What is everyone's favourite aSoIaF quote?

Lee Daly

"The stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and underneath the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I'm not dead either."

"There is power in a living wood."

Agree

I'm not totally sure of my favourite quote at this point. it'd likely be a line or two from theon's description of ramsay & jeyne's eerie wedding.

brought this thread back because I managed to find the paragraph recently & wanted to quote it in all it's spooky glory.

"The mists were so thick that only the nearest trees were visible; beyond them stood tall shadows & faint lights. Candles flickered beside the wandering path & back amongst the trees, pale fireflies floating in a warm grey soup. It felt like some strange underworld, some timeless place between the worlds, where the damned wandered mournfully for a time before finding their way down to whatever hell their sins had earned them."

-theon ADWD

by far my favourite passage in the entire series & I'm not even a theon fan.

“Woman?” She chuckled. “Is that meant to insult me? I would return the slap, if I took you for a man.”

- Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, the Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, khaleesi to Drogo’s riders, and queen of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.”

ETA:

You know I'll probably think of a Dany quote write it down then think of another dany quote and say no that's my favourite!

So every Dany quote is my favourite.

The speech she makes before she walks into the pyre is amazing.

Also : Elia & her children have waited long for justice. But this day they shall have it." -Oberyn Martell

*tips hat to dornish vinegar*

Indeed, it is.

“You will be my khalasar,” she told them. “I see the faces of slaves. I free you. Take off your collars. Go if you wish, no one shall harm you. If you stay, it will be as brothers and sisters, husbands and wives.” The black eyes watched her, wary, expressionless. “I see the children, women, the wrinkled faces of the aged. I was a child yesterday. Today I am a woman. Tomorrow I will be old. To each of you I say, give me your hands and your hearts, and there will always be a place for you.”

- Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, the Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, khaleesi to Drogo’s riders, and queen of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.”

"I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations. But only starting. I mean to scour that court clean. As Robert should have done after the Trident."

-Stannis Baratheon

So many great quotes. It's hard to choose an absolute favorite... but I guess the closest for me would be this small, offhand quip:

Danaerys Targaryen: Viserys says he could sweep the Seven Kingdoms with ten thousand Dothraki screamers.

Jorah Mormont: [snort] Viserys couldn't sweep a stable with ten thousand brooms.

Archived