I must name my dog

Sivin

Treatment for dog cancers is very expensive.

Maybe Ixodes will show up, or maybe you can pm him? He can give detailed information.

Just a biopsy shouldn't [correct Freudian slip] be too expensive ie a $150? Really don't know....

ETA: Cancer treatments are just as extensive as for people. A lot is pretty experimental. Most people just put the dog down, since they want to avoid suffering.

It all depends on the type of cancer and location. Some cancers can be cured with surgery, some cancers cannot. Additional medications or treatments (chemotherapy, radiation, etc) may be able to provide remission but generally cannot cure the type of malignant cancers dogs tend to develop. The only generalities I can make are 1) it is likely to be costly (regardless) and 2) if the lungs are involved or the tumor is spreading to the lungs a cure is highly unlikely.

So anyone know how much X-rays, biopsies, and/or treatment for dog cancer costs? Is treatment for dog cancer even a thing?

Shit. Sorry to hear that. All I can tell you is that my younger sister coughed over around $16,000 for rounds of chemo and associated care for her beloved Welsh Corgi, only to have him succumb to some other ailment after they thought he was out of the woods.

:grouphug:

I hate to say it, 'cause you seem like a nice kid. But maybe you need to just let this one go. Let her get taken care of by the pound, and if they have to put her down they can do it much easier and nicer than you can.

These are questions for your vet, not the internet.

Well, seeing as how I've been on this board a long time and feel that I can reasonably trust the answers of the people here, I felt comfortable asking a very general question late at night when I could not call my vet. Thanks.

On another note, seeing as how I've kinda given a commitment on how this would play out, this is my new dog. She is a 2 year old stray, but because she had a microchip, the shelter knew her name was Gypsy (though somehow could not get into contact with the previous owner). I was going to try and get her to respond to a new name, but it's kind of growing on me... Gypsy.

She's very nice and energetic, but I'm afraid she's been mistreated because every time I reach out to pet her she flinches back. She lets me pet her and play with her when she sees that I'm not trying to hurt her, but the flinch is pretty distinct. But, she's gorgeous and friendly, so no complaints from me so far.

Goood Girrrll! :love:

My daughter's dog has a noticeable flinch when you reach out to pet his head. At one point it got really bad - until I noticed he had ear mites so bad that his ears were gnarly. (She had just had a baby and had her hands full and didn't check on the dogs as she should have.) Once they cleared that up, he still flinches. :dunno:

As your dog has just come from the vet, this is probably not the case. Sometimes it takes years to get a dog used to new treatment or behaviors. My kitty at first didn't like his toes to be touched, but I LOVED patting his sweet little pads! After around two years of my gently working him around to it, he would actually spread his toes when I'd do it! :P

Enjoy your new doggy love, Sivin! She looks most soft and adorable!

Well, seeing as how I've been on this board a long time and feel that I can reasonably trust the answers of the people here, I felt comfortable asking a very general question late at night when I could not call my vet. Thanks.

On another note, seeing as how I've kinda given a commitment on how this would play out, this is my new dog. She is a 2 year old stray, but because she had a microchip, the shelter knew her name was Gypsy (though somehow could not get into contact with the previous owner). I was going to try and get her to respond to a new name, but it's kind of growing on me... Gypsy.

She's very nice and energetic, but I'm afraid she's been mistreated because every time I reach out to pet her she flinches back. She lets me pet her and play with her when she sees that I'm not trying to hurt her, but the flinch is pretty distinct. But, she's gorgeous and friendly, so no complaints from me so far.

She's lovely.

I like Gypsy as a name, and at least its something familiar to her, :)

Give her time, too. My dog was almost 2 when we got him, and he'd always lived in kennels at the breeder's. He wasn't housetrained and was really hyper indoors. Right now though he's cuddled up as close as he can get to the heater, and snoring!

She's a beauty Sivin!

I wouldn't worry about the flinching. My folks' new 2 year old boxer Kahlua was doing the same thing and was overly submissive when she went to them in mid-June. After 2 months, she has really settled in and the flinching has stopped. She is turning into a confident friendly dog.

Congrats, have many happy years together :cheers:

Don't worry about her flinching. Even if she hadn't have "a past" (and I don't say she didn't, but who could tell), she will need some time to settle in. Just don't spoil her too much ;)

Archived