Unpopular opinion - Peter Dinklage is one of the worst actors in the series.

Arrogant Prince

Claiming my post is "so far removed from truth" yet providing no input on how it is so.

I said one of, not the worst. Why did I only mention Dinklage? Well, he's the only one who receives any praise for the acting in the series, from what I've seen. Oh, and don't worry, the bratty dragon girl and the male Kirsten Stewart are lumped in the same bunch.

So lets somewhat agree with all of my points but disagree with the outcome, okay...

Once again, 0 depth, just a vapid brushing off as "trolling". (sigh)

I'm still waiting to know what a "medieval" accent is.

I think we can all agree that the Emmys are just pandering garbage. It's a joke that Dinklage keeps getting nominated when people like Charles Dance or Jack Gleeson get systematically ignored.

But it's quite a leap to go from there to "Dinklage sucks, omg!"

I think we can all agree that the Emmys are just pandering garbage. It's a joke that Dinklage keeps getting nominated when people like Charles Dance or Jack Gleeson get systematically ignored.

But it's quite a leap to go from there to "Dinklage sucks, omg!"

While Jack Gleeson is a great actor, his character is too one-dimensional for any awards. I would say that Kit Harington has the problem the other way.

Charles Dance, I completely agree.

Medievel accent = oldish britisch accent, I suppose?

Well, I think very few of the folks on this forum are really qualified to seriously judge acting performances (least of all myself), but to most here Peter just seems convincing as Tyrion.

I agree he may be a bit hyped, especially compared to other actors like Alfie Allen or the (in my humble oppinion) somewhat underrated Kit Harrington as Jon (probably one of the most difficult roles to play in earlier seasons, given the high amount of just-internal monoluge in the books), but it's still quite far-fetched to call him "bad".

Personally, I think Gleeson deserved to win over Peter Dinklage, but that's me.

Peter is a above average actor and he has given good material to work with. People often forget that the Emmys, GG or the Oscars don't reward the "best actor" but the "best performance of [year]". In Dinklage's case, his scenes during the first season (or second? Can't remember) granted him a very deserved award.

And that's because Tyrion is a great character, and even though he has been a bit "white-washed" in the show, he's still one of the most interesting and more recognisible by fans, because he's the outcast we're suppose to cheer for.

The rest of the actors are very good too. Kit has really improved and I think he carried season 4 on his shoulders, when the rest of the season was simple and illogical (except Pascal). And Emilia is often given ridiculous scenes and lines to work with. From "where are my dragons?" to her constantly shouted epic one-liners that doesn't make her look like a real character but some kind of walking poster girl from epic movies. Which is bad because Emilia can act and is also very sweet.

If we're going to get into accents, and I agree that Dinklage's accent can be a bit wobbly at times, then we should really be wondering what the hell Aiden Gillen's accent is supposed to be.

Every time he's on screen I'm distracted by wondering what accent he's going for.

And it changes from one minute to the next! :ohwell:

Medievel accent = oldish britisch accent, I suppose?

Well, I think very few of the folks on this forum are really qualified to seriously judge acting performances (least of all myself), but to most here Peter just seems convincing as Tyrion.

I agree he may be a bit hyped, especially compared to other actors like Alfie Allen or the (in my humble oppinion) somewhat underrated Kit Harrington as Jon (probably one of the most difficult roles to play in earlier seasons, given the high amount of just-internal monoluge in the books), but it's still quite far-fetched to call him "bad".

I'm hitting the imaginary LIKE button for the Kit comment. The dude is underrated.

As for Peter, yeah...I don't really have anything to say.

I think it's really unfortunate how many people on this forum aren't capable of accepting the fact that we all have different opinions of the actors and whether they are convincing in their respective roles. Just because one person doesn't buy someone's performance, while most do, it doesn't make him or her wrong, crazy, stupid, or a troll. These forums would be much more enjoyable if people showed a little bit more respect and maturity.

Now that I've said that, I do like Peter Dinklage for the most part, but I do think his performance is flawed. He's terrific in the lighter moments but loses me at times, most notably his monologue at the trial. However, that definitely doesn't make him the worst actor in the series.

Personally, I think Gleeson deserved to win over Peter Dinklage, but that's me.

Peter is a above average actor and he has given good material to work with. People often forget that the Emmys, GG or the Oscars don't reward the "best actor" but the "best performance of [year]". In Dinklage's case, his scenes during the first season (or second? Can't remember) granted him a very deserved award.

And that's because Tyrion is a great character, and even though he has been a bit "white-washed" in the show, he's still one of the most interesting and more recognisible by fans, because he's the outcast we're suppose to cheer for.

