"The Winds of Winter" Possible POVs

srini

Naw. Do we know if we're actually going to see the Isle of Faces, as in travel there, or are we going to hear someone tell about it. The latter would be Howland Reed's part.

People would assume Howland is the one to tell Jon where he came from, but he might know already. While Howland cold have a bit more to tell about that, something he'd definitely know about is the Isle, and perhaps the pact. His children did swear a very strange oath, there.

I don't think JonCon will die. Arianne will not be leading battles so she and JonCon POVs can exist together. Given that JonCon caught a deadly disease, I think he will stay alive more than anticipated.

Arianne can learn battle outcomes and details without leading armies like Daenerys,Catelyn and Sansa have already done as POVs.

I don't think JonCon will die. Arianne will not be leading battles so she and JonCon POVs can exist together. Given that JonCon caught a deadly disease, I think he will stay alive more than anticipated.

Agree. Mostly are so certain he will die that he probably won't. It's more likely he survives the book to meet the OtherJon in the next one.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like Tyene Sand to be a viewpoint for a couple of chapters in the next novel.

I think that 'The Winds of Winter' will be quite Wall-lite. Melisandre will give us a viewpoint throughout the novel, but developing the threat gradually and off stage would make the final act of the next novel much more dramatic.

• 1 month later...

POV who l expect to be in TWOW:

Aeron

Victarion

Theon

Joncon

Barristan

Cersei

Davos

Brienne

Arya

Arianne

Asha

Melisandre

Jaime

Tyrion

Sansa

Daenerys

Bran

Samwell

maybe Areo Hotah as well.

I'm seeing 70-76 chapters minus Prologue/Epilogue.

My opinion:

Highly Possible POVs:

Daenerys Targaryen
Bran Stark
Jon Connington
Jaime Lannister
Davos Seaworth
Nymeria Sand
Jon Snow (or Val)

POVs I’m hoping for (both new and old ones):

Howland Reed
Samwell Tarly
Cersei Lannister
Melisandre (she’s interesting)
Tyene Sand

I don't think Areo Hotah will come return as a POV. I think Arianne will be Dorne's main POV now, after she returns from meeting Aegon. Then she will work together closely with her father. She will be more close to him than Areo.

Obvious/known POVs:

Tyrion

Arianne

Theon

Barristan Selmy (though I wouldn't be surprised if he dies during TWOW)

Aeron

Victarion

Arya

Sansa (no sample chapter but based on GRRM's comments she definitely is a POV)

So if we have all of the above (8) we only need 4 or 5 more to take it to 12/13 POVs in total... any more and the story would be too bitty and start to lose cohesion.

Of course we might get a couple of POVs bumped off fairly early on; I would imagine either Barristan or Victarion (or both) as with the necessary addition of Daenarys, we would have 5 POVs in Essos alone (including Arya on her lonesome in Braavos)! This makes me think Daenarys can't be heading back to Meereen any time soon or there's simply too many POVs going on in one place... It's also possible that Tyrion won't hang around in Slavers Bay for too long either, although there has to be a key character in place to keep track of what happens with Rhaegal and Viserion. (Although this could also be Victarion, of course).

As for Arya - surely it's high time her story took her back to Westeros? There's so many areas there to cover! Maybe she can hitch a ride to KL with Harys Swyft?

I suspect Cersei's continuing descent into lunacy will be key to understanding the comings and goings in KL, (including the machinations of Tyene and Nymeria - ironically narrated, seeing as we know their true intentions). If Aegon invades KL then Cersei's viewpoint doesn't feel sufficient - but it might well have to be... I suspect this safeguards Cersei's survival for another book, at least.

We obviously need eyes at the Wall and in view of her elevation to POV status Melissandre is a good bet. Not sure about Jon... (maybe a one-off Ghost chapter?) but his outcome can be relayed via Melissandre, and if Jon returns (hopefully so!) he could be the first post-prologue POV in ADOS. However, I wonder if we get someone else arrive at the Wall amidst the chaotic aftermath of Jon's assassination... it depends on who carries the Northern storyline(s). There are effectively (at least) three ongoing plotlines: the Wall, Hardhome (Skagos) and Winterfell. It'd be good to get Davos's adventures in Skagos and his journey back to the mainland with Rickon (and Osha). His POV might also offer invaluable insight into what has been happening at Hardhome and that related area. His journey might well take him to the Wall and HE becomes the key POV character - made all the more interesting because he clashes with Melissandre.

We know Theon is already a POV character (bad news potentially for Asha, hopefully not fatally) and in situ close to Winterfell - so I bet he survives and his role is to cover what happens with Stannis/the Boltons/Mance etc. He's also been set up as a possible conduit for Bran/the Winterfell Weirwood tree, so he might become invaluable, most particularly as I think Bran's direct POV could be dropped in TWOW (but not ADOS).

Unless Areo Hotah is wheeled out as a POV any focus on Dorne will likely stem from Arianne (who we already know is a viewpoint character). So either Aegon & co head to Dorne or her mission fails and she returns. Alternatively there is no need for a direct POV in Dorne at this juncture and Arianne ends up in KL or even Highgarden (I feel sure the The Reach - and Willas Tyrell - will become more of a focus sometime soon). However, the most likely scenario is that Arianne becomes the key POV in (F)Aegon's storyline. I don't think it will be JonCon - too many POVs already, and the man is set to die at some stage too!

I reckon Samwell might be deployed as a POV to cover Oldtown, (Sarella, Pate, the Glass Candles, the horn of Joruman if it is relevant, and possibly to offer a viewpoint on Euron if there is an invasion from that quarter). Samwell is another character who could wind up in Highgarden. Sam is potentially the key POV in the South of the realm. The question is if that area will be important in TWOW or not... I suspect, however, that the inclusion of Aeron's POV on the Iron Islands ultimately ties into Oldtown and The Reach.

We already have Sansa in the Vale (covered), which that leaves Jamie and Brienne in the Riverlands. In view of how their stories panned out in AFFC/ADWD one would expect them to be POVs but I'm not so sure... There's already far too many POVs going on! I'm beginning to see why TWOW is taking GRRM such a long time to write - handling so many divergent storylines and characters must be a nightmare!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived