High Sparrow vs Dany

NorthernXY

It's never mentioned that while Varys liked Cersei running the kingdom into the ground. He doesn't realize she inadvertently threw a huge wrench into his and Dany's plans.

The Faith of the Seven doesn't allow incest and only allowed it because the Targaryens had dragons. fAegon, is only one generation away from an incestuous marriage and Dany is the product of one. The new High Sparrow now has a growing army and isn't likely to welcome back a king or queen who is an abomination and above the laws of the faith.

Yes, Dany has dragons, which was the reason they allowed the Targaryens to be above the laws of the faith, but after Aegon the Conqueror died, they immediately rose up against the crown. The comeback of the Targaryens would only mean less power the faith would have.

When/if Dany ever shows up in Westeros, do you think the High Sparrow is likely to welcome her with open arms or go to war with her?

Of course he'll oppose her. She's a woman, she's a heathen, she's a slaver, she's a foreigner.

Nevertheless, Varys doesn't care one whiff for Dany, except as a tool to get Aegon on the throne. And Aegon will be the Faith's poster boy. He fits the image of the perfect Westerosi prince: Educated by a Septa, a (sort of) Maester, a knight and raised by a Lord. Martial, male, young, goodlooking. The Faith will love him.

Of course he'll oppose her. She's a woman, she's a heathen, she's a slaver, she's a foreigner.

Nevertheless, Varys doesn't care one whiff for Dany, except as a tool to get Aegon on the throne. And Aegon will be the Faith's poster boy. He fits the image of the perfect Westerosi prince: Educated by a Septa, a (sort of) Maester, a knight and raised by a Lord. Martial, male, young, goodlooking. The Faith will love him.

This. And since him marrying Dany is highly unlikely (I think), then he won't be commiting incest, to the relief of the Faith

The High Sparrow will have thrown in with Aegon by the time Dany lands. Then there's this stuff:

The propaganda won't do her any good.

The High Sparrow is only do his job so far and good for him. But once he signs up with Aegon... can't say I'll feel bad if/when Dany wants to wage war on all of them.

I think people are quick to draw conclusions. HS is populist to the boot. Daenerys too unintentionally is borderline populist. They might see eye to eye on many levels. ...unless the faith wants as I suspect a complete theocratic state.

The High Sparrow wants someone relatively obedient, which rules out Daenerys, Euron and Stannis. Tommen is currently his best option, but that will change as soon as Cersei can reclaim power. Aegon is his best option after that.

Moreover, whilst Dany is a follower of the Seven, I think being proclaimed the saviour of R'hllor will also complicate matters.

When/if Dany ever shows up in Westeros, do you think the High Sparrow is likely to welcome her with open arms or go to war with her?

I think he would go to war against her. Not because of incest alone, as much as because of her being all those other things - a general affront to Andal morality, who may or may not be coming in with all sorts of heathen beliefs.

Is she? Viserys, yes. But Dany actually believes more in the Dothraki religion than in the Seven.

She thinks of herself as a follower of the Seven, but she is open to other religions. She believes in the power of the Great Stallion, but she also believes in the power of the gods of Ghis.

Dany said a quick prayer, begging the Warrior for courage and the Dothraki horse god for strength. She made herself walk forward.

The way I see it is that Dany is completely open to the religions of others, and tends to associate the Faith of the Seven with Westeros itself. But the text itself at least indicates her belief in the Faith of the Seven, even if that is not the limit of her religious beliefs.

I don't see it differently to, say, the Stark children being followers of both the old gods and the new.

She thinks of herself as a follower of the Seven, but she is open to other religions. She believes in the power of the Great Stallion, but she also believes in the power of the gods of Ghis.

The way I see it is that Dany is completely open to the religions of others, and tends to associate the Faith of the Seven with Westeros itself. But the text itself at least indicates her belief in the Faith of the Seven, even if that is not the limit of her religious beliefs.

I don't see it differently to, say, the Stark children being followers of both the old gods and the new.

Most importantly, I think, and like almost all the main characters in the books, religion means very little to her.

I'd feel a little more comfortable predicting their meeting if I felt a little more comfortable about what the High Sparrow's agenda actually is. I've got a pretty strong feeling that he's got some cards up his sleeve.

:agree: . The question is, what will happen to the HS in the upcoming books, I don't see him lasting long.

:agree: . The question is, what will happen to the HS in the upcoming books, I don't see him lasting long.

I don't see him dying in the short term. GRRM's story are bloody but it's not true anyone can die at any time. Characters still have to play their parts. The High Septon is all but immune to death until he's shown a few more of his hole cards.

If Dany were to win the iron throne (which i believe is grrm's intent) and the HS is still alive. would she give a shit what he thought, or did to oppose her? she would have atleast the army she has now, whoever else joins her, the Dragons...probably the support of the KL population...

he would have weaklings like Lancel, I cant think of anyone else of note to join the warriors sons yet? so what could he actually do to oppose her?

Because she thinks way more about that mythology.

Dany isn't particularly religious by any means, but if she thinks about religion, it's in context to Drogo and the Dothraki beliefs.

True. The "starry khalasar" and all that.

But yeah, she's not very religious. She seems undecided. Not agnostic but... open? She's very curious about different faiths but she doesn't have one of her own. I think the only religion she's viewed with some distaste is R'hllor/the Great Other. Will be very interesting to see what happens if/when she meets Moqorro.

True. The "starry khalasar" and all that.

But yeah, she's not very religious. She seems undecided. Not agnostic but... open?

She is very "Braavosian" (yes, I just made that up) about religion. (i.e. open to everything.)

Also, although the Red Priests are proclaiming her AAR, she herself thinks the Red Priests' religion is not something she would like (the eternally at war thing)

If Dany were to win the iron throne (which i believe is grrm's intent) and the HS is still alive. would she give a shit what he thought, or did to oppose her? she would have atleast the army she has now, whoever else joins her, the Dragons...probably the support of the KL population...

he would have weaklings like Lancel, I cant think of anyone else of note to join the warriors sons yet? so what could he actually do to oppose her?

A military campaign against the High Sparrow is the last thing she would want. I mean yeah, she'd probably "win," but she'd also "lose" just by fighting.

Archived