The rest of the actors are very good too. Kit has really improved and I think he carried season 4 on his shoulders, when the rest of the season was simple and illogical (except Pascal). And Emilia is often given ridiculous scenes and lines to work with. From "where are my dragons?" to her constantly shouted epic one-liners that doesn't make her look like a real character but some kind of walking poster girl from epic movies. Which is bad because Emilia can act and is also very sweet.

I agree that Kit really took the burden of season 4 on his shoulders, what with Tyrion unable to do much except talk in his cell and Emilia just not being very good this season. I have a feeling it will be more like that next season, as Jon becomes more prominent and Tyrion and Dany less so. But unless we really see a big depth to Jin Snow's role, I don't see him ever being nominated for any awards because voters like "atypical characters"...Jon Snow really isn't that type of character. I could be proved wrong, but it's just how I see it. That's why Dinklage gets nominated year after year.

Claiming my post is "so far removed from truth" yet providing no input on how it is so.

I said one of, not the worst. Why did I only mention Dinklage? Well, he's the only one who receives any praise for the acting in the series, from what I've seen. Oh, and don't worry, the bratty dragon girl and the male Kirsten Stewart are lumped in the same bunch.

So lets somewhat agree with all of my points but disagree with the outcome, okay...

Once again, 0 depth, just a vapid brushing off as "trolling". (sigh)

I, in no way, agreed with all of your points chief. Just that his accent isn't great....

I wholeheartedly disagree with everything else you posted.

What's wrong with Dinklage's accent people? I'm not a native speaker so to me most accents sound mostly the same. I know for sure that I recognize the accent that Rory McCann speaks in interviews (Scottish I think) and the one Londoners (Most of them at least?) speak but those are the only accents I've noticed to be recognizable. Of course I also recognize a finnish accent too. That's just way too easy to recognize (Especially as I'm from Finland, and half the people speaking English here have a really strong accent).

Oh, an also, Dinklage is a great actor in my opinion. I've never had any problems with his performance.

What's wrong with Dinklage's accent people? I'm not a native speaker so to me most accents sound mostly the same. I know for sure that I recognize the accent that Rory McCann speaks in interviews (Scottish I think) and the one Londoners (Most of them at least?) speak but those are the only accents I've noticed to be recognizable. Of course I also recognize a finnish accent too. That's just way too easy to recognize (Especially as I'm from Finland, and half the people speaking English here have a really strong accent).

Oh, an also, Dinklage is a great actor in my opinion. I've never had any problems with his performance.

His American accent slips through at times, or he overpronunciates things. It's not a great accent, but I got over it long ago.

His American accent is present most of the time. And Sj4iy is right, he over-punctuates sometimes. The one American I've seen who can speak in a perfect British accent is Felix (Canadian I think) in Orphan Black.

It wouldn't be jarring otherwise. It's just that the rest of the people have distinctly British accents. Even though we can hear Tywin and his brood sound different from Ned and others, Peter is the one that's really "out there." Ever since it's been pointed out I've started noticing Littlefinger's accent.

I don't really enjoy Dinklage and his performances that much but some of that I know is because I don't really enjoy show Tyrion the way I do book Tyrion, some of his speech patterns put me off a bit as well, but he's by no means a bad actor to me. Kit Harrington bothers me more, I've never been Jon Snow's biggest fan in the books but weirdly on the show I have no opinion on Jon Snow at all KH doesn't make me root for him or hate him I just find him boring and it takes me out of the wall stuff quite badly..

I really liked Jack Gleeson as well despite him playing a rather one dimensional character he still made Joffry seem real to me somehow despite how over the top Joffrey can be, he still kept that boyishness there as well I don't think Emilia Clake is helped in anyway by the way Daenerys. Charles Dance is always magnificent to me in anything he's in. I loved Michele Fairley as well despite the fact she wasn't playing the Catelyn I had been expecting, she acted all her big scenes well and her RW stuff was wonderful to me.

I don't really think anyone on the show is bad really, some are better than others but no one seems like they're out and out awful. I do however get a bit distracted by characters who look nothing like I pictured them, or when they whitewash people like Tyrion or change things with Cersei or Catelyn. I also found Robb and his love story very tiresome but that was less about the acting and more about me thinking it was all stupid and young adult novel writing.

I'm never bothered by the accent (well, very rarely like with for example Hilary Swank in Black Dahlia) so I don't notice stuff like this. Peter is a very good actor but I found his performance during trial to be ridiculously exaggerated. He is superb in more subtle moments, though.

Actually I think it's Peter Dinklage's performance is one of the things that makes the show viewers love him so much. I'm not a fan of the character, and I think he's extremely over-rated, but I don't agree that Peter is a bad actor. I think he's as good an actor as the rest of them. Then again, I also don't agree with people whenever they say Emilia is a bad actress. I think she gives a great performance as Daenerys, just as Peter does Tyrion.

Archived