly have problems with the ancient Valyrian way of life. I don't think Dany is a good example of that. I think Braavos comes into play on her side one way or another. But yes, it is a hell of a long way away. 

Braavos has no ill-will towards the Targaryans -- Danny lived there quite safely for years and the Sea Lord witnesses the secret pact between The White Bull and Doran.  That potentially gets you into trouble with Robert Baratheon.  

Previously, the Targaryans were the lords of the 7 kingdoms -- a notably anti-slavery location (though the difference between serf and slave is not very large, admittedly).  Going back further than that, when the Targaryans only ruled Dragonstone after the Doom, they didn't have poor relations with the Bravosi either and in fact their geopolitical interests aligned in keeping Volantis from picking up where Valyria left off.  Going back further than that, the Bravosi compensated the Valyrians for the ships (but not the slaves) that were liberated in the slave revolt that led to the cities' founding.  

The Faceless Men might have a different view point on the matter, but nothing seems to say one way or another.  The Targaryans don't seem to run afoul of their ideology in any particular way, though I suppose someone might be able to buy their services to eliminate a particular Targaryan.  

Exactly. I doubt that Dany will be very happy with Selmy as she had previously denied the Tattered Prince Pentos earlier in the book. I don't think Dany will meet back up with her Army till they get to Pentos. She is going to go through the Great Grass Sea and Vaes Dothrak, her army will sail there from Meereen. If her Army gets there first, she may very well find Pentos sacked and the TP in control. 

I really think she will end up in Volantis. The common folk are really heated up and passionate about her. And it seemed like a pretty significant plot point in the book.

The only reason Barristan has POV chapters is because he is the only character with a deep backstory present in meereen at the time. If he dies during the battle it will be serving his queen. He has mentioned feeling regretful that he outlived so many kings, so to die for Dany would be honourable, and during battle as well. With 3 POV characters in Meereen Vic has a lot to do it seems, and if Tyrion dies I will be pissed, so can we just agree the dude is going to kick the bucket in TWoW?

Archived